Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Texas: just another way of saying Danger!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Texas: just another way of saying Danger!

Gotta say, I do enjoy the attitude of some Texans...

"Kelli Howie, 41, Harden’s wife, said the couple had Spanky for about two years before he got out of the fence and ventured onto the neighbor’s property. Before Sunday, he had never showed any real aggression, she said.
"My grandkids rode on his back and did everything with him," she said. "I have always heard they were spitters, but he never spit on anyone except for my sister — and if you knew my sister, you would understand why he spit on her."
She can’t believe what happened: "A llama? Who would have thunk it"?

When a llama attacks! A true North Texas story of survival | Crime and Safety | Star-Telegram.com

Llamas - add 'em to the llist.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It isn't publicized, but each year Texas puppies and kittens maim and kill hundreds of unsuspecting new residents.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lot's a critters in Texas!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It isn't publicized, but each year Texas puppies and kittens maim and kill hundreds of unsuspecting new residents.
Yeah, but for those of us used to their ways, they make fine pets. And I keep trying to tell people that Texas is full, there are no vacancies. Maybe we could stand to lose a few carpetbaggers and it gives the kittens and puppies something to do.

It's all these exotic animals people are bringing into the state that are just unpredictable. Remember the Emus?
Quote:
In Wichita Falls, an animal control warden was injured in April when one of the large, flightless birds kicked him, said Reuben Warren, assistant director of the city-county health district.
About 20 minutes after the April sighting, two of the birds were cornered, shot and killed behind a public housing complex by animal control wardens who loaded the carcasses into their trucks and hauled them away.
The stories of the wild birds are quickly becoming Texas' answer to the legend of Big Foot.
``I heard about a man who was almost ripped open from his neck to his belly when he tried to scare a bunch of birds off of the road,'' said Delila Thompson, who lives near a former emu ranch in Grayson County.
``People need to stop setting those darn things free before someone gets killed.''
Thank God that craze went away. But now, I hear that the next fade in exotics are Alpacas. There's even a video some guy took as he was attacked near San Angelo:

Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But Texas kitties is so cute!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Tom/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Cougar Snarling WAV Free Loop and Sound Download from Free-Loops.com
Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #6

Quote:

"I just happened to be on the opposite side of the fence and I happened to have a pipe in my hand," Flowers said. "I cleared the fence and just started beating on him."
Always good to have a pipe handy. I have always wondered what those uppity llamas are secretly thinking.

Quote:
At first, the wife said, she couldn’t understand what her husband was saying. It sounded as if he said he had been attacked by a lawn mower.
"I thought he said lawn mower," she said. "He said, 'No, I got attacked by a llama and I’m bleeding pretty bad.'
Sounds like the hearing aid thread that I was reading yesterday on the forum.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Gotta say, I do enjoy the attitude of some Texans...
Every part of that story is so Texas.

- The neighbor having a pipe at hand.
- The diction:
""That sapsucker just went crazy," Steele said Thursday before heading into a doctor’s appointment. "He run into me and knocked me down, and then he grabbed my leg with his mouth and went to jerking on me."
- The victim's wife's occupation
- "lawn mower" ? "llama"?
- This cardiac patient requiring hundreds of stitches after loss of a lot of blood goes home that night.
- Llama's owner puts the animal down immediately--himself. Done.
- No word about anybody suing anybody
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, there's a reason they're used as flock guardians for flocks of sheep, folks.

I loved that the llama owner's wife is 41 and already has grandchildren who are big enough to ride a llama. I'm not going to say it's a Texas thing, but....
Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Every part of that story is so Texas.
- "lawn mower" ? "llama"?
- Llama's owner puts the animal down immediately--himself. Done.
- No word about anybody suing anybody
dang llama dinged me up = dang lahmer dinged me up = dang lawn mower dinged me up. seems reasonable, as do whacking (in a mafia sense) the lahmer and not suing the neighbor, assuming medical costs are covered.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Yeah, there's a reason they're used as flock guardians for flocks of sheep, folks.
That's interesting! I've noticed donkey's being used as flock guardians for goats (you guessed it - here in TX). DH says they're very protective.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The video was priceless. My theory is fire ants were involved in the Llama going wild and attacking.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Always good to have a pipe handy. I have always wondered what those uppity llamas are secretly thinking.
Most Texans in our area prefer Zig-Zag to pipes. But that may just be a local preference.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote