Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
...Some of my lights turn on after a slight delay. I think the contacts are oxydized from humidity over the years (Florida).
I have an older model LED bulb which does this. It may not be the switch. If it were corrosion I think you'd be getting resistance, and the switch would get warm or hot. I don't think you'd get a delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Just in time for Halloween
I want one!!

When I first re-wired my house I used dark brown outlets and switches. Probably because I had a bunch of them laying around that I'd salvaged from somewhere. This past week I've been replacing the last batch of them, in two back rooms, with ivory (or almond, I always forget which. I have to bring one to the store and compare.)

We have one "fancy" ceramic design switch plate my wife picked up at some craft fair or something. I never really saw the point. Plain and unobtrusive fits my style best.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #42

Mom often used mirrored covers...& she had the door hardware in her last home replaced with solid brass...I still have the extras.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We are fans of white Lutron Maestro switches with the screwless wall plates. We put these throughout the house, except that there are no outlets in any of our backsplashes. We put power strips in the kitchen so there are no visible outlets.

https://www.lutron.com/en-US/Product...ngProduct.aspx

Could you elaborate a little on the power strips? Are these something integrated into the counter top? Or back edge of the counter top instead of further up on the wall? I am curious how that works out with appliances like a coffee maker, etc. Maybe this is an upgrade I should consider when redoing my countertops.

Those screwless wall plates look nice, but are they secure? After doing a few DIY repairs and watching others do them on youtube/tv, I concluded that wall plates are not simply decorative but in some cases part of structure and electrical safety. Since sometimes the 2x4 stud is not straight inside the wall, which then pulls the outlet box behind the drywall a little off square. Another issue is if there are big switches (such as a dimmer or timer) and stiff copper wires in a crowded box, the wall plate is the last chance to keep the switches plumb/square and everything safely buttoned up. But I do like the end result if it can be made secure.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A neighbor in our building redid her kitchen and "commissioned" someone to create ceramic tiles that, when applied, created a tropical scene across one wall - included back splash, under cabinet, partial floor-to-ceiling wall. Since switch plates and outlets would be covered, she insisted that they too be made of ceramic tile and blended into the scene. It was a stunning achievement but she wouldn't even talk about what it cost (we ever-so-gently-hinted that we'd like to know - and she ignored it.) The remainder of the switch plates and outlets in the apartment were also covered with hand-crafted ceramic tiles. $20K? $30K? $40K? Maybe more. But she enjoyed BTD on what she wanted. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
Could you elaborate a little on the power strips? Are these something integrated into the counter top? Or back edge of the counter top instead of further up on the wall? I am curious how that works out with appliances like a coffee maker, etc. Maybe this is an upgrade I should consider when redoing my countertops.

Those screwless wall plates look nice, but are they secure? After doing a few DIY repairs and watching others do them on youtube/tv, I concluded that wall plates are not simply decorative but in some cases part of structure and electrical safety. Since sometimes the 2x4 stud is not straight inside the wall, which then pulls the outlet box behind the drywall a little off square. Another issue is if there are big switches (such as a dimmer or timer) and stiff copper wires in a crowded box, the wall plate is the last chance to keep the switches plumb/square and everything safely buttoned up. But I do like the end result if it can be made secure.

The power strips are under the cabinets along with the under cabinet lighting. They are really great for appliances you use occasionally. For me, that is our food processor, air fryer, mixer, etc. The only small kitchen appliance we use regularly is our coffee maker. We have our coffee maker on the opposite wall and had the outlet placed so that it would be covered by the coffee maker.

The screwless covers are fine as far as keeping things intact and secure. We put them into our 2015 renovation of our coastal home and used them again in our current home. No problems whatsoever. Another great thing about Lutron lighting is that it can now be “smart.” We can control most of our lighting from our phones from any location.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We're having a house built. We agonized long and hard over this decision, believe it or not. We finally decided to go with black. Those SnapPower lighted outlets that several of you shared are pretty cool. We may add a few after we move in, unless we decide to stick with nightlights that will stay powered and double as a mini-flashlight in the event of a power outage.
scfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #47

Timely thread. We just had some painting done, and cover plates really don't match. And the switches and outlets are the same beige color.

So, off to Lowes tomorrow. New switches, outlets and cover plates. Hardly blow the dough. At about $0.60 each for plates, switches and outlets, $30 ought to cover it (with a few spares)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ours were all paddles decorator size shiny black when we bought this house. In orange and yellow walls. Atrocious. Switched them out first thing.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

In a similar vein have you all been tempted to upgrade the color or style of interior door knobs, hinges, strike plates, etc. I have been contemplating that much more so than changing electrical outlets, switches, and covers. But it is a lot more work and then calls into question upgrading even more items.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a major reno about 4 years ago, including painting all rooms. My designer friend talked me into painting EVERYthing in 3 shades of gray. This is a BIG house, and I was trying to imagine those acres of gray, but it ended up looking great.

The outlets & switches were all 27 yrs old so I decided to update those too. I was at Home Depot and noticed, off to the side of the normal colors, they had gray! It matched my middle-gray color PERFECTLY. Looks really nice! Good thing, because I swapped out something over 100 switches and outlets...
GaryInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
In a similar vein have you all been tempted to upgrade the color or style of interior door knobs, hinges, strike plates, etc. I have been contemplating that much more so than changing electrical outlets, switches, and covers. But it is a lot more work and then calls into question upgrading even more items.

Yes. A year or 2 ago I decided I was sick of brass hardware. So changed all my door knobs , hinges ,strike plates etc to brushed nickel. Much better.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Wallpaper
Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wallpaper

Bought current house from original owner. Built in 1951. Some switches and plates were wallpapered to match. They also wallpapered the bathroom ceiling, garbage cans, inside closets, etc... Anyway, replaced most of them except for this room - stripped wallpaper and painted dark green. We kept the plate because it looks kinda cool and it's a reminder of all the work we did!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0234A213-AE04-439E-B705-2A0EA8C7F284.jpg (636.4 KB, 29 views)
BoldPelikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Yes. A year or 2 ago I decided I was sick of brass hardware. So changed all my door knobs , hinges ,strike plates etc to brushed nickel. Much better.
Sounds like my situation, except the original hardware remains. I had never been bothered by the brass door hardware until replacing bathroom faucets and realizing how coordinated the whole house had been. I like the look of antique brass against stained wood, but dislike it for interior painted doors.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #54

Anybody's house old enough that it still has push button switches?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #55
Administrator

We do. House built in 1857. I don't know when it was electrified, but it once had knob and tube wiring. The posts are still in the cellar.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #56

We had knob and tube wiring in a former house that was built in the 1920s.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Anybody's house old enough that it still has push button switches?

Mine did when I bought it.

It also had an Edison base "outlet" on the wall. I guess you could screw in a light bulb and stick a lamp shade on it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Black bakelite with flip switches, Push bottons for on/off, small plastic rocker switches, large plastic rocker switches, slide dimmers with tiny on/off rocker switches at the bottom, push button round dimmer switches, 5 parallel horizontal switches where the high ones run the heat light or exhaust fans for longer. Brass. Silver. White, Ivory., Grey. Plates with screws or snap-on.

Yes we have moved a lot.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

When we did our major remodel we agonized over many things, switchcovers and wallplates not being one of them. We are still happy with our beige(ish) white plastic covers/plates. One thing I like about this forum is the interesting discussions over topics I never ever considered
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote