Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
you can combine the two

&

and throw an xxx-mas party.

Good idea, lazy. However, I doubt I can get DW to dress up like the gal in the picture..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Stay away from buying the demos, in any case.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Any of you entrepreneurial types think there might be a market for a Netflix type operation with these things? Or maybe a rental niche - the old 'try before you buy' concept?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Any of you entrepreneurial types think there might be a market for a Netflix type operation with these things? Or maybe a rental niche - the old 'try before you buy' concept?
I think I'll stay with buying new and not worry about buyer's remorse on this one.....
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yeah, I can tell you all about these. They are called Passion Parties here, and I went to one last month. All I can say is it is way more interesting than tupperware!

Girls were clamoring to attend the one my friend had--must have had 20 girls there. The consultant was a kindly looking mid-40s heavyset lady who described the items without much embarrassment. There were lotions, candles, toys, battery powered items and various other things. There were also contests involving a plunger and a roll of TP and a blindfold, but I digress.

I bought about $100 worth of stuff that was shipped to me a week later. Good quality, as described in the little catalog, and very popular with the DH. Not for the prudish, and plenty of fun. I think the consultant was booked for weeks/months out.

Practically everyone there bought something. Must be a huge moneymaker. I thought it was great fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, Sarah, I'll bite. Did you get the impression that the women at the party had previously bought and used such items? Or do you think they were just buying "to be polite" or to not look like a prude?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
My old boss (a woman) at the university invited me to such a party but I didn't go, especially since she was my boss and it felt really awkward.
Well, you can get screwed at the office or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd be a little concerned about the implications of intimacy with an electrical appliance having a 90-day warranty. If it's been "reconditioned", what happened to the previous customer?

And above all, you don't know where those things have been!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

And above all, you don't know where those things have been!
Actually you can narrow it down to several locations, none of which sound to appealing (at least on a second hand basis).

On the other hand, that obviously doesn't bother some woman. My sister's house was robbed and the main thing that was missing was an adult toy, helped the cops narrow the sex down of the robber.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Actually you can narrow it down to several locations, none of which sound to appealing (at least on a second hand basis).

On the other hand, that obviously doesn't bother some woman. My sister's house was robbed and the main thing that was missing was an adult toy, helped the cops narrow the sex down of the robber.
Be careful on assumptions.

My friend is a firefighter and EMT. He was on a call once where a guy had his wife's di!d@ stuck in his @nu$. The funny part was the wife had NO idea what was going on even when the EMTs arrived and still had no clue when they left either.

I tell my friend he should write a book or sell his stories to a comedian. He can keep me entertained for hours. His quote is in my signature (the one about other people's stupidity is his own job security).
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Be careful on assumptions.

It was the male use of the toys which caused my eww gross reaction to a second hand market.

In my sister case, the robber also stole perfume and costume jewelry, so while a transvestite burglar is possible, a teen girl is most likely.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I'm trying to work "buy and hold" into this discussion
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I heard of those "temptation" parties for the first time from a friend who lives in Michigan... She didn't particularly enjoy the party as she is fairly conservative. Since selling adult toys is not allowed in AL, I don't think such parties are going on down here, but who knows
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My sweet SIL got invited to one of those special "toy" parties a few years ago. She is a widow and I think her friends wanted to cheer her up. As it turns out, the cheer they presented her with was called the King Tut. She has begged me to rush to her apartment if she should die so that her two adult sons don't find "The King". What is SHOE supposed to do with him!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Okay, Sarah, I'll bite. Did you get the impression that the women at the party had previously bought and used such items? Or do you think they were just buying "to be polite" or to not look like a prude?
Nah, nothing like that. I've been to one of those Pampered Chef parties, and it was exactly like that: dutiful friends buying apple corers and such like. Yuck.

This was a knowledgeable crowd of 20 to 30 somethings that were ready to buy! Everyone was quite enthusiastic as items were passed around and we chased each other around with some of the crazier ones! Very rowdy crowd that included a whole bunch of dietitians, if you can imagine.

Most of us had some limited experience with either the toys or the lotions, and were very interested in, um, handling some of the more exotic offerings just to see what they were. The thing that is the key to these parties is it is okay to check out the merchandise closely. I can just about guarantee that none of the girls in the room would spend time in some creepy sex toy store full of pervy men. The party gave us an opportunity to look at stuff we'd never go to a store to see.

As you all probably know, I'm a pretty conservative gal, but as I've gotten older I've let loose a lot more of my preconceived notions of gentility, and tried to have more fun than I did in my straitlaced 20s. Back then, I would have been horrified to be asked to something so naughty. Now I'm like...bring it!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
My sweet SIL got invited to one of those special "toy" parties a few years ago. She is a widow and I think her friends wanted to cheer her up. As it turns out, the cheer they presented her with was called the King Tut. She has begged me to rush to her apartment if she should die so that her two adult sons don't find "The King". What is SHOE supposed to do with him!
ah, made me look it up. i was uninformed about the King Tut until now.
in a rush, i would suggest a deep pot of soil and camouflage it as a cactus. a very neon pink cactus.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
As you all probably know, I'm a pretty conservative gal, but as I've gotten older I've let loose a lot more of my preconceived notions of gentility, and tried to have more fun than I did in my straitlaced 20s. Back then, I would have been horrified to be asked to something so naughty. Now I'm like...bring it!
There are some advantages to getting older.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Great stories.

Quote:
She has begged me to rush to her apartment if she should die so that her two adult sons don't find "The King".
Reminds me of the scene in Parenthood (after the power outage).
Old 11-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nah, nothing like that. I've been to one of those Pampered Chef parties, and it was exactly like that: dutiful friends buying apple corers and such like. Yuck.

This was a knowledgeable crowd of 20 to 30 somethings that were ready to buy! Everyone was quite enthusiastic as items were passed around and we chased each other around with some of the crazier ones! Very rowdy crowd that included a whole bunch of dietitians, if you can imagine.

Most of us had some limited experience with either the toys or the lotions, and were very interested in, um, handling some of the more exotic offerings just to see what they were. The thing that is the key to these parties is it is okay to check out the merchandise closely. I can just about guarantee that none of the girls in the room would spend time in some creepy sex toy store full of pervy men. The party gave us an opportunity to look at stuff we'd never go to a store to see.

So men are pervy if they go to a store to look at "toys" But its perfectly acceptable for women to get together and its not pervy Im trying to sort this out and understand it correctly...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
... the cheer they presented her with was called the King Tut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Reminds me of the scene in Parenthood (after the power outage).
I'll never look at Steve Martin the same way again, and now I'll have that song running through my head for the rest of the day...

Um, Shoe, you were reading jIMOh's post #29 about the paramedics, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhhh, Nords, #29.....well here's another true story along the line of jIMOh's. My son's former girlfriend was studying to be a nurse and interning in the emergency department of the local hospital. A young man about 16 walks in with a golf ball in the strangest of places. Since he was underage, the staff informed him that his parents had to be notified. He begged and pleaded that they not be told butt of course they had to since they carried the insurance on him and it had to be surgically removed. I swear this is true story. Okay now I'll sit here at the keyboard and wait for the wise cracks!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote