Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why settle for 1%, when the Citi Master Card will give you 2% on everything? None of this "remembering which categories give you bonus points this quarter" stuff, either.

Also, I just started using BOA Visa for online purchases - they're offering 3% rebate (and there was a $200.00 reward for spending the first $1,000.00, which I was already going to do). If they stop that 3% offer, I'll cut up my card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If I'm going to use CC's for all my regular purchases, I might as well be getting 5% back, which is significantly better than the 1% my Amex points get me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
My one disappointment with the Amazon/Chase card was that the statement does not include item descriptions. Maybe that was an unrealistic expectation on my part. But I remember thinking (hoping) that the statement would have descriptions of each item I bought on Amazon. I use this for validation and categorization. But it just says Amazon, Amazon, Amazon, Amazon..., which is useless. To match it up with item descriptions is a very time-consuming reconciliation process with the order listings on the Amazon website.

If you review purchases on the Chase app, there is a link to the Amazon website order history with a description, pic, and shipping status. That’s more detail than any other card statement or web summary I have.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Not surprisingly, people interchange two different Amazon cards.

The OP specifically mentions Synchrony bank, which issues the Amazon Store Card. It provides a 5% reward on Amazon purchases.

Sounds like most people here use the Amazon VISA issued by Chase which offers a 5% reward on Amazon purchases for Prime members. It is a general purpose credit card which also offers smaller rewards for a few other categories, and 1% back overall.

We started with the Chase Amazon VISA which initially offered 3% rewards to prime members with a sign up bonus, but we didn’t carry it or use it for non-Amazon purchases as we had other credit cards with better rewards. When Amazon introduced their 5% rewards Store Card a few years later we jumped on it, and used it exclusively at Amazon. We liked having an Amazon only card. A couple of years later Chase matched the 5% reward at Amazon for Prime members, but we never used the cards again. Eventually Chase gave up on us and closed our cards.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My one disappointment with the Amazon/Chase card was that the statement does not include item descriptions.
That’s one thing I like about the Apple Card, it does list what was purchased from Apple. Looking at mine I see a book (including it’s title), a movie we rented, and our Apple One subscription. I also noticed it shows the location of the Best Buy store where I bought something.

My only complaint is that the Apple Card isn’t visible to mint.com. Hopefully soon.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #45

Amazon Visa occasionally has special discounts that last for several months. Last year it was 2% off all purchases from about February through May. This year it's 2% off grocery store purchases, again through May. I normally use my Costco Visa for most purchases, but these temporary offers were slightly better.

I also like the video and music benefits.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #46

I got 15% off on some TP-Link smart dimmer switches by using the Amazon Chase card when they had a promotion. I’ve seen a few other promotions as well where they offer a significant discount for using their card.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
That’s one thing I like about the Apple Card, it does list what was purchased from Apple.
Only in the app, not on the monthly statement.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I didn't know that. Let our Store card expire long ago. I'll look into this more closely, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Sounds like most people here use the Amazon VISA issued by Chase which offers a 5% reward on Amazon purchases for Prime members. It is a general purpose credit card which also offers smaller rewards for a few other categories, and 1% back overall.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I also have the Chase Amazon card, it's the default for Amazon purchases and it's never left the house. Every once in a while I convert all the points to cash back. Thanks to someone here who pointed it out, if you use the points for a purchase you don't get the 5% back on that purchase. Okay, small potatoes, but every little bit helps.
I do this too!-- ever since seeing that tip here. I use the cash back as a statement credit. It requires an extra step when the bill arrives but for me it's worth it: you give up the illusory, brief thrill of getting purchases for "free" by using points, in exchange for the even better feeling of coming out a little bit ahead (& outsmarting Bezos, though maybe that's illusory too).
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My one disappointment with the Amazon/Chase card was that the statement does not include item descriptions. Maybe that was an unrealistic expectation on my part. But I remember thinking (hoping) that the statement would have descriptions of each item I bought on Amazon. I use this for validation and categorization. But it just says Amazon, Amazon, Amazon, Amazon..., which is useless. To match it up with item descriptions is a very time-consuming reconciliation process with the order listings on the Amazon website.
In my online chase amazon account, when I click on the Amazon transaction detail, it displays the Amazon order number. This is how I link the card purchases to the orders. If I click on the order number it will directly link to the Amazon online order information.

I just checked my paper bill, and it also shows the amazon order number on the bill.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maj. Tom, get the card. Why turn down a 5% discount on your Amazon purchases?

And get over trying to maintain a credit score of 840-850. As I understand it, once you have a score of 780-800 you qualify for the best rates/maximum benefits. Anything above that is just overkill.
Thanks REW. You pushed me over the edge. I have decided to get the card the very next time I make an Amazon purchase which, based on my past history, will be happening in 3,2,1.....

My buying a campervan was the best thing that happened to Jeff Bezos

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #52

I was considering getting the AMZN Prime card a while back, but decided against it due to the relatively small sign-up bonus and ongoing cashback rewards. I figured it would take me nearly five years to rack up even $300 in cashback relative to using a standard 2% cash rewards card like the Citi DoubleCash (my primary card). So, for me, the AMZN Prime 5% card didn't make the cut.

I tend to look for cards with much larger sign-up bonuses, like the Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card I recently acquired. Within 12 months, that card will end up netting me over $1,000 in free travel on SW flights.

I might apply for the AMZN Prime card at some point down the road, if they ever offer a larger sign-up bonus, or if there aren't other more "rewarding" cards out there waiting to give me lots more cashback or travel rewards within the first year.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
In my online chase amazon account, when I click on the Amazon transaction detail, it displays the Amazon order number. This is how I link the card purchases to the orders. If I click on the order number it will directly link to the Amazon online order information.

I just checked my paper bill, and it also shows the amazon order number on the bill.
This doesn't work as well when there are two authorized users on the card though. There's no way to tell which Amazon account placed which orders.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
This doesn't work as well when there are two authorized users on the card though. There's no way to tell which Amazon account placed which orders.
This is why we have 2 separate cards, one for each of us. Easier to track and no real additional effort, and adds a degree of backup in case one card is compromised (which has not happened yet).

I also wonder why it matters who ordered what with the same account... on our joint cards there is never a question to who ordered what due to our spending/shopping interests and habits.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #55

Quote:
This is why we have 2 separate cards, one for each of us. Easier to track and no real additional effort, and adds a degree of backup in case one card is compromised (which has not happened yet).

I also wonder why it matters who ordered what with the same account... on our joint cards there is never a question to who ordered what due to our spending/shopping interests and habits.
Oh it doesn't matter to me at all. I don't even try to figure out which charge was for which items. I was just curious when you said that you could click on the order number to see what it was for, so I tried it and happened to pick one that wasn't in my own Amazon account.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
If you review purchases on the Chase app, there is a link to the Amazon website order history with a description, pic, and shipping status. That’s more detail than any other card statement or web summary I have.
Quote:
In my online chase amazon account, when I click on the Amazon transaction detail, it displays the Amazon order number. This is how I link the card purchases to the orders. If I click on the order number it will directly link to the Amazon online order information...
I don't get it...

When I go to the Chase website, and go to transaction details, I see the Amazon order number as a link. But when I click, it just takes me to the top of the first page of my order history, which displays my most recent order. It does NOT link to the actual order number I clicked, nor does it display the page with the item I purchased. It's just a simple link to the top of my Amazon order history. I clicked on several different items from several different months. All the links took me to the exact same place, which is not helpful at all.

What am I missing?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Oh it doesn't matter to me at all. I don't even try to figure out which charge was for which items. I was just curious when you said that you could click on the order number to see what it was for, so I tried it and happened to pick one that wasn't in my own Amazon account.

Okay. Perhaps I was thinking more from an automation perspective that one could easily distinguish which account by programmatically capturing and parsing the data via the account number, then totaling by account number for the charges in a bill. The programmer in me refuses to retire .
Old 04-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Okay. Perhaps I was thinking more from an automation perspective that one could easily distinguish which account by programmatically capturing and parsing the data via the account number, then totaling by account number for the charges in a bill. The programmer in me refuses to retire .
Me too - I always wanted store to itemize the credit card bill. Then I could parse out the, say, Costco bill: $170 food, $30 garden supplies, etc.

Apparently not something they want to provide us...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

So many credit cards, so many colors. Keeps us busy and happy!

Can't walk away from 5%. Just can't.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I started with the Synchrony card which was fine. But, switched to the Visa 5% with Chase which is superior in my opinion as I can get the 5% back as cash back. Also that card does give me 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1 T back elsewhere. I don't use it for that purpose.

On the Amazon Prime Visa card I always get the cash back. Never use it the reward to buy stuff on Amazon. If you do that you don't get a 5% discount on that purchase. You want to take your cash back (you can apply to your bill) then just purchase normally on Amazon itself. Don't use reward to do it.

I have cards that I use to maximize rewards:

1. Amazon Prime Visa - 5% Amazon with Prime Membership
2. Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% grocery stores (not Walmart or Target) and 6% on some streaming services
3. Chase Freedom - 3% on restaurants and drugstores
4. Fidelity Visa - 2% on everything
5. Apple - 3% on Apple stuff

It might seem hard to manage these but it isn't. The Apple card basically gives us 3% on iphone and Apple Watch purchases and anything else we buy there.

Amazon Prime Visa we use all the time because we buy a lot from Amazon

Amex is used for groceries and some streaming stuff (HBOMax for example).

Chase Freedom I use for restaurants

Everything else is the Fidelity Visa (does require depositing the case back to my Fidelity cash management account)
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote