Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I can buy a thermostat with the above function, that would be great.

PS. My niece gave me a Nest thermostat, and I have not even opened it up in 2 years. It may have that function!
Check it out, I'd imagine it does.

Our thermostat is branded as "Trane", but I imagine it is made for them and they slap their name on it? It does many things well, but the UI for the most basic things is stunningly awful.

I'm kicking myself for not complaining to the installer shortly after we got it, I really should have demanded to have a different thermostat installed, this one is just awful. The most common changes, like oh... changing the temperature... take multiply prods and pokes at tiny little targets with tiny little text and not much hinting as to what you need to do. You just have to memorize it. And sometimes long delays between pokes and prods, so you aren't quite sure if you are doing it right, since you don;t get good feedback. My adult daughter couldn't figure it out when she stayed over when we were out.

And why do we need a 'sleep' screen saver on an LCD?And in sleep mode, it only shows the current temperature, not the set temperature. Hey, I already know if I'm hot or cold, I don't need a thermometer to tell me that, I want to know what it is set at to know if I want to change it.

I could go on, but I won't. It's almost amazing how many things they could do wrong, they must have had a contest!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

@Jerry1, yes, the bonus room walls, floors, and ceilings are insulated. Insulated adequately? Not sure, but from what I can tell (from other things I've looked at) the insulation installer did a reasonably decent mid-priced job of it.

@ERD50, yup, running the fan all the time does even out the temperature difference. Usually my son does a combination of lowering the A/C upper limit temp and turn the fan on. I don't know the electricity cost of just the blower fan. Presumably 0 < fan < A/C.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know the electricity cost of just the blower fan. Presumably 0 < fan < A/C.
By definition it is less than the A/C plus fan, since the fan runs when A/C is on. Also, the "ON"/"circulate" setting runs the fan at a slow (low power) speed, and A/C probably runs it at the high speed, so a further reduction.

But it is also running longer, but I still think it would be a pretty small increase overall. Those A/C compressors are what really suck the power. The fan runs on 120V/15A circuit, the compressor needs 240V hi-amp circuits.

-ERD50
Old 06-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Is there any way to put some sort of diversion flap in the main A/C system so that it preferentially sends conditioned air to a subset of vents? I thought I saw something like that on Ask This Old House one time.
yes, we had something like this in our house in Houston - you could shut off entire ducts
Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I haven't. But my bedroom is on the main floor.

My son living in the bonus room has. (I have given him permission to adjust the thermostat.)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Additional question: Is there any way to put some sort of diversion flap in the main A/C system so that it preferentially sends conditioned air to a subset of vents? I thought I saw something like that on Ask This Old House one time.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Check it out, I'd imagine it does...
The Nest that I was gifted, T3007ES, does have some function like that, according to the Web.

But I recall my son complaining about it. Because it is a "smart" thermostat, you cannot tell it to absolutely raise the temperature for the peak-demand period. You can only "suggest" that it does so. And you have to play with the setting for its "learning brain" to do what you really want. My son said he had to observe what it did, then guessed what change he had to make so that it would raise the temperature at the right time that he wanted.

Nope. Not for me. I want a deterministic thermostat, that I can set exactly to avoid 3x the rate during peak hours. None of this "dumb-ass smartness" for me.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The Nest that I was gifted, T3007ES, does have some function like that, according to the Web.

But I recall my son complaining about it. Because it is a "smart" thermostat, you cannot tell it to absolutely raise the temperature for the peak-demand period. You can only "suggest" that it does so. And you have to play with the setting for its "learning brain" to do what you really want. My son said he had to observe what it did, then guessed what change he had to make so that it would raise the temperature at the right time that he wanted.

Nope. Not for me. I want a deterministic thermostat, that I can set exactly to avoid 3x the rate during peak hours. None of this "dumb-ass smartness" for me.
Interesting. Though I'm pretty sure that the Nest includes a more 'old fashioned' Time-of-day/Day-of-Week schedule timer that you program manually.

My Son and his wife shut off the 'smart' function of the Nest that was in the house they bought. It kept doing completely screwy things - suddenly, it's super cold every Saturday, why? Oh yeah, two weeks ago last Saturday, the movers were here, it was unseasonably warm, so we blasted the A/C. So now the 'smart' Nest thinks they want to butcher a pig every Saturday

But I'm pretty sure they still have it adjust the temperature for their day/night/work/home schedule.

-ERD50
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
At about 4:30 they have the solution to the problem that was mentioned that too little air-flow could cause a freeze-up of the coils - a 'bypass damper'. Very simple and cheap.

The bypass goes right from source to return, and will open if the pressure is high on the source side (because too many ducts are blocked). This keeps air flowing through the furnace/A/C.

Though they did it so you would not get too much noise from air rushing into a few ducts, and the cold air might still contribute to freezing, but it should help.

-ERD50
Old 06-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I got me a "retirement" thermostat.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I got me a "retirement" thermostat.
Don't laugh, I miss mine!

That device has an excellent user interface. At a glance, and with both hands full as you walk by, carrying something, you can see all the settings, and current temperature at a glance. Temperature setting? Set to ON/OFF/COOL? Fan on AUTO or ON? Current temperature?

Any setting is directly accessible, with positive tactile feedback. It just works. No batteries, no re-booting it.

OK, it doesn't do all the other 'smart stuff' that my new thermostat (mostly) does quite a good job at. But the point is, that should all be in addition to what the old round thermostat did. There is no reason to sacrifice the access to the common settings, and the no-touch feedback, everything else should be "in addition to".

-ERD50
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I grew up with a Honeywell in my parents' house.

Mine is a digital one, and the UI has some minor issues. The one improvement I like about mine is that it is bi-modal: I can set it to have heat come on at 68 and A/C come on at 73. So it will maintain the temperature between those two limits. With a Honeywell it was either heat or cool, not both.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have evaporative coolers on both ends of the house mounted on platforms (not on the roof). The one on the southwestern side (by the bedrooms) does not cool as well in hot weather (mid 90s), especially in the late afternoon and at dusk. Fortunately I am a night owl so just wait until 9-10 pm to turn it on. Have tried spraying cold water on the unit to cool it down but it did not help.

Tags
cooler, swamp, thermostat