Join Early Retirement Today

switching insurance
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

switching insurance

I have all my insurance with one company and am fed up with them. I am going to switch. the question I have is that each insurance comes up at different times of the year. If I switch, and sign up with another company, they will want me to pay 6 months all at that time. will the remaining premiums I paid my current company be lost or will they reimburse me for the remaining time? Just thought someone on here might know from experience. thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I switched my car insurance out of Liberty, which I had paid in full for a year, they gave me back the unused portion down to the day.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #3

Insurance policies can be either pro rata (full prorated cancellation) or short rate (less than full prorated cancellation). I suspect most of the large personal lines insurers are pro rata, but I would check with your insurer.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

Your former insurance company should give you a refund for the unused period of time. Just contact them after your new coverage is in place.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

pro-rata refund when I switched from Amica to NJM

I am surprised you have more than one company.
Both Amica and NJM gave discounts when bundling.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

I only had one company state farm.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I only had one company state farm.
It's good to switch or at least shop.

We had an agent who was playing games with our driving records in order to lock us in. We only found out by shopping and questioning the quoted rates. Turned out our agent didn't disclose the facts to Nexis Lexis. The accident where I was rear-ended was not my fault!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote