Ten Thousand Laptops Missing~Each week!

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
An amazing statistic.

Even more impressive is that this number is for large airports only! That's 534,456 laptops stolen each year from only 36 U.S. locations. The shear size of this number makes me question the accuracy of this survey.

Close to 10,278 laptops are reported lost every week at 36 of the largest U.S. airports, and 65% of those laptops are not reclaimed, the survey said. Around 2,000 laptops are recorded lost at the medium-size airports, and 69% are not reclaimed. The institute conducted field surveys at 106 airports in 46 states and surveyed 864 business travelers.
Survey: More than 10,000 laptops lost each week at airports

We've had to put fraud alerts on our accounts twice because of "missing" laptops. Once from our mortgage co and once from DH's employer. :rant:

OOoo guess Ill keep a close eye on mine. Maybe Ill get that low jack thingie they got for them..

You're better off not flying with your laptop at all. Customs can seize it and copy its contents without a warrant.

That comes out to 41 laptops missing a day per airport, I don't know how realistic that is and I believe it is about 1/4 that. They may include lost laptops as a part of lost/misplaced luggage which will arrive late. I doubt 25 people completely lose a laptop EVERY DAY in all of these major airports, it would be a far bigger deal and all over CNN, etc.

Note to self: check ebay for good deals on pre-owned laptops.

Last edited:
Note to self: check ebay for good deals on pre-owned laptops.
Other notes to self - back up hard drive and store sensitive info off the hard drive.

I see the survey was sponsored by Dell, "which today announced new security services to commercial customers, including tracking and recovery of lost laptops and data-theft prevention. Dell's laptop-tracking service uses technology to locate and recover lost laptops, including GPS. The data protection services include the ability to remotely delete data on a hard drive and services to recover data from failed hard drives." Probably just a coincidence that the survey supports the need for Dell's new service?

Something doesnt sound right with those figures,i think Bestwifeever might be onto the reason why.

I did not read it... don't care... but from the OP post... they say 'lost', not stolen....

I would have a hard time believing this stat... Most people who are carrying a laptop keeps track of that better than other pieces of luggage... at least everyone I have seen...

And then... you would think that if someone left a laptop laying around and left... that it would be 'found' by someone else and not given to lost and found.... so, are the stats coming from the airport who can show that they have a big stash of laptops in the back room... OR is this from people who call up the airport and say 'I lost my laptop'?

As an example... my BIL left his 35mm camera at the airport when they had way to many bags... he thought my sister had it... called the airport and they said 'nope, no cameras were turned in'.... and thinking about this... I would think there would be more cameras left behind than laptops!!! Where is our GPS for our cameras:confused:

Back
Top Bottom