Tax prep sw selling personal data

How about if we all simmer down a little? Thanks.

The issue of sharing data on desktop versions is not an issue - especially if you pay attention during the installation of the software. There is a question in H&R Block, and I assume in TaxAct and TurboTax. It asks for permission to share data with other business partners, and the question is pre-filled to Yes.

Answer NO to make sure that no data mining happens after you submit your final return for their audit and acceptability. This is the critical point where they have access to your data - if you give permission. It is checking for errors in your return.

I hope that's clear.

Last edited:
The issue of sharing data on desktop versions is not an issue - especially if you pay attention during the installation of the software. There is a question in H&R Block, and I assume in TaxAct and TurboTax. It asks for permission to share data with other business partners, and the question is pre-filled to Yes.

Answer NO to make sure there is no data mining happens after you submit your final return for their audit and acceptability. This is the critical point where they have access to your data - if you give permission. It is checking for errors in your return.

I hope that's clear.

+1

As I recall the very first thing that comes up when the H&R Block installation is started, and it *looks* like you must agree to continue the installation. But you do not have to, and after you decline the install continues as usual.

Audrey or someone warned us of this in years past. Be careful. "Just say no."

I don’t think it was me. We’ve only used TurboTax. We won’t even register the software ha ha.

I don’t think it was me. We’ve only used TurboTax. We won’t even register the software ha ha.

OK, sorry. You always have good tax advice.

Someone out there mentioned this install step a few years ago and I found it helpful. Hope people are paying attention this year again.

You might want to skip the online tax software

This was news to me. Tax Act has shared information including AGI with Facebook and other information with Meta. Tax Slayer and HRB online were also involved in sharing. Intuit shared non financial information. The companies stopped the most egregious practices after being caught. It looks like downloadable software or pencil and paper would be safer.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/22/23471842/facebook-hr-block-taxact-taxslayer-info-sharing

I was suspicious of all the financial info out n the cloud several years ago when I first learned of online software, but then I realized if I file online, they have it anyway. I still use downloaded or CD software so maybe I’m not that sharp after all.

I assume everyone knows everything about me and I take the appropriate measures to make sure that the known data isn’t used against me.

We have been using online software (Sanctioned by the IRS) for a few years now without issue. There will always be some who violate trust, that is the way now, not only with Tax software.

I probably shouldn't be so easily surprised but I thought the actual tax and income information would be kept private.

Thanks for the info. I am not a member of Facebook, but DH is. None of this makes me regret that I use a CPA to prepare and file my taxes.

Thanks for the info. I am not a member of Facebook, but DH is. None of this makes me regret that I use a CPA to prepare and file my taxes.

Being a member of FB has nothing to do with the leakage of info.
It's from a software piece, that FB provided to some set of software tools, that developers use to make it easier and quicker to add some functionality. This software is probably in many websites and nobody knows.

Hopefully your CPA doesn't use web based software, or it could be happening to you too :eek:

I would never consider an on line tax preparation. Does not matter if I am doing or the accountant is doing it.

Far too much confidential information to be left under the IT supervision of others.

Being a member of FB has nothing to do with the leakage of info.
It's from a software piece, that FB provided to some set of software tools, that developers use to make it easier and quicker to add some functionality. This software is probably in many websites and nobody knows.

Hopefully your CPA doesn't use web based software, or it could be happening to you too :eek:

Hopefully not. I don't see him cheaping out on his software. (We're not his day job. He likes his private clients, but doesn't need them.) I can ask him when I see him. Not going to call him now as that would be a bell I couldn't un-ring in any event.

Just a note - all 3 threads on this topic have been merged into the original thread.

I was suspicious of all the financial info out n the cloud several years ago when I first learned of online software, but then I realized if I file online, they have it anyway. I still use downloaded or CD software so maybe I’m not that sharp after all.
The returns filed electronically go via some strict IRS channels, not willy nilly.

The returns filed electronically go via some strict IRS channels, not willy nilly.

There are two kinds of secure electronic data systems. Those that have been hacked and those that will be. Of course, YMMV.

Username

Can you imagine if there was a book with your name, phone number and address in it with advertising and it was FREE to anyone?

Welcome to the phonebook.

I knew a guy in the early 70s who was listed in the phonebook as Ziggy Stardust. I think it was his way of having some anonymity as he was associated with cannabis dealers or was one. I don't know if this would work today with cell phones unless it was a throw away.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom