Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Sweet $200 PenFed bonus
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sweet $200 PenFed bonus

https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premiu...rewards-415265

Spend $650 on the card w/in 3 months, get $200 in gift cards (Amazon is listed). No annual fee. Why yes, I will take a 30% discount on $650 in normal purchases thankyou please. Last time I took advantage of a similar PenFed offer it took about 4 months for the award to post, but hey, delayed gratification is something we're all used to.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm, thanks for posting. I'm working on a big Delta Skymiles spend right now (for the 70k bonus) or I'd sign up right away. I'll bookmark it and see if it is available once I'm sure I'll make the one I need.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don't qualify but did click on the link - it seemed to me like the $200 was points, not gift cards:

Quote:
20,000 bonus points when you spend $650 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account – that’s worth $200 toward your next round-trip airline ticket
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't qualify but did click on the link - it seemed to me like the $200 was points, not gift cards:
That's first glance, but read the second bullet under benefits:

Amazon is shown at the rewards site as a store that you can use the gift card with.

Being belt and suspenders I'd probably copy this for potential future use, but PenFed has yet to be other than stellar for us.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You're right - I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
That's first glance, but read the second bullet under benefits:

Amazon is shown at the rewards site as a store that you can use the gift card with.

Being belt and suspenders I'd probably copy this for potential future use, but PenFed has yet to be other than stellar for us.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You can also get visa gift cards..

http://goo.gl/HDJ6c

EDIT:

Oops just noticed this was for the AMEX, with the penfed visa you have the option for visa gift cards
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
You can also get visa gift cards..

http://goo.gl/HDJ6c

EDIT:

Oops just noticed this was for the AMEX, with the penfed visa you have the option for visa gift cards
Already have a couple of those pre-loaded Visa cards from my PenFed platinum cash reward card sitting in the desk drawer. Hard to use them and give up the 2% cash back from our Fidelity card. Guess that's called a first world problem.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Already have a couple of those pre-loaded Visa cards from my PenFed platinum cash reward card sitting in the desk drawer. Hard to use them and give up the 2% cash back from our Fidelity card. Guess that's called a first world problem.
+1
Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can walk into a bank and they'll cash out the card for you. My favorite move is to go to amazon, buy an amazon gift card for the full amount of the visa (using the prepaid card as a 'new payment' while checking out) and then after getting the amazon gift card email, apply the amount of the amazon gift card to my amazon account. Takes less than a minute, and then when you buy on amazon, you can use your points.

I built two computers last year and had about 35 rebates in total. All disappeared into my amazon account in no time, and I'm still spending it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You can walk into a bank and they'll cash out the card for you. My favorite move is to go to amazon, buy an amazon gift card for the full amount of the visa (using the prepaid card as a 'new payment' while checking out) and then after getting the amazon gift card email, apply the amount of the amazon gift card to my amazon account. Takes less than a minute, and then when you buy on amazon, you can use your points.

I built two computers last year and had about 35 rebates in total. All disappeared into my amazon account in no time, and I'm still spending it.
Given that cash is of more utility than plastic and I wouldn't have to call the phone # on the back of the card to see what was left on it at each spending point I hustled down and got our local bank to tell me about cashing the cards out. They would be happy to do so, but would charge a 2% fee. Ahh fudgesicles! Dunno if that was a small-town bank issue. Still have a bunch of Amazon credit from a Citi bank card bonus - maybe I'll burn up the pre-loaded cards on some big rental repairs upcoming.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Given that cash is of more utility than plastic and I wouldn't have to call the phone # on the back of the card to see what was left on it at each spending point I hustled down and got our local bank to tell me about cashing the cards out. They would be happy to do so, but would charge a 2% fee. Ahh fudgesicles! Dunno if that was a small-town bank issue. Still have a bunch of Amazon credit from a Citi bank card bonus - maybe I'll burn up the pre-loaded cards on some big rental repairs upcoming.
If it was YOUR bank, then they shouldn't have charged you anything. If it was your bank and they still tried to charge you, I'd look for another bank. Bank of america just hands me cash for these, but I have to walk over there. Amazon's stuff (and walmart and others work) is pretty easy to do. Wish they paid interest!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote