Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Of course, it's a lot easier to carry a cell phone along than a whole shortwave radio station!
Problem solved

Morse-It iPhone App Makes Samuel Morse Proud On His Birthday - Morse-it - Gizmodo

Near the end, they actually show someone tapping the screen to send code. It wasn't clear to me whether this just grabs it and sends it as a text, or if someone can tune in to hear the dash-dots directly.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

My slightly younger (but apparently hipper) SIL was talking to me one day, and she asked me if I got her text from the other day regarding an upcoming gathering or something. Not having a cell phone I ever use, I asked "What number did you send it to". She said she didn't know, just the number she has saved in her phone for me. She was texting to my land line. It doesn't receive texts. When I told her it was my landline number she said "You have a landline?!?!" like it was a shock. It's actually VOIP, but still. Makes me feel like an old Luddite.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

although i was VERY anti text year back, and fought it tooth and nail, i find myself sending and receiving a lot. my reealtor texts me leads and codes to check out rehabs. my wife txts me when im at work as to not bug me. i text my employees with updates for start times and locations. i get texts from our online submission forms on our website. etc.

i actually use of 1000/mo...and about 300 of those are business related.

oh yeah, me an the wife also argue by text. it's pretty fun,
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
She was texting to my land line. It doesn't receive texts.
Well, I'll be darned. I didn't know the system worked that way. You would think that a cell network would be smart enough to know not to try to send texts to land lines, and maybe even helpful enough to bounce an error message to the sender.

Our kid and I are going to have to experiment with her iPhone and our land line. I'll even pay for the texts!

I wonder how many of my cell-phone-owning friends have been texting me over the years and growing ever more annoyed with my non-responsiveness.* But then again, if they expressed their annoyance through a text message, how would I know?

Hey, this is going to make our Christmas card list a lot easier!

*[The same people who have no idea what my phone number is because it's stored in their phone under "Nords". These would be the same people who leave me voicemails saying "So call me, bye!" and don't leave their phone number because they assume I have caller ID.]

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, I'll be darned. I didn't know the system worked that way. You would think that a cell network would be smart enough to know not to try to send texts to land lines, and maybe even helpful enough to bounce an error message to the sender.
My cell service (Verizon) tells me if I try to text to a landline and offers the option to leave a voice mail for that person- never tried it to see what happens if they don't have voice mail. Seems like a useful feature though.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #46

My son txt to our landline all the time, when the land line rings the txt comes in as a computer generated voice message stating who it's comming from. I thought this was common practice since he's been doing it for over a year. We don't normally have our cell phone turned on.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I assume my SIL got an error message bounced back to her, but probably didn't see it or something. One would hope that at least an error message would bounce back.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #48

For iphone users try the free app called Dragon Dictation. It translates your voice into a text message to be sent. Avoids that pesky typing thing. I'm certain I could be beat morse coders with that.

BTW, if I completely understood the conversation held by FinanceDude in his earlier post does that mean my kids have totally corrupted me?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I assume my SIL got an error message bounced back to her, but probably didn't see it or something. One would hope that at least an error message would bounce back.
Our kid tried texting our landline with her iPhone and it happily sent the message off, so I can see how someone could get fooled. Then about two minutes later it bounced back with an AT&T error message, which could easily be overlooked.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our kid tried texting our landline with her iPhone and it happily sent the message off, so I can see how someone could get fooled. Then about two minutes later it bounced back with an AT&T error message, which could easily be overlooked.
Yes, I imagine that is what happened. She typed in the msg, hit "send", it said "message sent", then she moved on to other things. 2 mins later, she got some mumbo jumbo text that she couldn't decipher and deleted it.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #51

I am 38 and text probably about 20 times a month. I find it convenient when arranging logistics for meeting somewhere, or sending a quick message to let the other person know I'm running a few minutes late.

What is confusing for people my age, is that I have friends/family who are older and don't text, rarely email, and still rely on phone calls & voice mail, which I hate but I understand that is how they communicate, even though sometimes I wish I could call them back and say couldn't you just text me that instead? Then I have friends, nieces, nephews who are younger and I can barely understand some of the code in their texts and emails. To them I want to say, couldn't you text me that in English instead?

Guess there is a big generational divide in how we communicate...
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #52

i was SO anti text for quite some time...but then it grew on me. now, i use it for business (lots of part time emplyees...some HS and college kids who ALL text), personal, etc....it's just more convenient than talking sometimes and most importantly, i can SAVE my sent texts which automatically show a 'message read' receipt for important business stuff...i send them to guys on jobs with last minute info, employees hour changes, etc. PLUS, i get a text every time someone submits a quote request on one of our sites OR places an order within 24 hrs of expected delivery

I find it very convenient now and might need to switch to unlimited...im currently going over my 400 txt limit once every 3 or 4 months (usually when business is booming!)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Recently my older son got a new phone that actually has a keyboard. Before that he was texting (sending and receiving) about 2000 a month. I just looked at the bill for last month. It was 192 pages long! And, he had over 8000 texts (good thing we have unlimited).... My daughter had over 2000 texts and my youngest son who is actually the one who uses the most data and is more computer oriented had about 200. Go figure. (DH and I had about 20 each).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I guess that at age 62, I am older than Methuselah to today's kids, but... if I have a choice between

(1) texting, and having to pay EXTRA $$$ to send and receive text messages, or
(2) just calling them (or e-mailing them) and not having to pay extra

then which do you think I would choose?

I think texting is designed for people at work or at school, who do not want to get heard making personal phone calls. I am retired and past that now.

Besides, nobody I would care to get a call from knows how to text in the first place. My cell phone is not even text-enabled. I have a $30 Verizon plan and it would cost more than that if I did a lot of texting.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #55
Administrator

Could it be that boomers don’t like texting just because it involves younger people, words and acronyms not easily deciphered and dexterity that favors the young?

Texting allows for multiple concurrent communication streams and can be done where phone calls can not. It allows users to communicate using the cell without bothering those around them. It interacts with other communication tools, such as email and im. It allows the initiator to engage in more spontaneous messaging.

More people texting is preferable to more cell public phone calls. Exception – driving.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #56

Last year DW and I started getting text messages in the way of ads. I figured we were paying for them so I had cell provider disable this feature. Not long ago our granddaughter told DW, "Grandma, I texted you but it won't let me" or something to that effect. She didn't understand us not wanting to text. Recently, I noticed kids in stores with their moms, walking around aimlessly, heads down in their Blackberry's or cell phones just texting away. I'm thinking, how stupid is that? Probable no more stupid than some of the things I did as a kid. Guess I'll have to get with it! Think they call it "GEEZERHOOD".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #57

You guys make me feel so young.

I'm in my mid 30's and I probably send 50+ texts a day. Lots of friends and family members know I don't like personal phone calls at work. My wife is also not able to have a phone conversation that is less than 10 minutes, so texts are perfect.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #58

I started texting (SMSing here in Europe) in 2000 because it was much cheaper to text in Europe than make a phone call. I went back to the states in 2005 and texting was still in its infancy - obviously it has taken off.

I have moved back to Europe and still text, but rarely - I work at home and have a 'landline' so use that more than my cell phone - I have two - one for Germany (a SIM card pay as you go) and one for the US (another pay as you go - no SIM card). They are used for emergencies only - and for texting my husband to make him aware of my plane landing and that I'm OK (same with him) - we exchange the US phone between us as many times we aren't traveling together.

My 'landline' here at home has the ability to receive SMS messages (I haven't figured out how to send out a message). So, the capability is there, just not utilized in the US by certain carriers.

We rely now on email and regular phone calls for communication - I don't do Facebook (even though I've been invited many times) - my husband does as he has children. It's interesting, they don't answer their email - sometimes they don't anser their phones, they do text and they do look at Facebook.

Last comment -I consider the epitome of rudeness to be texting, checking email or web-surfing when you are in a face-to-face meeting. As for people who say they work better when multi-tasking, I've found that that is not the norm - and that when one focuses on the meeting or agenda, the task is finished much more quickly. Also, if you've gone to the trouble to set up the meeting and agree upon the time, then you should allocate that time as you've agreed - otherwise, don't agree on the meeting. Also, I've found that meetings take up the time alloted to them, so the shorter you make them, the more focused they become. It also minimezes the time wasting aspect.

Last, last item - Isaac Asimov wrote a book about the virtualization of society - it was one of the Daneel Olivaw (sp?) detective books with a robot detective sidekick. I find many of the things Asimov posited int hat book are slowly coming true - it's sad as we are social creatures.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I text with my kids during the day, and with my squeeze, also because they cannot take time to talk during the work day. I do want to talk also when I can, because IMO texting misses the all impoirtant non verbal voice and tone cues from a spoken conversation.

I text with my sister who has some kind of social avoidance issues and she will communicate via text but rarely will she answer her phone or return voice calls. She also learned from interfacing with her kids via text. Some time she will feel better and call, but in the meantime I avoid frustration by texting if something needs to be said.

I also have a few people with whom I have to communicate but I don't want them to get a chance to go passo-aggro on me, so texting is the preferred medium.

My brother feels that texting is a plot to destroy the English language, and hence an immoral activity.

Ha
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
You guys make me feel so young.

I'm in my mid 30's and I probably send 50+ texts a day. Lots of friends and family members know I don't like personal phone calls at work. My wife is also not able to have a phone conversation that is less than 10 minutes, so texts are perfect.
Me, too. I'm almost 40 and I prefer texting to all other forms of contact. I love my blackberry with the keyboard.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote