Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower
Normally, I'm a relatively clam mother.
but in this case you were apparently shell-shocked.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I kept telling him to follow my method: when in doubt, press the clutch in. Also 10 mph corresponds to first gear, 20 miles--second gear, etc.
With my last stick shift in 1982 (1980 Plymouth Horizon with the 2.2 with the big 2 BBL carb that would have run a small V8) 1st = 20MPH 2nd = 45MPH Third = 90 MPH. That death trap would fly.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
but in this case you were apparently shell-shocked.

Under just tremendous stress with the business trying to get all out on time and everyone to perform as they should. I just lost my cool. I am ashamed of it until today. Thank heaven I've performed much better with the kid on later tasks, so he might just forgive me.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Under just tremendous stress with the business trying to get all out on time and everyone to perform as they should. I just lost my cool. I am ashamed of it until today. Thank heaven I've performed much better with the kid on later tasks, so he might just forgive me.
Some things are better left untried, and teaching your kids/spouse to drive is likely one of those. That is what driving schools are for.

Ha
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

It't tough - taught 3 of the 4 kids to drive shift stick - by the 4th kid, I no longer saw my way clear to teaching another one and sent her to a driving school.
There is good advice in this thread - especially the bit about only operating the clutch initially. It's a difficult multitasking procedure with information overload and having the feet doing things that are diametrically opposite from one another, is a difficult thing to learn - in the end it's all about the integration of sensation and hearing - just my 2c worth.

I have never played the piano but I would imagine that having the left and right hands coordinated but still doing separate things must be really difficult.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
Some things are better left untried, and teaching your kids/spouse to drive is likely one of those. That is what driving schools are for.
Ha
Sage advice. My father drove a bus for a living, and was the best driver I ever knew. No tickets and no accidents in his whole life. Yet he quailed at the thought of teaching me to drive. Instead, he sent me to the driving school run by the AAA. It was a good school, and I was glad for the opportunity.

But the best instruction I ever got was from the phone company when I had a summer job with them in college. Before you could drive one of their vans, you had to take a two day course in defensive driving. It was great. They taught the "Smith system" which was mainly about being extremely observant. What I learned there has stayed with me the rest of my life, and likely saved my bacon a number of times.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #47

My father taught me to drive a manual in a new Porsche roadster (long before Porsche became popular). I tried to be light on the throttle so as not to abuse it and get my dad pi$$ed at me. Instead, he started shouting at me "Don't lug that d@mm engine. Get those revs up." Fast forward many decades, I was taking a newly acquired Miata for spirited run on a twisty road and was having problems with the engine shooting crows (misfiring). After this occurred several times, I realized I was bouncing off the rev limiter that was set for 7,400 RPM. My dad would have been proud, I was keeping the revs up and not lugging the engine.

Presently I have 5 vehicles with manual transmissions, including a new diesel pick up.
Recently ordered a new Honda Accord for DW because I could not find a local dealer that had one with a manual. Tried a new Mustang GT with the 412 HP V8. Very nice power delivery - brought a big smile on my face. Seriously thinking of ordering one with a 6 speed manual with Brembo brakes. DW says I have to get rid of one of my other vehicles. Which one? What a dilemma, I like them all.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #48
Administrator

My current Honda Civic hybrid is the first (and likely last) automatic that I have ever owned. If it had come in a manual transmission, I would have bought that instead. I do not feel that I am really driving it; just steering.

However, today I awoke my Z3 roadster from its winter slumber, so I can revisit the joy of actually driving. The young wife is complaining that it's still too cold to go top down, but I told her to just wear more clothes.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

We taught our boys to drive on automatics- then later we worked on the manual transmission art. Thought it better to introduce this after they were already experienced drivers.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
In 1976, after a couple of beers, my boyfriend took me out on a gravel road and....

I will not comment... I want to, but I wont!

Other than to say it was a popular destination for many at that age!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #51

I learned to drive in a manual trans car. In ND at the time one could get a license at the age of 14. I had grown up watching my parents drive a manual and had no problems learning to drive one. As soon as I had a license my parents pretty much stopped driving if I was in the car. I had my license for about two months when I found myself driving through Winnipeg; I had assumed when we got close to the city my dad would take over. They just said "keep going".