Join Early Retirement Today

Suspending Sales? Wow!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Suspending Sales? Wow!

Never seen this happen before.

Quote:
Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending U.S. sales of eight recalled models to fix accelerator pedals that stick, the latest quality problem to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.
The "stop sale" involves a significant portion of Toyota's fleet and some of its most popular vehicles, including the Camry and Corolla. As part of the plan, Toyota is halting production at five manufacturing facilities for the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities." There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week.
"This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized," said Bob Carter, Toyota's group vice president and general manager.
The Japanese automaker said the sales suspension includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.
Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled models - Yahoo! Finance=

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It's jidoka on a massive scale:

Stopping The Line
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought a 2010 Camry. Oops!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Somehow the $260 I spent this past weekend to have my 7 year old car fixed doesn't seem so bad...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I read that earlier tonight and was wondering how the salespeople at Toyota were taking it. Wish one was one the board to ask...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It all sounds like the plot of a bad movie. The US automakers are struggling, and their toughest competitor has a very bad problem with their product line and suspends sales. Public confidence takes a nose dive due to all the horrible speculations about product safety. US automakers make big come back.
I can't help but wonder who the bad guys are that tampered with Toyota's designs. And I hope they get a good actor to play the bad guy. Just kidding of course!

I drive a 2005 Avalon and I sure hope that find out how to fix the problem soon. I also have a Toyota Yaris. That's the car the neighbors laugh at, but gosh, it hasn't been recalled yet! I think I will drive the Yaris more in the next few weeks.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is huge.

When is the last time we ever had a problem this huge in the auto industry?

I actually have had an accelerator pedal sticking happen to me. We bought a used Skylark (can't remember what year) in 1982 or 1983. I didn't know what to do when the pedal got stuck so I pressed on the brake while trying to decide what to do. My tires were smoking. Good thing there weren't any cars in front of me. I can't remember what I ended up doing though. I might have used my emergency brake, put the car in neutral maybe. I somehow parked my car on the side of the road. I was shaking all over from the terror of it all.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

It's not going to be as big a deal as you think. They are being overcautious, and this will NOT be the demise of Toyota.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Having w*rked as an engineer for MegaMotors, I can't imagine how much pressure these engineers are under. When we had even a minor glitch that delayed a single model for even a day, the pressure was immense and the work nonstop. Not only do you need to find a solution, you need to prove that that solution is robust and will not screw up anything else on the car, like emissions, fuel economy, crash performace, durability, etc, etc.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As a passenger, I always thought the accelerator surging problem in my MIL's 2008 Corolla was due to MIL's age and driving ability. I might have to give it a test drive to see if the problem could be the car and not her.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's jidoka on a massive scale
I think Toyota had to choose between the "Intel Pentium flaw" approach or the "J&J poisoned Tylenol" approach.

Or maybe it's more appropriate to compare it to "Ford's flaming cruise controller" tactics...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think this is going to hurt their long term sales, not just their short term..

I would say Honda, Hyundai and Mazda will sell more... not sure how much more that would have bought a Toyota would go to Chevy or Ford...

I am surprised Chrysler can sell one car... but I bet I might hear from someone on the board why they bought one...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I think this is going to hurt their long term sales, not just their short term..

I would say Honda, Hyundai and Mazda will sell more... not sure how much more that would have bought a Toyota would go to Chevy or Ford...
Hard to say. It remains to be seen to what extent this erodes the pervasive mindset that "Japanese = safer and more reliable". Those whose faith in Japan isn't shaken overall may consider a Honda, for example. Those who are starting to wonder if the emperor might be more scantily clad than they originally thought might re-consider Detroit, particularly Ford for a number of factors (improving quality, no bailout backlash, et cetera).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Three cheers to the LA Times and other news agencies that didn't let Toyota and the NHTSA sweep this under the rug like they tried to do for years.

Runaway Toyota cases ignored - Los Angeles Times

We looked at Toyotas when we needed to buy a new car recently, but ended up getting a Subaru because of articles like the one above.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Those who are starting to wonder if the emperor might be more scantily clad than they originally thought might re-consider Detroit, particularly Ford for a number of factors (improving quality, no bailout backlash, et cetera).
On Consumer Reports, Ford actually has very good repair records these days.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It's the Audi "sudden acceleration" thing all over again. Once the issue comes up, the reports flow in, the re-appraisal of previous reports starts, and it is damn near impossible to cut through the sensationalism to find and implement a fix, harder still to get the public to accept it.

This is all about a defect in the design of the accelerator pedal, right? That doesn't sound like a huge engineering effort will be required to fix it. And Toyota made this decision on their own (after considering all tyhe pros and cons)--good for them.

Hopefully they'll also modify the fuel control circuitry to command reduced throttle settings when the brakes are applied. If they do, I think they'll be ahead of other automakers.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Yeah, I read that earlier tonight and was wondering how the salespeople at Toyota were taking it. Wish one was one the board to ask...
I didn't know about it when I bought my Venza yesterday (which isn't one of the affected models). My Toyota dealership only had 1-2 other buyers while I was there from 2:00-5:30 PM, and at least one was having credit/money problems and looked like she was giving up. I thought the lack of customers was just because it was a Tuesday afternoon and not Saturday. My salesman seemed really happy when I wrote out the check, though!

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that most Toyota customers are extremely loyal, and will just wait to buy (if they can) and go back to Toyota as soon as the issues are fixed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is all about a defect in the design of the accelerator pedal, right? That doesn't sound like a huge engineering effort will be required to fix it. And Toyota made this decision on their own (after considering all tyhe pros and cons)--good for them.
I'm not sure about all that. We had an earlier thread on this and I seem to remember that Toyo claimed there was no series of problems other than cars with the wrong floor mats and driver's who couldn't figure out how to fix it. DOT or NHTSA or whoever went along with that until the death of the CHP officer and his family put this story on the front pages everywhere.

The government, which had been following the Toyo line of reasoning - did a very public 180 - leaving the mfgr lonely in the dock by itself

I think Toyo just faced up to the reality when they were forced to.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

What I wonder is how do they know which vehicles are excluded ? Since the Solara was basically a sporty Camry but it is excluded from the recall . I love my Toyota but I'm not sure if I'll stick with them after this incident . That article from the Los Angeles Times has me pretty spooked .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I don't regret buying my Camry one bit. I used to have a VW so I am used to recalls... (just got another notice in the mail last week). I am not at all worried about Toyota's actions. Now that Toyota is the big dog on the block, greater scrutiny is to be expected. I have seen the same kind of virulent attacks against Apple and Google recently. It comes with the territory.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote