Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Same here, but it is VERY hard to explain to people (even friends and family) that we pay by the text and by the minute, so please don;t include us on group texts that go on and on and on until everyone has added their comments or approvals Most of our friends and family think we are hailing from the last century - some are too young to even know that there are cellphone plans that are not "unlimited everything"
The issue is they all think paying $70/month for cell phone services is normal
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Many years ago (at least ten) I started getting emails from people who thought they were contacting a small business owner in Canada. His email address is the same as mine, with one letter different. They were usually things like contracts, progress reports from contractors, etc.

At first I tried forwarding them to him with an explanation, but they kept coming. So I contacted him directly and asked him to be sure his contacts were using his address, not mine.

His response was "Don't worry about it, just delete them. If they're that sloppy I don't want their business."

I'm still getting (and deleting) them now and then.
I had a similar situation and started replying that he no longer works here. Problem was totally solved in a week.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I rarely just pick up the phone and call someone anymore unless it's an emergency or extremely time sensitive. Even if I just want to chat with my brother, I'll first send him a text or email and say, hey let's catch-up, you got time for a call? If it's just a quick message or question, text is preferable because each party can respond when it's convenient.

I get very few if any commercial texts. I do get some email requests to fill out surveys and such. I don't mind it. If I have something to communicate, I'll do the survey. If not, I just ignore it and move on. Completely harmless IMHO.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

My kids wish I didn't know how to text.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
My kids wish I didn't know how to text.

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I rarely just pick up the phone and call someone anymore unless it's an emergency or extremely time sensitive. Even if I just want to chat with my brother, I'll first send him a text or email and say, hey let's catch-up, you got time for a call? If it's just a quick message or question, text is preferable because each party can respond when it's convenient.
Some of my friends run their own businesses and are very busy, so a text is often the most convenient way to send a short message. If I need to talk to one of them, I will send them a text and ask them to call me when they have a couple minutes.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Some of my friends run their own businesses and are very busy, so a text is often the most convenient way to send a short message. If I need to talk to one of them, I will send them a text and ask them to call me when they have a couple minutes.
this. Our dispatcher uses text all day long for jobs called in. Much easier than trying to transcribe what you are hearing (as you drive) an address. Now i just say I'm driving can you text that address? Works great. Then at the end of the day our dispatcher can scroll through and put his schedule together

Mrs scrapr called the other day as i was entering in payroll. You do not want to mess up payroll! So i pull off as we chit chat about dogs, family and other important stuff. I wish she would make an appointment to chit chat w/me
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with others that text is less intrusive, quicker and more convenient.

DH and I talk to our parents about once a week. Our children text us much much more. Last night, DS texted us about his soccer game. He plays in a rec league after work. After working all day, playing soccer into the night, he would never call to tell us about it but he would take a few seconds to text us. We watched his every game when he was growing up. Now that he lives about an hour away, it is so nice to be in touch for such daily lives that is not important enough for a call

DS: Star forward scored a hat trick but wasn't enough
Me: You didn't help
DS: I was like 0-5 shooting haha

My cousin just learned to text so she can be in touch with her grandchildren often
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #49

Never texted before the kids had smartphones.

Texts are just so darned convenient...I've come to prefer them over an actual call.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Same here, but it is VERY hard to explain to people (even friends and family) that we pay by the text and by the minute, so please don;t include us on group texts that go on and on and on until everyone has added their comments or approvals Most of our friends and family think we are hailing from the last century - some are too young to even know that there are cellphone plans that are not "unlimited everything"
Have you considered just giving them the info on how to contact you on your (likely) preferred method of communication, telegraph?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Incoming text message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...

Incoming message...

My response...
Why don't you just ignore the texts?

I have to ignore a lot of messages on this forum.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Why don't you just ignore the texts?

I have to ignore a lot of messages on this forum.
Can't put the messenger on ignore like I can on this forum.

Plus, my phone alerts me each time I get a message. Since I don't have a "spam" feature for text messages, I have to look at the message to be sure it isn't important. PITA.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Plus, my phone alerts me each time I get a message. Since I don't have a "spam" feature for text messages, I have to look at the message to be sure it isn't important. PITA.
You appear to suffer from a bit of last-text-itis (I am a fellow sufferer, and this is part of why my children wish I didn't know how to text) in responding to even the first text from the dealer.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You appear to suffer from a bit of last-text-itis...
No I don't.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If I operated this way, I would have zero social life.
Me too. Times are changing. I'd rather embrace it and be involved.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #56

Quote:

You can change the settings on your phone so you do not get a notification/ alert every time a text comes in.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Back when I had an old flip phone (just two years ago!), it cost me 20c to send or receive a text, (as well as being super cumbersome to compose one), so I didn't like getting texts. And I couldn't have that feature without breaking my cheap legacy plan.

So it was some relief to migrate to a smart phone and have free unlimited texts. And now we are actually paying less for both smart phones and unlimited everything than we were paying for one smart and one dumb with restrictions on minutes, data and texts.

I mainly use it to receive alert texts from various financial institutions/credit cards etc., for receiving alerts about debits, etc. and for security notices, codes for 2-step verification , etc. It's super handy for this and if something suspicious happens I am notified immediately - $5000 charge on my Fidelity VISA - what?!?! Also to get status on trains/planes when traveling, etc.

But also family members send photos and messages by text rather than email. And texts are free for me overseas. And DH and I text each other occasionally - I'm just got done at the Doctor's, blah, blah.

So - it's super handy!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
You can change the settings on your phone so you do not get a notification/ alert every time a text comes in.
And if I do that and get an important text from someone I won't know it until I look at my phone, maybe 3 or 4 hours later. Not worth the risk.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Have you considered just giving them the info on how to contact you on your (likely) preferred method of communication, telegraph?
Our kids refuse to use the waxed string and tin cans we prefer. But seriously, our $15 phones WILL text, but it takes a while since the letters are like ABC DEF GHI, etc. etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have never texted, tweeted, snap-chatted or instagrammed. And, given that I have no cell phone and no plans to obtain one, it's likely I never will.
+1... 'cept for the cell phone... Only for when I go up to the loake for a day or three... Have only called my DW, and it's for emergency and "I love you" calls.
No one else has the number.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote