Texas flood

Wow on the video.

My parents live in SA, but they're on relatively high ground. If their house floods, I'd expect to see Noah cruise by...

Newspaper said that the Blanco River crested more than 11 feet above the previous high water mark (40 feet vs 29). Hundreds of homes gone, several bridges washed out. Three people confirmed dead so far and several missing. And major rain forecast for this afternoon.

The good news is that this may have broken our hydrological drought - although rainfall has been OK the past 2 years, the lakes were critically low. Lake Travis has gone from 34% full to more than 50% full and water is still flowing in. Hasn't been that high in more than 4 years.

Wimberley was hit pretty hard. A wall of water went through the city- 12 are still missing, one dead. Some families were in their home when they were picked up off the foundation and pushed downriver.

That video is incredible, and you can tell that the water was a lot higher by the downed trees. It was probably over the bridge deck since the deck was ripped off the piers.

And it continues to storm:( my little sailboat is on Canyon Lake which is now full. It's gone up 20-30 feet. I just checked on my boat and the lake is full of debris, logs, picnic tables, porta johns. It's going to be a while before I feel comfortable getting back into the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 40
The videos and news reports are just heartbreaking.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who lost their homes, and condolences to the loved ones of those who lost their lives.

Mother Nature can be unforgiving. :(:(

Last edited:
In the past 3 to 4 years we have been experiencing an exceptional drought in much of the state. Nothing was growing (trees, grass, crops) and most of the local ranches had to have hay trucked in from the eastern states for their cattle.

Lakes and rivers were dropping to record low levels. The news at night would show all the abandon cars (many probably stolen) that we showing up in the lakes as the water levels dropped.

Now it won’t seem to stop raining. It's been that way for the past 3 or 4 months now. Almost everyday we get rain. Sometimes (like right now) it's been extremely heavy. I expect 2 to 3 inches more today in our area. The Trinity River, (in my county), is at the highest levels I have even seen it. They say it's about 6 feet over flood stage now (flood stage is 36 feet) and will rise another 3 to 4 feet before it finally crests in a few days. If it keeps raining, who knows where it will top out? I drove over the river bridge a few days ago and the water levels were maybe 6 to 7 feet from the highway road surface.

It's too bad we can't send some of this to California.

Last edited:
Much of the Houston area received over 10" of rain last night. Worst flooding here since Tropical Storm Allison in 2001. Fans attending the Houston Rockets - Golden State Warriors playoff game were not allowed to leave the Toyota Center for several hours after the game ended until the storms subsided. Three deaths confirmed so far.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Absolutely amazing and horrible flooding for an area just a few days ago as dry as a bone.

I wouldn't be buying a used car from that area anytime soon though.

Looks like it was worse than Allison - at least for SW Houston

Chimney Rock/Braeswood looked underwater

Absolutely amazing and horrible flooding for an area just a few days ago as dry as a bone.

I wouldn't be buying a used car from that area anytime soon though.

When I was in Houston two weeks ago it rained every day and the ground was saturated. No where for the water to go.

One of the reasons I am glad we left Houston 25 years ago.

amen, but I'm still worried about my friends and family down there

those people killed in the floating house on the blanco were friends of friends

My daughter's family just escaped leaving the San Marcos area before the worst hit. It looks so awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I hope all you guys in TX and OK are safe and stay that way.

Unbelievable....I've never seen anything like that. :(

The folks standing on that road portion at the very end of the video are really taking their chances being there. :nonono:

Last edited:
I don't have a rain gauge, but according to a local news channel, I got 3-4" of rain last night, in about three hours...

~300 miles to your south, we got just under 2 inches overnight. This brings our total for May to more than 13 inches. We're at 25 inches for the year, more than 80% of our annual average of 30 inches.

It's a jungle out there - a very wet one. :)

Just got back from checking out our neighborhood ponds, sidewalks and a road that connects two phases of our development and is adjacent to a creek. Everything is totally flooded, water must have risen about 5-10 ft overnight. I wouldn't have thought this was possible. Maybe time to check out getting flood insurance, although I am pretty far away from that lower end of our development. Looks like more rain on the way for today and weekend.

Just got back from checking out our neighborhood ponds, sidewalks and a road that connects two phases of our development and is adjacent to a creek. Everything is totally flooded, water must have risen about 5-10 ft overnight. I wouldn't have thought this was possible. Maybe time to check out getting flood insurance, although I am pretty far away from that lower end of our development. Looks like more rain on the way for today and weekend.

Love Field recorded 4.7 inches of rain overnight...

I don't have a rain gauge, but according to a local news channel, I got 3-4" of rain last night, in about three hours...

Reading your post, I suddenly remembered we DO have the rain gauge out, and I had emptied it early yesterday. Just ran out to check it, it now has 4.1 inches in it from early this morning. Splish splash.

Skeeters have gotten bad!

Back
Top Bottom