Join Early Retirement Today

Terrible Action by Target
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Terrible Action by Target

Don't know if anyone else has seen this, if its already been posted - apologies.

News story examining Target raising prices shown to customers on their app upon entering the store. Terrible business practice at best, shareholders should be alarmed.

http://www.kare11.com/video/news/the...d-896d58ea2742
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll have to see how my wife deals with it. She is the Target fan and has their app and uses all kinds of functions on it I can't figure out.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DD loves Target but they did something to her that she swears she's going elsewhere.

In December she was doing her Christmas shopping and had a shopping cart full of goods... she had one item that she forgot that was across the store so she left her basket there and went across the store to fetch the last item. By the time she got back, some Target employees had concluded that her shopping cart was abandoned and had returned everything to the shelves.... she swears that she was only gone 10 minutes... she had a cow.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Target store prices and web prices can differ. I had them price match themselves.

Also I have seen larger package sizes actually be more expensive per unit than the smaller package size. Very counter intuitive.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

Dynamic pricing. Try buying baseball tickets online. A different price every day, and probably different if they know I have looked several times.

I am not justifying it, just explaining it.

Target seems to be unique by actually changing the price based on location. But others will follow.

When working, our highest profit margin customers were the regulars. They called, we fulfilled (with a minor discount). They were happy, we were happy.

It's not personal, just business.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

They lost me during the "bathroom" fiasco. Not going back.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DD loves Target but they did something to her that she swears she's going elsewhere.

In December she was doing her Christmas shopping and had a shopping cart full of goods... she had one item that she forgot that was across the store so she left her basket there and went across the store to fetch the last item. By the time she got back, some Target employees had concluded that her shopping cart was abandoned and had returned everything to the shelves.... she swears that she was only gone 10 minutes... she had a cow.
I have had similar things happen several times there. I would leave my cart near the registers and use the ladies room--less than five minutes. Cart was gone and I was told they put the items back.

Another time I had a cart full of items and was in the sock department--skinny aisle where the cart couldn't really fit. Gone again.

Wonder how much business they lose from this--people say "forget it, I really didn't need the stuff anyway."
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's stupid... it's happened enough that you would think they would just put the cart to the side for a hour and see if a customer comes along for it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greydog17 View Post
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, if its already been posted - apologies.

News story examining Target raising prices shown to customers on their app upon entering the store. Terrible business practice at best, shareholders should be alarmed.

http://www.kare11.com/video/news/the...d-896d58ea2742

They are punishing customers for using their app and providing Target with their location. The trick (per the new piece) is to check that you Never allow Target to have your location.

I agree, it is a terrible business practice.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Seems pretty common with lots of businesses, make the regular customer pay more.

I don't shop at Target much, so if I see a good online deal, I'll buy and go pick it up. I don't have their card or app.

But this is similar to Redbox. I have 20 accounts with redbox from years ago. They changed the system about a year ago, so I "registered" one of the accounts.
It's very handy, I can reserve a DVD online, then go to the box and pick it up.

However, I've noticed, that account occasionally gets a 50 cent code deal, buy the other 19 accounts regularly get $1.25 code deals.

It does not seem to pay to be a regular customer. ( I use the good deal codes and they work for the registered account ).
Old 02-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Their name is "Target"... and the target is YOU!

This reminds me of that Tom Cruise movie (Minority Report?) where in the future, when you walk into a store they know who you are, what you want and what your size is, etc. and even call your name on small speakers when you pass a product you might like.

As someone noted though it's almost like the airlines and sports venues who price according to demand.

Next they'll be pricing according to your income, credit score and the balance on your Target bill.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Next they'll be pricing according to your income, credit score and the balance on your Target bill.
What makes you think that’s not already happening? When you shop online how do know the price you see is the same others see?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What makes you think that’s not already happening? When you shop online how do know the price you see is the same others see?
Ummmmm..... because it's on the internet and everything on the internet is true? Someone told me that once.

Seriously, I was once looking up pricing for a flight and was going back and forth several times. Within a few minutes the price had gone up 30%; seems that my repeated inquiries had made this a suddenly desirable flight.
I logged out, gave it a day and the price had gone back down.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #14

There is also technology used by some stores (especially department stores) that tracks what you are really interested in buying, so they can tempt you with sale offers.

Your phone is detected as soon as you walk in the door and you're tracked as you walk around.

Geolocator beacons make note of how long you linger in front of particular items.

Hidden cameras in store displays watch your facial expressions as you look at things.

I am not making this up.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

If she is like my DW, she probably saw 3 people she knew, and 10 minutes became 30 minutes......
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Also I have seen larger package sizes actually be more expensive per unit than the smaller package size. Very counter intuitive.
I have seen this in lots of stores, and it can vary from product to product. It always pays to check the unit prices!
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There is also technology used by some stores (especially department stores) that tracks what you are really interested in buying, so they can tempt you with sale offers.

Your phone is detected as soon as you walk in the door and you're tracked as you walk around.

Geolocator beacons make note of how long you linger in front of particular items.

Hidden cameras in store displays watch your facial expressions as you look at things.

I am not making this up.
You're freaking me out, man.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ummmmm..... because it's on the internet and everything on the internet is true? Someone told me that once.

Seriously, I was once looking up pricing for a flight and was going back and forth several times. Within a few minutes the price had gone up 30%; seems that my repeated inquiries had made this a suddenly desirable flight.
I logged out, gave it a day and the price had gone back down.
I have a similar concern regarding air fares

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I am not making this up
Another reason to stay out of stores
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to Surveillance Capitalism
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #20

For several months a couple of years ago, my Safeway would block their app when you got close to the door. After figuring it out, I would e-mail "My List" to myself and have the e-mail open when I walked through the door.

The local Kohls no longer has paper price signs. All of them are LCD displays. They can change them as often as they like. I don't shop there much, but it's unnerving. Lots of chains, such as Staples, often have different prices at the store than on-line. Caveat Emptor!
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote