Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Software?
Old 01-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Software?

I have gone to a physical H&R Block location and had my taxes done by a very capable professional for the last decade. I just found out she has retired. She was the only person I trusted to do it after trying several people before her. Now that she is gone I am planning to go with software I can do on my computer. I will have multiple 1099's, multiple W-2s, carry over capital losses and other things that make my taxes more than basic but not terribly bad. What is best to use and how do I get it on my computer?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You will get a lot of different answers.... the problem is that they all might be right...

You say you want the 'best', not the best value... turbotax seems to be one of the highest rated out there... and I believe it has better questions etc. on getting your info into it...

But, H&R Block also has great software that is not as expensive... I have used both and they did a good job...

However, all software has some bugs and if those bugs appear where you need some clarity and you are not knowledgeable about taxes they can steer you wrong... I have had some problem with the 2 mentioned software packages at times but I know (or learn) how to get around them....

Good luck
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You could use one of the online apps such as H&R Block or TurboTax, or you could purchase their desktop software either from their websites or from a place like Amazon.

It sounds like you might also be a great candidate for having your taxes done for free at an AARP Tax-Aide site. You can find the nearest one here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aar...locations.html These records may not be fully updated until the sites open in the first week of February though.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #4

If I recall, you do no make a high income. I would look at one of the free options that you’d probably qualify for. I’ve used the free versions for a couple friends of mine and I found them on my State’s website. That way I knew they could handle the State taxes if indeed your State has taxes.

If you want it on your computer, I’d get the cheapest version you can get and I think that’s H&R Block but there may be others.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You could use one of the online apps such as H&R Block or TurboTax, or you could purchase their desktop software either from their websites or from a place like Amazon.

It sounds like you might also be a great candidate for having your taxes done for free at an AARP Tax-Aide site. You can find the nearest one here: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aar...locations.html These records may not be fully updated until the sites open in the first week of February though.
Although I am low income I am not old enough for AARP. If I get software for my computer does the program automatically file the taxes for both federal and state? I want something that is very user friendly even if it costs a little extra. I doubt it will cost as much as going to an actual H&R Block office.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If I recall, you do no make a high income. I would look at one of the free options that you’d probably qualify for. I’ve used the free versions for a couple friends of mine and I found them on my State’s website. That way I knew they could handle the State taxes if indeed your State has taxes.

If you want it on your computer, I’d get the cheapest version you can get and I think that’s H&R Block but there may be others.
I looked into free tax prep a few years ago and it didn't seem like I qualified because they were only for easy taxes and I have self employment and other less-than-basic stuff.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Although I am low income I am not old enough for AARP. If I get software for my computer does the program automatically file the taxes for both federal and state? I want something that is very user friendly even if it costs a little extra. I doubt it will cost as much as going to an actual H&R Block office.
We’ve used turbo tax for about 18 years after using a tax preparer for a number of years then one year of a local H&R Block. It’s easy to use. You can file federal and state with them, but they charge you for filing state. Go to turbo tax and H&R Block and check both out. If you go that route buy whatever you choose through someplace else like Amazon.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
I looked into free tax prep a few years ago and it didn't seem like I qualified because they were only for easy taxes and I have self employment and other less-than-basic stuff.
Then I’d probably get HRB. Yes, I’m not sure how they all work, but I know HRB and Turbo Tax will file State. Only problem with State is that they charge you extra to electronically file. I print my State and mail it in for the cost of postage.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
We’ve used turbo tax for about 18 years after using a tax preparer for a number of years then one year of a local H&R Block. It’s easy to use. You can file federal and state with them, but they charge you for filing state. Go to turbo tax and H&R Block and check both out. If you go that route buy whatever you choose through someplace else like Amazon.

I think you can buy a Fed and State program for a bit more... not sure if they charge extra for electronic filing as I do not have to file here...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #10

I use TurboTax just because I'm used to it. The Deluxe version has both federal and state. They charge extra ($20 last year) to file state electronically but if you print and file that way it's included in the price. Federal electronic filing is also free, or more accurately included in the price. The last couple of times I paid the extra for state electronic filing just because of all the covid-related delays caused by handling paper returns.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I use TurboTax just because I'm used to it. The Deluxe version has both federal and state. They charge extra ($20 last year) to file state electronically but if you print and file that way it's included in the price. Federal electronic filing is also free, or more accurately included in the price. The last couple of times I paid the extra for state electronic filing just because of all the covid-related delays caused by handling paper returns.
I don't think those delays have ended. I leaning towards getting the H&R Block software. I would need the most expensive one due to self employment but still cheaper than in-person. If I get a refund from State then I would pay to have it done electronically, if I have to pay in then print and mail it.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have been fine with H&R Block for the past six years. They have handle capital loss carryovers, DW's 1099 contractor income, home office deduction, tuition credits, mixed contributions to tIRAs, etc. We do not own real estate beyond our home, so do not know how it would fair with that. But it has worked for us.

We used it when it was named "Tax Cut" for tax years 2000-2008, then went to TaxAct in 2009 when that was much cheaper. When TaxAct lost their minds and raised their prices incredibly high, we went back to H&R Block starting in tax year 2016.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
You don't have to be old to get free tax prep from AARP, but if you'd rather do it yourself, that's great that you're willing to learn. I've used Turbotax for as long as they've been around 20 + years and they have an interview process that's really good and easy to understand. I always buy the Federal plus State for about $40 on sale.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
There is no age requirement to get free tax prep from AARP Tax-Aide! I do tons of returns for young singles and families.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is no age requirement to get free tax prep from AARP Tax-Aide! I do tons of returns for young singles and families.
+1

"AARP Foundation Tax-Aide [program] provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone, free of charge..."

You should be able to find a location in your area and maybe even make an appointment online: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/
Old 01-19-2023, 03:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I don't think those delays have ended. I leaning towards getting the H&R Block software. I would need the most expensive one due to self employment but still cheaper than in-person. If I get a refund from State then I would pay to have it done electronically, if I have to pay in then print and mail it.
I use H&R block software deluxe version with State , since it's your first time you maybe want to go with the premium version. That's what I did the first time as it had (back then) a little more interview hand holding.

Now I use the deluxe and I have: self employment (income, expenses), rentals (income, expenses, depreciation), dividends, capital gains/loss, ira distributions, roth conversions, pension income, interest, etc so fairly complex but no k-1s

I also do older relatives tax returns which are: SS and pensions, interest, capital gains/loss.

The deluxe and premium both have the same needed forms.
Having your old tax return will be great to follow along
If you have a pdf of your old return, you might be able to import the pdf file, but if not then it will be extra typing (name, address, etc) the first year. After that it imports from the previous return.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

"AARP Foundation Tax-Aide [program] provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone, free of charge..."

You should be able to find a location in your area and maybe even make an appointment online: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/
They do Schedule C? All the other free services I see do not offer Schedule C. I checked the website and didn't see anything about them only doing certain returns but wanted to verify.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
They do Schedule C? All the other free services I see do not offer Schedule C. I checked the website and didn't see anything about them only doing certain returns but wanted to verify.
Yes, we do Schedule C as long as your business does not show a loss. We can't do Sched C for professional gamblers, bartering, crypto currency, employees other than a spouse, home office deduction, or a few other rare cases. Nothing else you mentioned in this thread seems obviously out of scope for us. We do most types of 1099s (NEC, MISC, R, G, B, INT, DIV, ...), W-2s, carry-over capital losses, etc.

It is possible for individual sites or states to establish local limits that are stricter than the national ones though, so if you choose this option you should go early in the season just in case it turns out that the AARP sites in your area are unable to do your return for some reason.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, we do Schedule C as long as your business does not show a loss. We can't do Sched C for professional gamblers, bartering, crypto currency, employees other than a spouse, home office deduction, or a few other rare cases. Nothing else you mentioned in this thread seems obviously out of scope for us. We do most types of 1099s (NEC, MISC, R, G, B, INT, DIV, ...), W-2s, carry-over capital losses, etc.

It is possible for individual sites or states to establish local limits that are stricter than the national ones though, so if you choose this option you should go early in the season just in case it turns out that the AARP sites in your area are unable to do your return for some reason.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. They have moved into my first choice. After I get all my documents I will reach out to them. Looks like there are 2 sites within 3 miles of my home.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
I have gone to a physical H&R Block location and had my taxes done by a very capable professional for the last decade. I just found out she has retired. She was the only person I trusted to do it after trying several people before her. Now that she is gone I am planning to go with software I can do on my computer. I will have multiple 1099's, multiple W-2s, carry over capital losses and other things that make my taxes more than basic but not terribly bad. What is best to use and how do I get it on my computer?
we've used TurboTax for probably close to 30-yrs. available in several versions at office supply stores, major retailers and online. based on your description you likely want the "Deluxe" version. online comes in either a physical disc that is shipped/mailed or as a download. both types have a registration license. TT will include a free federal e-file. and if your state imposes a state income tax TT has a federl+state version.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote