Join Early Retirement Today

TATTOO!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

TATTOO!!!

Cambece
jacambece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TATTOO!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So that tat is yours?

I know a lawyer that has a tatoo covering her entire back.

I am jealous.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been telling everyone that as soon as I retire I'm gonna have a tattoo put on my arm and grow my hair long enough for a ponytail.* 8)* No one believes me and my mother says I'm out of the will if I do.*
Old 01-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I've been telling everyone that as soon as I retire I'm gonna have a tattoo put on my arm and grow my hair long enough for a ponytail.* 8)* No one believes me and my mother says I'm out of the will if I do.*
I have a 73 year old friend who retired several years ago. He has not cut his hair in 10 years. His pony tail goes to his waist and is snow white in color. His wife braids it for him and it is quite impressive...especially since he is only 5'5'' tall. He keeps saying he will donate it to some charity that makes wigs for cancer patients but he has not done it yet. I guess when it gets past his butt he will.

As for tattoos. I am not much on them. My wife has one but now wants to have it removed because she no longer wants it. Be careful with tattoos. They really cannot remove them completely so they will always be there. If you go that route just make suer you really really want one. Remember that the ink will fade over time so what looks great today will be washed out in a few years.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I have a 73 year old friend who retired several years ago.* He has not cut his hair in 10 years.* His pony tail goes to his waist and is snow white in color.* His wife braids it for him and it is quite impressive...especially since he is only 5'5'' tall.* He keeps saying he will donate it to some charity that makes wigs for cancer patients but he has not done it yet.* I guess when it gets past his butt he will.

As for tattoos.* I am not much on them.* My wife has one but now wants to have it removed because she no longer wants it.* Be careful with tattoos.* They really cannot remove them completely so they will always be there.* If you go that route just make suer you really really want one.* Remember that the ink will fade over time so what looks great today will be washed out in a few years.*
I really wouldn't do either. I like telling people this for the shock value. I'm your typical short haired corporate nerd.*
Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My DIL and her husband have quite the collection of tattoos. She really enjoys them for some reason. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I am also a short haired (bald actually) middle age manager in micro-mega-corp. I had long hair (well one or two anyway) once while in school but that was in the '70s too. When I retire I may grow it out...or just shave it all off. Heck, I may alternate. No hair in summer....lots of hair in winter. Now if I can just control the Bozo look when it grows out.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No one believes me and my mother says I'm out of the will if I do.
Well, that's why you strive for financial independence!

Quote:
I really wouldn't do either. I like telling people this for the shock value. I'm your typical short haired corporate nerd.*
On a more serious note, after 40 years of people telling me how long my hair can be I find it quite refreshing to be in charge of that responsibility.* It's also been interesting to see myself become invisible around the military, especially those who expect retired officers to have a certain "look".* Even off base there are many who read a book by its cover and are quite surprised to find that common sense & intellect is not inversely proportional to the length of one's ponytail.*

And aren't you just a little curious about how you'd look in a beard & ponytail?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Now if I can just control the Bozo look when it grows out.*
It goes away shortly after you start paddling out to the lineup...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sitting in the photographer's waiting room (waiting for my "instant" passport photos) I was browsing wedding albums on display. One bride was rather unique - she wore a strapless, backless dress and had amazing tats over her back and both shoulders - my first reaction was, "ICK!" but as I continued I started to appreciate that it really was fairly beautiful and artistic.

I just like to be able to change my art when I'm tired of it - I can do this if it's on the wall, not my body.

That said, I've considered getting a small yin-yang somewhere that I see it regularly to remind me that balance in life is important!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, that's why you strive for financial independence!
On a more serious note, after 40 years of people telling me how long my hair can be I find it quite refreshing to be in charge of that responsibility.* It's also been interesting to see myself become invisible around the military, especially those who expect retired officers to have a certain "look".* Even off base there are many who read a book by its cover and are quite surprised to find that common sense & intellect is not inversely proportional to the length of one's ponytail.*

And aren't you just a little curious about how you'd look in a beard & ponytail?*
It goes away shortly after you start paddling out to the lineup...

My beard would be mostly gray which would age me a few years. I still want my baby face exposed for the young babes.* *

My retirement is projected on my own financial resources however it wouldn't be prudent to ruffle mom's feathers and throw away the icing on the cake.*
Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #10

20 years ago one of my dh buddies gave him grief about how his hair was curling up in the back and he needed a haircut. That pissed him off and he said he was never cutting it again. He didn't and it's now down to almost his waist (SteveR I wondered if you know us lol). I braid it every morning and trim it so that he doesn't sit on it. I let him keep it on one condition, that he never wear it down, with his goatee and mustache he looks like general Custer.

oh and he's bald on top and hated paying full price for a hair cut, always thought he should get a discount.

As for tattos, most of our friends have them but neither of us have any desire. One friend was in a pretty bad bike accident and needed to have surgery on his arm and leg, the surgeon told him the tattos helped him sew him back together correctly. He was a heck of a surgeon because you couldn't even see where the cut was he matched the tat together so nicely.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #11

Great, outtahere.. never interested in a tattoo, but if I ever get one it will be:

"Slot A; Tab B" and so forth!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hanging out at a neighbor's house during a play date, I got into a discussion with one of the nice moms, sweet, very house-wifey, sensible haircut, etc. Then she put her foot up and I saw a tatoo on her ankle and asked her about it, and she just smiled and said something about her crazy days. Now I always thought she was pretty, but this set the hot - o - meter off pretty feirce.

Her husband chimed in he wanted to get a tatoo, and it ended up being the same celtic design I had been looking at. We laughed about the coincidence, but I have to admit that killed that particular design for me. I mean, what next, he and I go watch brokeback mountain together?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180px-HerveVillechaize.jpg (8.8 KB, 133 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 180px-HerveVillechaize.jpg_thumb (34.1 KB, 0 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

De plane, bozz...

No tattoos or plans to get one, but may revert back to a ponytail, someday.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #15

Check out this article on removing tattoos. The quote that sticks in my mind is "'the worst sunburn you have ever had in your life times 100."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TattooRemoval.jpg (16.8 KB, 107 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb TattooRemoval.jpg_thumb (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #16

Tatts. I could tell you stories... I've been in the laser tattoo removal biz for 12 years. ER'd 1/05 . Tattoos been berry berry good to me.

Statistically 70% of those tattooed at some point want it removed. Some, the next day, others years down the road. Females generally get a small colorful cutsy tatt somewhere out of sight. Males get huge wandering designs that go on and on and on. Removal takes 1 - 2 years and they seldom disappear. A smudge is often left behind.

Biggest dummies get tatts on the face. Sad cases are good brainy students who want to go into the military and aren't accepted because of strict regulations against any tatt showing outside a calss A uniform (neck or wrists and hands). Saddest of all are victims (usually female) that have been tattooed against their will. Strangset of all are those who spend a few years and thousand$ removing the damn thing then go out and get another in the same spot, then show up in a month or two wanting it off

Talk about business luck and timing...when everybody wants them (see above) be the guy who takes them off!

Free advice...If you must get marked (shrinks call it differentiation through self-mutiliation) avoid multi-colors. They are really hard to treat. Get regular black ink and keep it small.

Moral: Life is everchanging. Something permanent may be a touchstone to some but a for most...well that Guns 'N Roses tattoo isn't going to make it forever.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't imagine anyone being tattoed against their will. Seems like criminal intent and complicity by very renegade tattoo parlors.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Prison?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Can't imagine anyone being tattoed against their will.* Seems like criminal intent and complicity by very renegade tattoo parlors.
Sex slaves. Happens even here in NW. Last one to get into the newspaper was an Asian gang that had Chinese nationals that they had somehow smuggled into USA.

They got busted because someone in the neighborhood got tired of the comings and goings at all hours and called the police.

Ha

Old 01-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still takes a complicit tattoo parlor to participate in the act regardless of who or where.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote