Texting gone too far

I will use a short text message ("Hello. You busy?") to get the attention of friends who are still w*rking, almost like a pager. If they cannot call me, they will send a quick message back telling me when they will be free to call. End of text session. :D
I also use it to send a message about my estimated arrival time if I am delayed. Very handy.
When we travel, I will occasionally send a message or good photo (camera in cell) to friends' email to pass the time while Mr B is driving. He is not much of a talker when he is behind the wheel.

Mr B does not have texting on his cell. :LOL:
My sister has social avoidance disorder. She texts, when she absolutely has to communicate. I text when i want to reach one of my sons and not bother them at work or out to dinner or whatever.

However my communication preferences are face to face, followed by phone, followed by a very distant texting. Direct interaction is important to me, and people who prefer other methods tend to fall off my radar.

Ha

I had a pocket sewn into my wedding dress when it was made for me. But I put my pocketknife in there.

I'm almost afraid to ask - why did you feel it necessary to carry a knife in your wedding dress?:hide: Was the groom nervous about that?

I used it to cut the wedding cake, of course! :dance:

I always have a couple of knives on me, including a favorite Opinel folding knife with a wood handle, a little multitool with scissors, and a bigger leatherman-type with pliers (those are in my purse).

Plus I have a fearsome looking combat knife in the door of my car, with a neck lanyard I can wear if getting in/out in a dodgy neighborhood.

And we use knives to pry the caps off beer bottles. No more than the usual nervousness about our wedding day. :D

I always have a couple of knives on me, including a favorite Opinel folding knife with a wood handle, a little multitool with scissors, and a bigger leatherman-type with pliers (those are in my purse).

I also always carry two and often three knives... I have one I use as a money clip, one attached to my key ring and one on my pocket. I started carrying a pocket knife when I was about 10 (My grandfather gave me my first one) and feel lost without one.

As for texting, I definitely use it a lot, I like the ability to send off a quick note that can be read whenever and where ever the recipient is. It also allows you to send a quick message (EG: "saw 'this', thought of you.") when it would be inconvenient or inappropriate for a call. I do not think of them as impersonal, but more like quick comments/thoughts that lets the other person know you are thinking of them or conveying info. Using text/email has allowed me to stay in touch with people that I probably wouldn't have with out them.

I always have a couple of knives on me, including a favorite Opinel folding knife with a wood handle,
You are the only other person I have ever known who has one of these knives. I have had one for over 30 years. They are beautiful, easy to sharpen while holding a good edge, and very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbon-Steel-Folding-knife/dp/B000UGYWQM/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_1

My go everywhere(except on planes or to government buildings) is a Spyderco.

It also allows you to send a quick message (EG: "saw 'this', thought of you.") when it would be inconvenient or inappropriate for a call.

I could get into so much trouble with this feature. I should have passed this thread by. :)

Ha

Last edited:
You are the only other person I have ever known who has one of these knives. I have had one for over 30 years. They are beautiful, easy to sharpen while holding a good edge, and very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbon-Steel-Folding-knife/dp/B000UGYWQM/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_1

My go everywhere(except on planes or to government buildings) is a Spyderco.

Ha

My current Opinel is the Hermione edition (the oak handle is made from wood used in the building of the reproduction of the famous ship and was given to me by my favorite uncle.
Opinel No 8 Hermione (Oak wood from the Hermione Project), Hermione Frigate

My grandfather gave me my first Opinel and I have had one ever since. I carry my Swiss army knife everywhere.

I used it to cut the wedding cake, of course! :dance:

I always have a couple of knives on me,. :D

Just remember, never bring a knife to a gunfight.
coolsmiley.gif

I started carrying a pocket knife when I was about 10 (My grandfather gave me my first one) and feel lost without one.

One of those little pocket knives saved my sister, cousin and me from a pretty serious situation when I was about 12. We had gone to a horse show and were hitchhiking back (had to - no bus service near the place). A fellow in a convertible picked us up but, instead of taking the fork in the road leading to town, he branched off towards the bush and wouldn't stop when we told him to. He said he was "taking us to a little party".

I stuck my pocket knife against his jugular and told him I'd start cutting if he didn't stop the car right then and there. He did, we got out and had a long walk back to the main road. The police did nothing.

The little knife came in handy later on too: saw the same guy park the same car at another horse show. I used the knife to scratch "Pervert" and "Freak" all over his paint job in nice big letters.

On the way home from ice skating today I stopped for coffee at an internet cafe thingy. It is conveniently along the way. While sitting there sipping, I realized I was the only one without an electronic gizmo to focus on. Everyone else was glued to some laptop, notepad or palm sized whatever.

In came a 20 something guy with a lovely lass. They got their frappe whatever, sat at a table and whipped out their electronic palm sized communicators. They both were tippy tapping furiously on the screens of their communicators. They did not speak to each other at all. Well not with spoken words.

As I was ready to go home by now, walked past them and asked, are you two texting to each other?

Did not wait for an answer, just kept walking.

As for the OP, texting is better than giving one last minute joyride to the best man before the ceremony. There was a video of such on joytube a while back.

I remember observing four expats seated together at a Bangkok restaurant- they all four were yaking away on their cell phones.

Why bother getting together?

One of those little pocket knives saved my sister, cousin and me from a pretty serious situation when I was about 12. We had gone to a horse show and were hitchhiking back (had to - no bus service near the place). A fellow in a convertible picked us up but, instead of taking the fork in the road leading to town, he branched off towards the bush and wouldn't stop when we told him to. He said he was "taking us to a little party".

I stuck my pocket knife against his jugular and told him I'd start cutting if he didn't stop the car right then and there. He did, we got out and had a long walk back to the main road. The police did nothing.

The little knife came in handy later on too: saw the same guy park the same car at another horse show. I used the knife to scratch "Pervert" and "Freak" all over his paint job in nice big letters.

Good going gal!!!

With all that metal in your purse you wouldn't have to waste time trying to draw a knife in an emergency, just hit the assailant with it.

Great story Nuiloa :)

We don't text much, I'm useless at it :facepalm:

Our local government just passed a law today that makes texting while driving a primary offense rather than a summary offense which required the police to pull you over for something else first before they could nail you for the texting. Now they can just pull you over if they see you composing the text or reading a text message. The charge will be $50.00. If they were really serious about curtailing it I think they should have made it a $100. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

I guess my question about the
Primary offense is how can you tell someone is actually texting? I have an iPod and I play songs and podcasts that I change while driving, just like someone fiddling with radio stations. Or I might be
looking at the phone to make a call. These actions aren't illegal, after all.
Just curious how that is going to work in real world.

Teens have some of driving's highest accident records, and our daughter is terrified to touch her cell phone while driving. So the deterrent effect is perhaps more significant than the enforcement.

But this is a driver who won't start the car until she finishes her ice cream cone. She isn't even interested in learning how to use cruise control, let alone drive with her knees...

I guess my question about the
Primary offense is how can you tell someone is actually texting? I have an iPod and I play songs and podcasts that I change while driving, just like someone fiddling with radio stations. Or I might be
looking at the phone to make a call. These actions aren't illegal, after all.
That would depend on how the law is written. One of the 'burbs here has an ordinance that is modeled after those of other jurisidictions across the country. The media reports it this way:
The XXX City ordinance bans the use of wireless communications devices to view, send or compose an electronic message or manually engage other application software while operating a motor vehicle upon any roadway in the city, including when stopped or standing."
But the actual ordinance reads thus:
Sec. 58-138. - Use of wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle.
(a) Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them:
(1) Electronic message means a self-contained piece of digital communication that is designed or intended to be transmitted to or from a wireless communication device. An electronic message includes, but is not limited to, a text-based communication, such as electronic mail, a text message, or an instant message, or a command or request to access an internet site.
(2) Operate means to drive or be in physical control of a motor vehicle.
(3) Operator means a person who drives or has physical control of a motor vehicle.
(4) Wireless communication device means a device that uses a commercial mobile service, as defined by 47 U.S.C. § 332.
(b) Offense. It shall be unlawful for an operator of a motor vehicle to use a wireless communication device to view, send or compose an electronic message or manually engage other application software while operating a motor vehicle upon any roadway in the city, including when stopped or standing.
(c) Affirmative defenses. It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of conduct prohibited by subsection (b) if:
(1) An operator of a motor vehicle uses a wireless communication device strictly to engage in a telephone conversation, including dialing or deactivating a phone call;
(2) An operator of an authorized government vehicle uses a wireless communication device to respond to an emergency while acting in an official capacity while operating an authorized government vehicle;
(3) An operator of a motor vehicle uses a wireless communication device while stopped or standing at a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of a roadway where parking, standing or stopping in a nonemergency situation is not otherwise prohibited; or
(4) An operator of a motor vehicle uses a wireless communication device to:
a. Operate only a global positioning or navigation system;
b. Obtain emergency assistance by contacting an emergency response service, including a rescue, emergency medical, or hazardous material response service; a hospital; a fire department; a health clinic; a medical doctor's office; an individual to administer first aid treatment; or a police department;
c. Obtain emergency assistance to prevent a crime about to be committed;
d. Report a traffic accident or serious traffic hazard; or
e. Communicate with the reasonable belief that a person's life, safety, or property is in immediate danger.
(d) Conflicting regulations. To the extent that any clause, phrase, provision, sentence or part of this section conflicts with V.T.C.A., Transportation Code § 545.424, regarding the use of wireless communication devices while operating a motor vehicle by minors; or V.T.C.A., Transportation Code § 545.425, regarding the use of wireless communication devices in school crossing zones, this section does not apply
This ordinance is based on a model ordinance that someone drew up, and the same, or very similar law, is in effect in a lot of places across the country. In some places they add that the term Electronic message does not mean a telephone call. IMO that means making a telephone call is an exemption to prosecution, and the burden is on the state to prove you were not making a call. This particular ordinance does not make that distinction/exemption, but I'm certain that it is not intended to include calls, nor would it be used that way. However, it does provide only for an affirmative defense on making calls. That means that the defendant has to claim it, and prove it, in order to take advantage of it.

I would imagine a typical enforcement activity might include an officer observing what looked like texting, and in his investigation asking, "What were you doing with your phone?"

If you claimed "making a call", and the officer felt that was not the case, I think it would be reasonable to ask to see the proof. You do have a Constitutional right to deny that, in which case his choice would be to either give you a verbal warning, or write a citation and let the judge or jury decide who they believe. Of course since making a call is only an affirmative defense, the officer does not have to do anything other than charge you with the offense, although many will use their common sense and let you slide if they conclude that you would have a good shot of swaying the jury on the affirmative defense.

The state only has to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt, not to a certainty and not to exclusion of any doubt. And, at least in Texas, the state does not have to negate the existence of the affirmative defense in charging you. In other words, if you want to claim you are innocent because you were making a call, checking your GPS, or whatever, you will have to introduce the defense at trial, and prove it by a preponderance of evidence. That is a greater burden on the defendant than a regular defense allowed under the law. If calling was a defense (as opposed to an affirmative defense), then you would just have to raise enough reasonable doubt on the calling issue for a jury following its instructions to find not guilty.

If it were me I would come to court with a certified copy of my cell phone detailed billing to prove I wasn't texting or using an app at the time of the offense.

Last edited:
As Leonidas points out, there are a lot of gray areas in these laws. One of them is that many, if not most of them, have been written in such a way as to provide a loophole for two-way radio communication. Amateur radio operators (hams) have been happily chatting away on VHF and UHF radios for decades, in much the same way as LEOs and many delivery drivers (who do it as part of their job).

I seem to remember a very sticky situation a few years ago somewhere in the northeast (maybe New Jersey?) where a law was written on this topic and it failed to give hams an out. The local amateur community raised such a ruckus that it was sent back to the legislature for fine tuning and finally fixed the problem.

The scariest view, is looking in the rear view mirror after stopping at a red light, and seeing a young thing putting on eye shadow while driving with her knees.

How about talking on a cell phone, eating breakfast and putting on eye shadow? I thought I was seeing things.

Gees. Am I the only one without a decent knife??

Back
Top Bottom