Telescoping Ladder: Brands? Prices? Cautions?

I have a Little Giant folding ladder and I love it. It's easy to store and move around, and very versatile. The one I have includes separately adjustable legs for uneven ground, and accessories that mount in the top. I probably use it more in the stepladder position than as an extension ladder. (both sides also adjust in length, and sometimes an uneven length is just the ticket.)

Sold my old extension ladder on Craigslist very promptly. They are quite popular with contractors.

The Little Giant (and imitators) are good ladders and very versatile. I owned one for years and used it. My only objection to them are their weight. Very heavy and most of the time when I use a ladder it's a quick operation so a lightweight ladder is preferable. Where I live now the telescoping type suits my needs better, but I certainly understand the appeal of a Little Giant. Home Depot sells a lot of them.

After using an extension ladder for years, its going to take some time getting used to the Xtend & Climb. It doesn't seem as stable as an extension ladder. But thats to be expected since the extension ladder at one story roof height is one piece.

It can never be as stable as an extension ladder, it's in itty-bitty sections.

Very nice video, Ronstar!!! That was really professional quality and I enjoyed watching it a lot.

We still think hiring someone to clean the gutters is the way to go, for us, because of our age. The going rate seems to be $100 each time for F's one story house.

As for my house, well, it went without gutters for its first 50 years with no problems. I moved in 2 years ago and haven't installed gutters. In some kinds of conditions, it apparently isn't necessary (according to the internet, and we all just KNOW that anything on the internet is the Perfect Truth, right? :LOL: ). I plan to keep an close eye on things, and add them if/when any problems begin to develop.

Last edited:
Very nice video, Ronstar!!! That was really professional quality and I enjoyed watching it a lot.

We still think hiring someone to clean the gutters is the way to go, for us, because of our age. The going rate seems to be $100 each time for F's one story house.

As for my house, well, it went without gutters for its first 50 years with no problems. I moved in 2 years ago and haven't installed gutters. In some kinds of conditions, it apparently isn't necessary (according to the internet, and we all just KNOW that anything on the internet is the Perfect Truth, right? :LOL: ). I plan to keep an close eye on things, and add them if/when any problems begin to develop.

Thanks - I agree that hiring someone to clean the gutters is the way to go when we age - and I'll be doing just that when I feel skittish up there. My plan is to get a new roof in a year or 2, and get the gutters with leaf screens at that time. I'm checking with a neighbor now and then to see how his screened gutters are doing.

IIRC, your house is brick on a concrete slab. If you have decent drainage around your house and haven't had any problems, I agree with your approach to keep an eye on it and let it go until a problem arises. I don't have gutters on my detached workshop, and the lack of gutters hasn't presented a problem there.

Thanks - I agree that hiring someone to clean the gutters is the way to go when we age - and I'll be doing just that when I feel skittish up there. My plan is to get a new roof in a year or 2, and get the gutters with leaf screens at that time. I'm checking with a neighbor now and then to see how his screened gutters are doing.

I have tested and been super impressed with the following low cost gutter screen.
I put it on a 12 section of gutter that normally is full of debris, about 2 inches of guck and then leaves, twigs on top.

This is at a rental house, so it gets cleaned once per year in the summer (so the fall leaves sit and rot all winter in it).

The summer after I installed the test, it was literally clean under the screen.

Now what is very important is to get the one with the fiberglass window screen glued on 1 side , as there are other ones that look similar, but are not it.

I suggest you buy a few (each is 3 ft long) and test out some gutter that is isolated from the rest and see for yourself.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...265-c-5812.htm?tid=4845718015463958646&ipos=2

I have tested and been super impressed with the following low cost gutter screen.
I put it on a 12 section of gutter that normally is full of debris, about 2 inches of guck and then leaves, twigs on top.

This is at a rental house, so it gets cleaned once per year in the summer (so the fall leaves sit and rot all winter in it).

The summer after I installed the test, it was literally clean under the screen.

Now what is very important is to get the one with the fiberglass window screen glued on 1 side , as there are other ones that look similar, but are not it.

I suggest you buy a few (each is 3 ft long) and test out some gutter that is isolated from the rest and see for yourself.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...265-c-5812.htm?tid=4845718015463958646&ipos=2

Thanks - I'll get a few and check it out. Now will be a great time to start a test.

IIRC, your house is brick on a concrete slab. If you have decent drainage around your house and haven't had any problems, I agree with your approach to keep an eye on it and let it go until a problem arises. I don't have gutters on my detached workshop, and the lack of gutters hasn't presented a problem there.
Right, brick on a concrete slab, with great drainage (and I even had that improved a bit with my landscaping/drainage project last year). So far, so good. :D

On those screens, it does matter where you live...

We have pine trees... and so does some of my sisters... the one that has that screen still has to clean them as the pine needles will go into the holes... I looked up at her roof line once and saw a much sticking out of the grate...

I am thinking about putting in the vane system... looked and found one called rain handlers, but there are others (I think)... saw them on some show and thought they looked good... while selling girl scout cookies with my DD I saw a house that had them... the guy said they worked great... when you had a lot of rain he said you could see the water being shot out into the yard...

hdr_pic_1.jpg

Yep - RainHandlers. I have these on the front of my house and they work very well. On the back of my house I need to direct water farther away from the foundation so I have gutters with the downspout going into a French drain. There I have the aluminum micromesh screens and they work very well.

I found out the hard work way what can happen if the extension ladders are put up steep. The farther you extend them, the they are safer.

10 years ago, my 28 ft.extension ladder went over sideways with me at 13 feet. I landed on a hillside and broke both legs. That Fall day, the emergency room had ladder victims lined up for surgeries. Many also had back injuries so I count myself lucky.

Our leaves have just fallen, and I hope gutter cleaners will not set up their ladders steeply.

I found out the hard work way what can happen if the extension ladders are put up steep. The farther you extend them, the they are safer.

10 years ago, my 28 ft.extension ladder went over sideways with me at 13 feet. I landed on a hillside and broke both legs. That Fall day, the emergency room had ladder victims lined up for surgeries. Many also had back injuries so I count myself lucky.

Our leaves have just fallen, and I hope gutter cleaners will not set up their ladders steeply.

Yikes. I saw a good tip from a professional painter on you tube to tie a bungee cord around the top rung and the gutter tie to secure the ladder. Of course you have to make it all the way to the top to do this!

I once heard that the proper ladder angle is to have the base about one fourth the distance away from where it contacts at the top...so that's about a 65 - 70 degree angle.

I also use a bungee cord to secure it to the eaves trough. An attachment like this can rest on the roof and provide support:

ladder support.jpg

Here's a picture representing how to obtain the correct angle for extension ladders. Feet at the base of the ladder, arms outstretched and palms should touch the rung straight in front of you.

Attachments

• ladder angle.PNG
    ladder angle.PNG
    549.5 KB · Views: 11
LOL.... I was looking at some on Amazon and saw one that said '16 ft reach'....

Well, it is not a 16 ft. ladder, but a 12.5 ft... but I guess you can reach 16 ft :LOL::LOL::LOL:

From the description

Telesteps 1600ET OSHA Compliant 16 ft Reach Black Tactica

12.5 ft. Black Tactical telescoping extension ladder, with 16 ft reachable height

LOL.... I was looking at some on Amazon and saw one that said '16 ft reach'....

Well, it is not a 16 ft. ladder, but a 12.5 ft... but I guess you can reach 16 ft :LOL::LOL::LOL:............
Good point. A sheet of newspaper gives me an 8 foot reach. :LOL:

Here's a picture representing how to obtain the correct angle for extension ladders. Feet at the base of the ladder, arms outstretched and palms should touch the rung straight in front of you.
That sounds like great advice for the young man in the photo.

I don't want to seem like I am harping on the dangers of falls, but here is why it has been on my mind. A week or two ago, I fell while climbing up five somewhat steep, but otherwise normal steps going into a restaurant. No ladder was involved. My sandal caught on the lip of a step, and down I went. Falling is no fun for me at age 69, even if I don't fall that far and don't hurt myself. I was fine, but it's frightening, and not like falling was for me as a 5-year-old.

I read somewhere that falls are the most common reason for hospitalization for women over 65. Different people age at different rates, and perhaps some here may want to start avoiding falls earlier or later than their late 60's, but for me that is the age for it.

All this is leading up to MY best ladder technique for those who are seeing record portfolio gains but who also are feeling fairly elderly and unstable. It is shown in the photo below. In other words, from here on out I intend to stay off of ladders for good, and instead pay a young dude like the one in your photo to help out when needed. He needs the pay, I've got the $$$, everything falls into place and makes sense.

But for readers who are not of an age to be concerned yet about falls, more power to you!!! I'll smile gleefully as you energetically scamper up those ladders and enjoy it too. I remember those days. I think that the ladder technique shown by nvestysly looks pretty good.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 46
Falling is a real danger... when my sister was still nursing someone came in who had fallen from a ladder... hit his head... was knocked out and never regained consciousness... the complications led to his death... and he was not that old.. maybe late 40s....

I'm no stranger to ladders...I've shingled dozens of roofs and have literally carried over a thousand of bundles of shingles up ladders. I'm now 55 and although I will shingle my own house next year (low slope bungalow), I can see myself cleaning the gutters for a 2 or 3 more years and then letting someone else take care of it.

This actually surprises me...I'm strong, fit, healthy, very comfortable on ladders and with heights, but at the young age of 55 I'm almost ready to pack it in and never go on a roof again. :(

Back
Top Bottom