Telescopes

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I'm looking at getting a telescope, somewhat portable, that I can use for bird and moon watching. Something capable of attaching a dslr (and possibly iPhone) to.

So far my research has narrowed down to a Celestron C5. Given the current state of affairs, Celestron C5's are not available anywhere. Some places say delivery mid January, some same February, some only say backordered or not available.

Anyone have a telescope under $1k that they are happy with?

I have a Celestron C8 and a Skywatcher 105mm APO refractor. Both were well under $1000 for the optical tube assembly (when I bought them) but prices have gone up quite a bit. I have two Meade LXD-75 mounts for my scopes. Astronomical tubes need a flip mirror if you want to use them for terrestrial viewing. You also need mount adapter for your camera to the OTA tube and a focal reducer if you want to use your camera. Both of these tubes are great for astronomy and astrophotography. I have a flip mirror but these scopes are not particularly useful for terrestrial viewing primarily because of the mount. You really need a pan/tilt mount for terrestrial vs and EQ mount for astronomy and astrophotography. Sometimes Astromart has some deals on scopes.

Look for local astronomy clubs in your area and go to a meeting or two. Talk equipment with the members ... who will love to talk about their equipment.

Attend a couple of star parties and try out the telescopes people have set up. Ask them for recommendations.

Look for local astronomy clubs in your area and go to a meeting or two. Talk equipment with the members ... who will love to talk about their equipment.

Attend a couple of star parties and try out the telescopes people have set up. Ask them for recommendations.

this ^^^^^^. good luck. a good set of binoculars might be a good way to het started.

this ^^^^^^. good luck. a good set of binoculars might be a good way to get started.
Yes, you can see a lot with a good pair of binocs. As far as a telescope, get one that is easy and convenient to use or it will collect dust. My little pocket camera takes a lot more pictures than my fancy camera.

Another thumbs up for this advice.

I was just add: But, never touch anyone's scope or other equipment without permission.

I do, but it's a C5 [with a Nexstar mount I bought on eBay to do stargazing]. It is the same Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA as the Celestron Nexstar 5SE and also the Celestron Omni XLT 127 which has the killer Alt-Az mount for viewing. I like it a lot, it's the perfect size for me to actually use it because it's not too large or complex and takes less than five minutes for me to setup and start viewing.

OTOH, it's not super powerful - but enough to see Saturn's rings and Jupiter's moons clearly, and it's easy to find your target. It can be a very large f/10 terrestrial lens too; the coated optics are very good. A C6 would be very similar (1500mm vs. 1250mm focal length), but beyond that size, you're getting into serious astronomy. I'm just a casual watcher and like to keep it that way. If I want more, I'll get a Stellina.

If you're OK with a Nexstar 5SE, click the link above, they have them in stock at Adorama.

Last edited:
Yeah I have this Orion Apex 127mm Mak and can vouch for quality. In stock too!

I’m an amateur astronomer and although I don’t do birding this seems to me to be a good choice for what OP asked (“somewhat portable, that I can use for bird and moon watching.”) Astronomical scopes need to have larger aperture than this for serious deep-sky observing, but 127mm is good for the moon. Anything bigger probably wouldn’t be easily portable for birding.

Don’t skimp on a good tripod, though; it’s half the setup and nothing is more frustrating than a shaky mount.

This is one area where I would look at the used market. Much like the treadmill that quickly turns into a clothes hanger, many telescopes barely get used. Maybe that’s changed, but I still think I’d look for something on eBay. This is another reason to look up an astronomy club. Those types may use their equipment more, but they also will be more inclined to be upgraders. I know in my case, I used my telescope for a year and was happy to see the things I could see, but then it sat for a few years so I sold it for about 30% of what I paid for it. Someone got a nice telescope and one very nice upgrade eyepiece lens for dirt cheap.

Been there, done that. I had a decent one. Used it to look at all the stuff you want to see and then….

I eventually sold it on eBay. It was fun, but once you see the rings of Saturn or look at the craters on the Moon or look at a nebula or two, it’s not as exciting and setting it up becomes more of a chore.

The National park near us does star nights. I am more inclined to attend one of those. They have better equipment and I don’t have to set it up.

On another topic, anyone want to buy a metal detector? Similar reasons as above.

Yeah I have this Orion Apex 127mm Mak and can vouch for quality. In stock too!

I’m an amateur astronomer and although I don’t do birding this seems to me to be a good choice for what OP asked (“somewhat portable, that I can use for bird and moon watching.”) Astronomical scopes need to have larger aperture than this for serious deep-sky observing, but 127mm is good for the moon. Anything bigger probably wouldn’t be easily portable for birding.

Don’t skimp on a good tripod, though; it’s half the setup and nothing is more frustrating than a shaky mount.

I'm giving the Orion a serious look. It has everything I'm looking for. I have a good sturdy camera tripod. I'm fairly certain that this telescope would be less of a load on the tripod than my DSLR and a 150-600mm lens.

The moon looks killer good with a 32 mm eyepiece. I set this up on the balcony at the Hotel in Monterey and you can count the whiskers on the otters.

Rings of Saturn, bands and 4 moons of Jupiter all easy to do.

Order up the cheap reflex sight too, makes everything easier.

I second the thought of the used market. A couple of mainland friends used to invite me over to view through their scopes. These guys were always in the market for the next step up in equipment. Had I been more interested, I could have taken their left-overs for quite a discount. YMMV

I appreciate the used market advice, but I'm a little squeamish about purchasing anything used that I know little about. So I'm going to buy new. Probably order tomorrow - who knows maybe there will be a big Black Friday sale.

Depending on when it arrives, you will then be guaranteed two weeks of cloudy weather! It's a standard joke at astronomy clubs that when someone orders a major new piece of equipment he takes the blame for the continued clouds.

Good luck! If you do get into nighttime observing you'll want to invest in a moon filter and a dewcap (basically an extra-long lens shade). This design is especially susceptible to dewing up since the lens is so exposed to the sky, and you'll be amazed at just how bright the full moon can be in a scope. Then there's more eyepieces, etc. etc.

I appreciate the used market advice, but I'm a little squeamish about purchasing anything used that I know little about. So I'm going to buy new. Probably order tomorrow - who knows maybe there will be a big Black Friday sale.

That’s a reasonable thought, but my counter to that is that even buying it new, you’re not going to know how to use it and all you’ll be provided is a manual and the internet. I can guarantee you that you’ll be able to find the manual online of any major brand telescope if the one you buy doesn’t come with one. I can also guarantee you that it will be of little help and you’ll be on an astronomy site like Sky and Telescope in no time.

https://skyandtelescope.org/

However, I absolutely understand the drive to just get it, get it new, get it now, get exactly what you want and to BTD. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for your help. Just got it and have been playing around with it.

Attachments

• 98845DA3-5845-4328-9F62-FAD90B0148C5.jpeg
    98845DA3-5845-4328-9F62-FAD90B0148C5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Cool, looks just like mine - :)

Get that $40 reflex sight, pops right in the dovetail and makes everything easier

That does look cool. Is it set up for easy terrestrial viewing? I would love to whale watch from my front lanai, but I'm over a mile from the reef beyond which the whales do their thing. My decent binoculars aren't enough.

Yes, it comes with a correct image 45 degree prism. In Monterrey I showed the wife how to use the reflex sight to point the scope and I told her to put it on the channel marker buoy at least a half mile away. Then look through the eyepiece. She did and I said you see the buoy, she replied yes and there's 2 sea lions on it too!

Just looked at the NOAA chart and more like 1500 yards, so close to a mile - :)

Last edited:
I have to get a tripod made for telescopes. My telescope and dslr are 10.6 pounds, and shake a little on my camera tripod. So I need to blow a little more dough.

What I see so far is incredible. I just need to get rid of the wiggles.

Glad you like it! I was impressed and had no problem recommending.

Back
Top Bottom