Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tell us a few little things you do to save money
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tell us a few little things you do to save money

There are quite a few everyday things that DW and I do to economize on a daily basis. Some times we try something, but for various reasons it just doesn't work for us, but sometimes they do actually save money. I would solicit others to post their ideas as maybe it will give others ideas that may or may work for them. I mean, who doesn't like to save money, especially if it is easy to do. An added benefit might be in some cases we are helping the planet by reducing the amount going into the landfill. After all, LBYM, is a mantra around here to achieve FIRE. So saving a buck or two does really add up, (thinking about dryer sheets).

I will start out with one I am trying right now. Background is that I have always used a disposable razor, normally a lower end Gillette 2 blade version that you can buy at Walmart in a multi-pack for about $1 each. These last about three weeks on average but probably should have been thrown out after about 2 weeks because they become so dull. Early this year I saw a YouTube video about extending the life of a disposable razor by stropping them, sort of like in the old days with the old cut-throat type razors.

I was skeptical to say the least, especially when to see how the modern disposable razor is stropped. To my amazement, I started with a new Gillette disposable razor on March 16 with a quick daily stropping and I am still using it over 4 months later. The quality of shave is as good as new. I would not be surprised if I could continue using it 6 months or longer.

Of course, I am not talking about a great amount of savings but I plan to continue doing it until I get bored.

Let us hear your money saving ideas.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure if this qualifies for a "little thing", but I periodically call up my auto/home insurance company, my natural gas provider, my high-speed internet provider, and my cable/satellite provider and negotiate better pricing. And when I say negotiate, I mean REALLY negotiate. I always comparison shop before making each call, and then I use those competing offers as leverage. I believe I've saved thousands of dollars by doing this over the past several years. Actually, I bet I've saved over $1,000 alone just by doing this with my home/auto insurance company in recent years.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We don't have any plans/schemes/strategies to 'save money', we just don't want/need/spend a lot.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Canceled cable and the land line. We have an antennae, a Roku and Amazon Prime that we share with our son. He has Netflix that he shares with us. Saved $120/month.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

For shaving, I use a single blade "butterfly" double edge razor. I "strop" it on my forearm, and I rinse and dry the blade thoroughly after each use. The blades last for months. I spent about $10 for the handle and another $10 for 100 blades from Amazon a few years ago, and I expect to never have to spend another dime on razors for the rest my life.
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I will start out with one I am trying right now. Background is that I have always used a disposable razor, normally a lower end Gillette 2 blade version that you can buy at Walmart in a multi-pack for about $1 each. These last about three weeks on average but probably should have been thrown out after about 2 weeks because they become so dull. Early this year I saw a YouTube video about extending the life of a disposable razor by stropping them, sort of like in the old days with the old cut-throat type razors.
I paid $40 (on sale) plus tax for an electric razor 15 years ago...that's $3 a year so far and it's still going strong.

What has saved me the most over the years are my DIY skills. Literally 10's of thousands have been saved by shingling my own roof, building my own decks and garage, replacing the hot water tank, and doing virtually everything I can and not have to pay a contractor.

I golf for half price with coupons, load up on non-perishable groceries when they are on sale, and cook most of my meals rather than eating out.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
What has saved me the most over the years are my DIY skills and interests. Literally 10's of thousands have been saved by shingling my own roof, building my own decks and garage, replacing the hot water tank, and doing virtually everything I can and not have to pay a contractor.

+ gobs. If you don't have the skills, but have the time and interest, you can do it. I had no skills at first, but part of SAHD package was to avoid outsourcing construction/repair work. Family, all in building trades, laughed at the very idea of me trying to even wield a hammer.... I was interested and figured that books (now, YouTube, I suppose) existed for a reason.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
What has saved me the most over the years are my DIY skills. Literally 10's of thousands have been saved by shingling my own roof, building my own decks and garage, replacing the hot water tank, and doing virtually everything I can and not have to pay a contractor.
+1 Boatyards are now getting $100-150 per hour. It doesn't take much DIY on engine oil changes, impeller changes, fiberglass work, etc. to save a TON of money.

Someone's already done it on Youtube and will show you how.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I always buy 4 bottles of booze at the store, saves 10%
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
+ gobs. If you don't have the skills, but have the time and interest, you can do it. I had no skills at first, but part of SAHD package was to avoid outsourcing construction/repair work. Family, all in building trades, laughed at the very idea of me trying to even wield a hammer.... I was interested and figured that books (now, YouTube, I suppose) existed for a reason.
I was "forced" to do my own renos and repairs early in my career due to low earnings. I found that I liked it and it ended up that most of my family and friends are also DIYers. Someone wants a deck built...6 or 8 of us get together, build it, and then barbeque and have a couple beers on it. Someone needs a fence built, a few people get together and build it.

Reno projects have also become some of the best family/friend gatherings over the years. Suppose we are shingling a roof...those who may not want to (or shouldn't) get on a roof will help out by cleaning the job site, watching the kids, fetching tools, making lunch, running to the hardware store. Just like an old fashioned barn raising...everyone chips in in some way.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
+1 Boatyards are now getting $100-150 per hour. It doesn't take much DIY on engine oil changes, impeller changes, fiberglass work, etc. to save a TON of money.

Someone's already done it on Youtube and will show you how.
I agree with YouTube tutorials...have learned a lot from them.

I don't have a lot of mechanical skills beyond the basics, but almost as good is that a couple close friends do have those skills. I once had engine work done by a friend, and in turn I built a deck for them the next summer. We both saved money
Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #12

These little money saver's are fun and interesting but if you are young and just starting your ER dream concentrate on the big 3. I have read various percentages anywhere from 50-80% of the average persons expenditures are housing, transportation and food. If you can get the cheapest acceptable housing arrangement, cheapest reliable transportation situation and spend less on food (ie don't go out to eat very often). Many ways to save a buck and I will continue reading this thread for some ideas. I think many people miss the boat on the big three. Obviously medical is climbing the ladder regarding % of expenditures. Thankfully I have tricare.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I take my 88 year old mom out to a nice dinner every week. She insists on paying.
Works for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

Apparently I recycle dryer sheets.

googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Just moved my cell phone plan from monthly to pay as you go. I don't use it very much so pay as you go is much better. Plus, I do not take it when we travel which accounts for 4-5 months a year. Kept spouses since she has unlimited.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #16

I have a small 6 cu ft freezer. When my local market has a sale on meat, especially, I will but a bunch. As an example, I wait for the rib eye steak sale at $5.88/lb, where it is usually over $10/lb.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

A new trick I've gotten onto is buying warped / defective lumber at Home Depot. If I just need a piece of wood where the condition or appearance doesn't matter, I check their 70% off cart. The Home Depot near my new home is super busy and has a large selection of junk wood every time I've been in there. At these prices, it is probably cheaper than buying firewood.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I take my 88 year old mom out to a nice dinner every week. She insists on paying.
Works for me.
Is she available this Saturday?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I always buy 4 bottles of booze at the store, saves 10%
I buy a six month supply in Costco down in California and transport it up to Oregon in late spring. Even with the Cali sales tax it saves 25% or better. Granted, that does mean hoisting the 5 gallon(?) Costco glass bottles to try and mix a drink, but it's good for upper body strength. Also fun pretending to be doing a moonshine run.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Apparently I recycle dryer sheets.

Not for much longer though!