Join Early Retirement Today

Talk me out of buying another 'fun' car!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Talk me out of buying another 'fun' car!!!

I found a sweeet 1986 Monte Carlo SS with 79k original miles, shiny original paint, loaded etc.....for only $3500 bucks. I figure I can drive it around in the nice weather as a daily driver...for a few years....then when it's 25 years old and doesnt need emission testing - out comes the motor for a big block!!! A new, black on black paint job with some shiny wheels and it will be #2 of my 3 most desired cars. I already have my 79 camaro. All I need to round out the group is a 70-ish Cutlass 442

Whaddaya think??
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Decadent indulgence for less than the price of an HDTV? Go 4 it! Which engine is in it now....350SB?
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #3

I believe it was a 305CI motor. They ran good but no power.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's 3500 bucks NOW - - but how much will it cost to keep it in good repair and running? Sounds like a money pit to me.

Well, you asked us to talk you out of it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #5

yep, its the 305. common misconception is that they came with 350's...they never did.

i think these cars will continue to rise in value over time. i see many of them in this condition for 5-8k. Not sure what the difference is, but htis one for 3500 looks as nice as some ive seen sell for 5k+. The 9-10k pricetags are likely over optimistic!!

So MAAAYBE it could be considered an investment? Or MAYBE it can be my business-car for estimates and such - tax writeoff...lol

no. NO. NOOO. fight the urge

Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #6

I am not the one to try talking someone out of buying a "new" motorized toy. Presently have 10 vehicles; 10 motorcycles; 4 boats. One of the several reasons I retired was so I can play more with the toys.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Total waste of money and a sign of pretending to be a teenager again.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Total waste of money and a sign of pretending to be a teenager again.
OK. Then what's the down side?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

One man's fun is another man's torture.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post

i think these cars will continue to rise in value over time.

Car and rise in value should not be in thae same sentence.

Fed, keep filling that emergency fund. The tenant you were describing the other day will leave you with a two month vacancy soon.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #11

The joy you will get from that car will almost certainly exceed what you would get doing anything else with the money.

Unless it's really stupid, I have a hard time talking somebody out of a fun car.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #12

I'm not the guy to talk you out of it. I'm awaiting delivery of a 63 Sunbeam Alpine I just bought for a lot more than $3500. You have to enjoy life a bit even if you LBYM.

Do it.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

If it makes you happy buy it ! What's the fun of having money if we can't splurge occasionally ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
You'll Shoot your Eye Out
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #14

You'll Shoot your Eye Out

You'll just get a speeding ticket.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #15

Fed, I don't want to talk you out of it unless you know you can't afford it.
If you can afford it and no one in your family gets upset about it, then do it.

Only you know the answers to those questions.

I agree with saluki9 and his/her comments.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
gone traveling

Drove one back in 86 thru 88 been there done that. Old car. Time to move on. Now a 69 Vette well then we can talk.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBear View Post
Drove one back in 86 thru 88 been there done that. Old car. Time to move on. Now a 69 Vette well then we can talk.
funny you mention it. i have a 69 vette in storage for when i get some real $$ together and can fix it the way i likeit. bought it running, for the body tho, sold the 350, and its patiently waiting a bbc implant. thats my midlife crisis project tho
Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #18

well.....i passed.

the car was everything i wanted...and more. rust FREE, shiny new paint, solid structure (NO rust), tight suspension, smooth motor and tranny, only 80k miles, new tires, doors hood and trunk all open and close with ease, interior in excelllent condition, etc

BUT, not only did the guy advertise a price that was about 750 lower than what he really wanted for the car, but i just didnt feel right shelling out the cash. why? i dont know. i have many times that amount of $$ sitting in the bank earning me 5.4%. But between with wifes attitude before i even looked at it, and the lack of work in my foreseeable future (air duct cleaning is SLOW), I decided against it

Maybe soon....IF I find THE deal of a lifetime....this one woulda been close if the guy didnt try to run game on me!

thanks for all the different views!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
well.....i passed.

the car was everything i wanted...and more. rust FREE, shiny new paint, solid structure (NO rust), tight suspension, smooth motor and tranny, only 80k miles, new tires, doors hood and trunk all open and close with ease, interior in excelllent condition, etc

BUT, not only did the guy advertise a price that was about 750 lower than what he really wanted for the car, but i just didnt feel right shelling out the cash. why? i dont know. i have many times that amount of $$ sitting in the bank earning me 5.4%. But between with wifes attitude before i even looked at it, and the lack of work in my foreseeable future (air duct cleaning is SLOW), I decided against it

Maybe soon....IF I find THE deal of a lifetime....this one woulda been close if the guy didnt try to run game on me!

thanks for all the different views!
Good for you!! No sense in buying something that doesn't seem like a good deal, especially if/since you had some misgivings in the first place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I found a sweeet 1986 Monte Carlo SS with 79k original miles, shiny original paint, loaded etc.....for only $3500 bucks. I figure I can drive it around in the nice weather as a daily driver...for a few years....then when it's 25 years old and doesnt need emission testing - out comes the motor for a big block!!! A new, black on black paint job with some shiny wheels and it will be #2 of my 3 most desired cars. I already have my 79 camaro. All I need to round out the group is a 70-ish Cutlass 442

Whaddaya think??
Go for it. Think about it ... laying on your deathbed thinking .. yeah I save 3500 bucks by not buying that 'sweeet 1986 MC ... ' shhhhheeeettt
3500? that's less than what the govmnt is going take from you this year, I bet.
Some things in life need to be done. f*** the cost (whoops, knew I shouldn't have had that 3rd glass of wine).
I hope I see you tooling around in it some day.