Join Early Retirement Today

Tennis again
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tennis again

Who saw that incredible Federer/Djokovic match today? And the Nadal/Murray is showing promise now too.
My old fave I couldn't remember was Roscoe Tanner, who always seemed to exhibit exemplary sportsmanship--which made this a big shock:
Blast from the Past: Roscoe Tanner, Tennis Bad Boy | Bleacher Report
But of course I followed him on the court, and only a year or so ago wondered, "Whatever happened to..."
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wasn't he the guy with a big serve? And pretty much it?
McEnroe was my favorite rogue player. I still have fun watching him on TV as commentator. People never really change, they just get older.
toreornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Who saw that incredible Federer/Djokovic match today? And the Nadal/Murray is showing promise now too.
I watched it - fantastic game.

Pity that Murray could not maintain his comeback and take that game into a 5th set.

Should be a cracking final - not sure I'll be able to see it as we'll be traveling now that it is moved to Monday.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreornot View Post
Wasn't he the guy with a big serve? And pretty much it?
McEnroe was my favorite rogue player. I still have fun watching him on TV as commentator. People never really change, they just get older.
Yes, Tanner had a huge serve, I recall.

McEnroe was my favorite in the 1980s, too. Although I do not follow pro tennis much any more, I did tune in to watch a few minutes of the Nadal match. Were you watching it when McEnroe was going off about some fan sitting in a front row behind one of the players and who was not settled into his seat, delaying the play? He soon apologized to his fellow announcers for his mild outburst, claiming that it "brought back some nightmares!" LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

No, I did not watch Nadal's match, but I'm not surprised with Mac's outburst. Yes, it is a lot fo fun, I think that;s why he keeps that job, not because of his technical commentaries.
toreornot is offline   Reply With Quote