Targeted Advertising
Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Targeted Advertising

Yesterday I posted the subject
"Drought"
As I signed off ER this AM, up popped this ad:
Water Storage Kit

Advertising is becoming so targeted that neither ad blockers or even using the "Host Manager", blocking is putting a crimp in the Emails I receive and the ads that show up on every webpage, or the pop-ups that come unwanted on the first page of every commercial website.

Three weeks ago, I wrote to my congressman on a matter far removed from the internet, and since them have received an average of 20 emails/day from almost every government employee in the Democratic party both Illinois and Federal government... each one pleading for campaign money.

Every time I go to Amazon search, it dooms me to seeing the products on the side of the news media that I frequent... even when, and especially when I've already bought the item.

So, one of the questions is... how did a post I made on ER, trigger an ad for water storage? What part of Google or any other advertising go-between is digging in to what I may write on a forum? How is it done?

Does the fact that I go to (not search for ) a web page automatically tie me in to receiving emails from that source?... or... do the emails come because I've had to sign in to use the website?

So yes... I can use my Email to block the sites... but I don't really want to do that, as I do choose to go to some of the links.

This is just a blow off steam rant... Actually I gave in some time ago, but, like not watching the TV shows I've paid for because of receiving one minute of commercials for every two minutes of content... and now spending much more time on my Roku than on commercial based TV... NOW... I'm looking to ban the constant onslaught online... so far with limited success. The best solutions that I've found are Hosts Manager and Readability...
and using the mute button on my keyboard.

Hmmm... off I go the the "Early Retiirees Unite"... to subvert this mind control plot!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use Gmail and it has a great spam filter. This is one way to minimize spam advertising. I use only Firefox for a browser and use Adblock Plus, which seems to keep banner ads from appearing. My internet life is not too bad with this approach.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Does the fact that I go to (not search for ) a web page automatically tie me in to receiving emails from that source?... or... do the emails come because I've had to sign in to use the website?
Essentially yes, any site may have embedded trackers paid for by third parties that collect info on you and your habits.

Here's CBS piece on the subject The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information - CBS News

Here is link for the tool mentioned that will show what on a webite is watching you and their FAQ

https://disconnect.me/

https://disconnect.me/help#disconnec...-and-macos_faq

But they are probably tracking you a well

There is no privacy on the internet.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Essentially yes, any site may have embedded trackers paid for by third parties that collect info on you and your habits.

Here's CBS piece on the subject The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information - CBS News

Here is link for the tool mentioned that will show what on a webite is watching you and their FAQ

Thanks for the link to Disconnect.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

Thank you for posting that.

OMG...!!!!! Just finished reading the CBS news interview. I thought I was a little bit knowledgeable about some of the info that companies collected, but the article just blew my mind!

I think it should be mandatory reading for everyone who uses the internet. Not because there's anything to be done about security, but simply to know that almost every facet of one's life is on display.

I guess the word is extrapolation, but it's even more than that. Imagine that... for a price, an interested party could not only know your email address, but your home address, members of your family, your birthday, what kind of medications you used, any illness or health condition, your work record, banking and investment info, and hundreds of other details... including sexual orientation and mental health.

So the horse is out of the barn... and not likely to come back.... or maybe a better analogy... We're all emperors... and because of that it doesn't matter any more, so we can walk around without clothes.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't't mind it if the ads truly "targeted" my tastes and interests; but they don't. Indeed, ads aimed at middle-aged and older women are often rather insulting. So I simply tune them out.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Yesterday I posted the subject
"Drought"
As I signed off ER this AM, up popped this ad:
Water Storage Kit

Advertising is becoming so targeted that neither ad blockers or even using the "Host Manager", blocking is putting a crimp in the Emails I receive and the ads that show up on every webpage, or the pop-ups that come unwanted on the first page of every commercial website.

Three weeks ago, I wrote to my congressman on a matter far removed from the internet, and since them have received an average of 20 emails/day from almost every government employee in the Democratic party both Illinois and Federal government... each one pleading for campaign money.

Every time I go to Amazon search, it dooms me to seeing the products on the side of the news media that I frequent... even when, and especially when I've already bought the item.

So, one of the questions is... how did a post I made on ER, trigger an ad for water storage? What part of Google or any other advertising go-between is digging in to what I may write on a forum? How is it done?

So yes... I can use my Email to block the sites... but I don't really want to do that, as I do choose to go to some of the links.

This is just a blow off steam rant... Actually I gave in some time ago, but, like not watching the TV shows I've paid for because of receiving one minute of commercials for every two minutes of content... and now spending much more time on my Roku than on commercial based TV... NOW... I'm looking to ban the constant onslaught online... so far with limited success. The best solutions that I've found are Hosts Manager and Readability...
and using the mute button on my keyboard.

Hmmm... off I go the the "Early Retiirees Unite"... to subvert this mind control plot!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wouldn't't mind it if the ads truly "targeted" my tastes and interests; but they don't. Indeed, ads aimed at middle-aged and older women are often rather insulting. So I simply tune them out.

Amethyst
Agree. Sometimes, the targeting is actually useful. Yes, I admit it. I've bought something because someone targeted me with a related item I was surfing about.

Other times though, it is insulting. A friend was dealing with a family member's dementia, which entered a new unpleasant phase. Google read my gmail, and the next thing you know I'm getting ads for urinary incontinence. It brought up some really bad reminders of what my friend is going through and was not helpful at all. And now that I just typed those words, I expect to see ads for those items again.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I highly recommend using the Ghostery and AdBlock/AdBlockPlus plugins in your browser (assuming you run a browser that supports them). I rarely see an ad or popup using them. On rare occasions I encounter a website that won't work properly, so I have to tell Ghostery to allow certain trackers for that particular site. A small price to pay for a much more sane and less obnoxious browsing experience.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
I highly recommend using the Ghostery and AdBlock/AdBlockPlus plugins in your browser (assuming you run a browser that supports them). I rarely see an ad or popup using them. On rare occasions I encounter a website that won't work properly, so I have to tell Ghostery to allow certain trackers for that particular site. A small price to pay for a much more sane and less obnoxious browsing experience.
+1

I use both plugins and second your recommendation.