Join Early Retirement Today

Swallowtail butterflies
Old 09-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Swallowtail butterflies

So the other day was picking some parsley and saw caterpillars on it, thought very cool initial though was monarchs, came in looked at monarch cats and it wasn't them but swallowtail's (figure 9), and that's where they lay there eggs. watched them grow and grow and grow ;-). had some peonies right next to parsley, as they were disappearing figured they'd go to next phase in there? Well never found them, so yesterday one cat was trying to escape, actually dropped to ground, watched and then moved a stick so it'd crawl onto it and I'd move to peonies. just stayed still, ok moved to potted hibiscus, didn't like that just went around in circles.... Oh well...

Today out kitchen window saw another swallowtail, fluttering around, went outside and it was laying eggs on the parsley again !!!!

4-9 days should see next stage. Was very cool, never saw cast work through the stages of life....

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures...wallowtail.htm
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is pretty cool! We have had a lot of different butterflies this year but not sure why there has been so many.

The middle part of our property has a pretty large open field with some tall wildflowers. We rarely see it since it's obscured from the "main" part of the property by a 100' deep grove of trees. The other day, I was taking some yard waste to the "way back" and was amazed to see that the field was absolutely COVERED UP in butterflies! It's too bad it's not visible all the time.

We have also had a bunch of the Black Swallowtails which I don't recall seeing in the past. Not sure what's up with that, either.

edit: I guess I haven't been paying attention. An article from 2018 tells me that our state is home to 170+ species of butterflies!
Old 09-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yep Black Swallowtails use parsley. We have some wild native parsley here and I see them laying eggs on that.

We’ve recorded 152 species of butterfly visiting our yard which is a butterfly garden. The county list is like 239.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep, we grow a half-bed of parsley every year to observe the swallowtails. They do seem to JUST focus on parsley - always amazes me that they end up finding enough food as parley is not that prevalent around here. I suppose if pressed, they probably do have some alternatives that they can utilize, but clearly, parsley is #1 choice.
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
So the other day was picking some parsley and saw caterpillars on it, thought very cool initial though was monarchs, came in looked at monarch cats and it wasn't them but swallowtail's (figure 9), and that's where they lay there eggs. watched them grow and grow and grow ;-). had some peonies right next to parsley, as they were disappearing figured they'd go to next phase in there? Well never found them, so yesterday one cat was trying to escape, actually dropped to ground, watched and then moved a stick so it'd crawl onto it and I'd move to peonies. just stayed still, ok moved to potted hibiscus, didn't like that just went around in circles.... Oh well...

Today out kitchen window saw another swallowtail, fluttering around, went outside and it was laying eggs on the parsley again !!!!

4-9 days should see next stage. Was very cool, never saw cast work through the stages of life....

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures...wallowtail.htm
That is interesting! I'm not sure if I ever seen a black swallowtail in the wild. They do come in many different colors thou. I think they are one of the most beautiful butterflies there is.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yep, we grow a half-bed of parsley every year to observe the swallowtails. They do seem to JUST focus on parsley - always amazes me that they end up finding enough food as parley is not that prevalent around here. I suppose if pressed, they probably do have some alternatives that they can utilize, but clearly, parsley is #1 choice.
I think they do eat some other related herbs. We had a bunch on fennel one year and I suspect it was the black swallowtail.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

i dont understand this :

The eastern black swallowtail is one of our most common and most studied swallowtails. Although it is admired for its beauty, it is one of the very few butterflies that may occasionally be considered a PEST.

Eggs are laid singly on the host plants—usually on new foliage and occasionally on flowers. Development time is variable depending on temperature and host plant species, but generally the egg stage lasts four to nine days, the larval stage 10–30 days, and the pupal stage nine to 18 days (except for overwintering pupae). Pupae are the overwintering stage. There are two generations in northern parts of the range but at least three generations in the South (Minno et al 2005, Opler & Krizek 1984).

will start looking for cats in about 9 days. figure 6 of link i guess will be what i'm looking for.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If it eats all your parsley - some people don’t like that.

The initial caterpillars are so tiny that they are quite difficult to see.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If it eats all your parsley - some people don’t like that.

The initial caterpillars are so tiny that they are quite difficult to see.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but we generally don't mind. We get to use SOME of the parley early on and then we basically turn it over to the swallowtails. We get the entertainment factor
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #10

This is my only experience with swallowtail butterflies. It comes from a highly educational show. Probably shown on PBS back in the day…

https://youtu.be/_O1ZViuXekQ
Old 09-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We have some black swallowtails, but it seems like we have more yellow ones. The yellow ones like the Joe Pyweeds on our property and field thistles in the nearby prairie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2B8AC2A6-39F7-49A1-99B9-CF4DFCC47B3A.jpeg (1.66 MB, 18 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #13

sep 16.jpg

so here will be start of documentation of their stages.....

in about 4-9 days we should see some ugly cats....
first stage
Papilio-polyxenes-photo-16.jpg
Old 09-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We have some black swallowtails, but it seems like we have more yellow ones. The yellow ones like the Joe Pyweeds on our property and field thistles in the nearby prairie.
Yep that is the colour I see often here.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #15

Our local swallowtail is the Blue, or Dutchmans swallowtail, or Pipevine swallowtail, depending where they are. I think they are more on the shiny black side but that darn Arizona sun does strange things.

It too lays eggs on a poisonous plant, Watson's Dutchman's Pipe(vine). The caterpillar and butterfly have built in toxin, so not many critters mess with them.

I get a lot of the plants and all the neighbors ask to share the bounty.

I went out at 4:30PM 90+degrees no butterflies, but a caterpillar on what is left of the host plant. And a wild desert box turtle snuck up behind me for a ripe prickly pear fruit(tuna).
IMG_20210916_162319412.jpg

IMG_20210916_161743973.jpg
Old 09-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #16

well like clockwork, laid on 15th popped on 19th, we have ugly cats ;-)
they are about 3/16" big. wish i had a macro lens for my A6000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sep 19 (2).jpg (585.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg sep 19 c (3).jpg (721.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg sep 19 b (2).jpg (527.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #17

just now coming back from checking crab pots , round the corner of house, there is another black swallowtail butterfly, landing of parsley, moving to another spot.... Slowly inch my way to watch and see if she's laying eggs. She wasn't.....

I'm guessing she just emerged from the chrysalis and now finishing up flight school to head south...

i have been gently looking at the peonies trying to gently spot one in chrysalis form. no joy so far...
Old 09-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #18

back from Poconos, here's latest progress.

still haven't found any chrysalis from other batch...

the one with eggs looks like some empty egg sacks and then ones block look ready to pop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC9316 (2).jpg (588.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC9317 (2).jpg (521.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC9321 (2).jpg (463.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice! I don’t remember seeing eggs before.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
just now coming back from checking crab pots , round the corner of house, there is another black swallowtail butterfly, landing of parsley, moving to another spot.... Slowly inch my way to watch and see if she's laying eggs. She wasn't.....

I'm guessing she just emerged from the chrysalis and now finishing up flight school to head south...

i have been gently looking at the peonies trying to gently spot one in chrysalis form. no joy so far...
Swallowtail butterflies don’t migrate. They overwinter in some form - eggs most likely.

Well this says Black Swallowtail butterflies overwinter in their chrysalis form.
https://www.oneearthbodycare.com/how...es-overwinter/