Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tablets for Frugaleers
Old 02-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Tablets for Frugaleers

First the Amazon "Fire"...
Good deal... $39.95... free shipping... and then, getting to the shopping cart, a $50 special bonus for opening an account... Now I have a new 7 inch Fire Table that works great. Had to side load Goggle Play, but that was just a 15 minute task. Love the tablet... Most tech website give it high marks.
.... and I still have a $10 credit on the new account.

Second... Was from Walmart... special deal a few weeks a go... An LG Sunrise Phone, which I didn't activate, but use as a tablet. Has all the bells and whistles, and includes Google play. The price (no shipping) was $9.85...
This too works great. Fun to play with and no worries if it gets dropped or lost.
Still available I think, but maybe a few dollars more.

Anyway, for inexpensive fun or for kids, two low cost "tablets". I expect we'll see more of these specials in the future.

Boggles the mind when I think of buying that Apple IIE for nearly $1,000.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a Fire as well and adore it. Mine cost a bit more than yours (I got it before they radically dropped their prices last year) but it is worth every penny. I have been really happy with it.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

$9.85... yep, in my past I've spent boatloads more for less-capable computers.

I'm impressed with the cheap Windows tablets now available. I'm typing this on a Microcenter WinBook TW801, $99 about a year ago. 2 core processor, 2GB of memory, and the kicker, a full-sized USB 3.0 port I could plug card readers into. Great tablet for travel photography; on our anniversary trip last year, each evening I'd download the day's 'catch' and use the Windows Photos app to review and do minor edits.

In one of the photo forums, a fellow posted an inquiry about the Dell Venue, a refurbished deal for his wife for Valentine's day, and he got a ration of derision for going cheap on his poor spouse. Gee, I'm thinking 1) he might be on a tight budget, 2) at least he's thinking of his wife, and 3) the danged thing should work just fine for her. People...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazing what a few $ buys today.

I bought a lower-end tablet ~ 2 years ago just to see if I would really use it. I didn't want to be too cheap, because that might make me think I wouldn't use a tablet, versus not using a cheap tablet. So I made sure it had 1GB RAM, sd card, usb, hdmi, BT and GPS, and I got all that for $135. It has features my DW's iPad does not, and hers was ~ 3-4x the price.

Anyhow, I use it a lot, so at some point I will replace it with a higher grade unit, and probably still pay less.

These very cheap units have their place too. With all the apps available, you can use a cheap phone/tablet as a very flexible kitchen timer and dozens of other things, and it doesn't cost much (if any) more than a decent kitchen timer.

They make great internet radios. With a cheap SD card, you can store lots of music on it, just connect the headphone jack to some decent amp/speakers, or use headphones. Lots of uses. At this point, I've got a few old low-end smart phones that I use for that kind of thing, so I don't need to buy new ones.

And if you get one with GPS, you can use an app like OSMand or "here Maps" and you don't need a data connection for GPS navigation, so it is like a standalone GPS.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Amazing what a few $ buys today.

I bought a lower-end tablet ~ 2 years ago just to see if I would really use it. I didn't want to be too cheap, because that might make me think I wouldn't use a tablet, versus not using a cheap tablet. So I made sure it had 1GB RAM, sd card, usb, hdmi, BT and GPS, and I got all that for $135. It has features my DW's iPad does not, and hers was ~ 3-4x the price.

Anyhow, I use it a lot, so at some point I will replace it with a higher grade unit, and probably still pay less.

These very cheap units have their place too. With all the apps available, you can use a cheap phone/tablet as a very flexible kitchen timer and dozens of other things, and it doesn't cost much (if any) more than a decent kitchen timer.

They make great internet radios. With a cheap SD card, you can store lots of music on it, just connect the headphone jack to some decent amp/speakers, or use headphones. Lots of uses. At this point, I've got a few old low-end smart phones that I use for that kind of thing, so I don't need to buy new ones.

And if you get one with GPS, you can use an app like OSMand or "here Maps" and you don't need a data connection for GPS navigation, so it is like a standalone GPS.

-ERD50
I have an out of date 32GB Nexus 7, cost $350 new, I bought the cheapest GPS tablet I could find for water/travel activities a $55 2 camera, GPS, microsd, HDMI, BT. I carry the cheap tablet most the time.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

I love my IPad 2, but only have it because my husband won it at a professional conference before he retired. I thought about getting the Fire tablet for my grandkids, but need to clear it with their parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to be off topic, but wanted to share my frugal deal of yesterday:
Went to a local ski shop to get my new boots adjusted to my bindings.

"Ummm, those bindings are too old, Mister"
"Ok, how much are new bindings?"
"$130, but your skis are too old for the new style bindings" (they're not THAT old...maybe 12 years old)
"Crap! So I need new skis?"
"We're going out of business so we have some great deals on skis and bindings..."

I got $750 skis and bindings for $230!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but wanted to share my frugal deal of yesterday:
Went to a local ski shop to get my new boots adjusted to my bindings.

"Ummm, those bindings are too old, Mister"
"Ok, how much are new bindings?"
"$130, but your skis are too old for the new style bindings" (they're not THAT old...maybe 12 years old)
"Crap! So I need new skis?"
"We're going out of business so we have some great deals on skis and bindings..."

I got $750 skis and bindings for $230!
You DID get a good deal. I went out west in December on my straight ski's and was shamed into getting the newer style parabolic. They sure do make it easy to get down the mountain. I paid $750 for all new gear (2015 last years model) but much less than retail of course.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I got the Fire 7 inch tablet for $35 before Christmas. I makes a great travel tablet, just the right size, does all I need it to do while traveling, and if I lose it, drop it or it gets stolen, I don't lose the farm.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I also have a $35 Kindle Fire and it is just okay in its stock configuration. But, use Root Junky's Google Play install and it's basically a full android tablet. I love it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lnspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We bought 3 Kindle FIRE 6" last year so the kids would have entertainment and books while we were traveling for 7 weeks. At $65-70 a pop they were a steal. I've heard the newer $40 tablet is fairly similar in specs to what we got, so a great deal. It's not quite an ipad but definitely a nice tablet for the price (and 7-20x cheaper than an ipad).