Join Early Retirement Today

Ten Best Early Retirement Towns
Old 12-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ten Best Early Retirement Towns

I just found a new Youtube on this topic, released this afternoon:

Here's the towns he likes best for early retirement, in order with his favorite one first:

1. Sherman, Texas
2. Portland, Maine
3. Pierre, South Dakota
4. Savannah, Georgia
5. Omaha, Nebraska
6. Boseman, Montana
7. St. George, Utah
8. Twin Falls, Idaho
9. Lake Havasu City, Arizona
10. Huntsville, Alabama

We aren't thinking of moving, but I enjoy this youtuber's videos and thought someone here might find this one interesting or useful. He shows some footage from each town and discusses why he likes that town for early retirement.

When we WERE thinking of moving (around 2005-2010), our three top choices were Springfield, Missouri, Fayetteville, Arkansas, and Huntsville, Alabama. So, we agreed on Huntsville.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just recently was in St George. Would never consider as a retirement town.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

I enjoyed the video. Savannah, Georgia looked very nice.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Just recently was in St George. Would never consider as a retirement town.
Oh I know, I know. My brother's name is George, and if I retired to St. George I'd never hear the end of it!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I enjoyed the video. Savannah, Georgia looked very nice.
Glad you liked it! I have never been to Savannah, but I love the architecture there and from what he said, the food there is terrific as well.

Lake Havasu City AZ
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lake Havasu City AZ

Summertime temperatures there make it not such a great place.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always found it interesting that people would move just to retire early. While I retired early I would never have compromised moving from my family, friends and life just to be able to quit work. Plus the total unknown of moving somewhere you don't really know if you will like.

I understand many people do it but its not for me.
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Summertime temperatures there make it not such a great place.

That's why your domicile is in Pierre, South Dakota! Retreat from the heat and file your taxes, then return to Lake Havasu once they turn off the blow torch!

I am working on taxes, I may want to look closer at Pierre...
Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #9

Funny. Savannah is as-advertised. Don’t tell anyone! In fact, my mother is retired there and I’m going to see her on Tuesday, and to gain weight.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents lived in Huntsville for a while. Dad was in the army there. No one in this family will be retiring there.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTedOut View Post
I've always found it interesting that people would move just to retire early. While I retired early I would never have compromised moving from my family, friends and life just to be able to quit work. Plus the total unknown of moving somewhere you don't really know if you will like.

I understand many people do it but its not for me.
It's just different. We moved away from "home" at 21 for opportunities. Successfully done, but there's nobody left at home. Okay there's a few but things are different now. I guess our world became bigger and theirs stayed the same. I couldn't go back there..

Sure we could stay where we were, KC, it's awesome there. But why not go somewhere different? New people, food, areas to explore. For us it's more about living in an area we love and can have new adventures in. Of course there's things we miss but the adventure is just starting. Last year we experienced what living in 10-12 feet of snowfall was like. That was way different from the midwest.[emoji1787]

Good video. Interesting choices never been to any of these except Portland ME. A former co-w*rker lived in Huntsville and thought it was nice.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Administrator

The only one of them I would consider is Portland, Maine. Actually, I would live in the Mid-Coast region (where we summer) and drive down to Portland as necessary.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #13

Nice Video. I did cringe every time he mispronounced Pierre SD (it is pronounced Peer). I've been to or lived in the following on this list. Bozeman MT is the most attractive package of these ones.
3. Pierre, South Dakota
5. Omaha, Nebraska
6. Bozeman, Montana
7. St. George, Utah
8. Twin Falls, Idaho
9. Lake Havasu City, Arizona

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Peer, er, I mean Pierre South Dakota is on his list!? What a fickle Youtuber. The same fellow made a video 19 months earlier with the top 10 reasons NOT to move to SD! He was right the first time - do not move to SD - you'll die of either loneliness or frozen to death from a blizzard in May. And the political muck-a-mucks dream up slogans like "Meth. We're on it."

(At least wait till we buy a house here. Already a seller's market.)
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I love Maine and love Portland, but we had some friends who move to York, ME a couple years ago and have found it to be very expensive and very high taxes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
Peer, er, I mean Pierre South Dakota is on his list!? What a fickle Youtuber. The same fellow made a video 19 months earlier with the top 10 reasons NOT to move to SD! He was right the first time - do not move to SD - you'll die of either loneliness or frozen to death from a blizzard in May. And the political muck-a-mucks dream up slogans like "Meth. We're on it."

(At least wait till we buy a house here. Already a seller's market.)
Having lived in South Dakota, that is the most awesome description of the place I've ever seen. Holy Cow! You are correct. I can't believe that this is the same guy that said to move there!!

And actually, it is very lonely when you are freezing to death in a blizzard in May.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #17

Regarding the St. George listing, I was reading recently that some of the locals are starting to resent the influx of outsiders, especially in the winter. Of course, it is too hot to live there in the summer.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just found a new Youtube on this topic, released this afternoon:

We aren't thinking of moving, but I enjoy this youtuber's videos and thought someone here might find this one interesting or useful. He shows some footage from each town and discusses why he likes that town for early retirement.

When we WERE thinking of moving (around 2005-2010), our three top choices were Springfield, Missouri, Fayetteville, Arkansas, and Huntsville, Alabama. So, we agreed on Huntsville.
There really should have been more southern cities on the list. I certainly agree with you about SW MO, NW AR and N AL being great retirement regions. The people there are just so gentle in spirit.

We moved to NW AL to escape Atlanta traffic and congestion--knowing no one was going to last to full retirement age at MegaCorp. And we just moved to Huntsville--one of the smartest U.S. cities they call the "Rocket City". We also have a lake house an hour away on the fabulous Tennessee River.

But the video forgot to add Franklin, TN, home of so many music and movie stars. If it's good enough for Nicole Kidman and Justin Timberlake, it's good enough for me.

I would also add Beaufort, SC to the list. Many think Auburn/Opelika, AL is another secret retirement city, with all the culture a large university adds.

We just love the mountains of East TN, Western NC and NE GA, and there are many great smaller, livable communities with very low COL there. Once there, people never leave.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The only one on the list I’d consider would be Savannah - until the next hurricane, so scratch that. These lists are fun, but they always depend on the chosen criteria, and of course that’s unique to each of us. That’s what Sperlings, City Data, etc. are for. I think we’ve found our best place.

https://www.bestplaces.net/fybp/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #20

Personally, nearly the entire list is either too far north, or too far from the ocean. Spent too much of my life in both...

BUT, looks like most would make for a nice anchor home with a vacation/winter home in a warm weather clime, near the water.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote