Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, it will just be DH and I, but I am making a large meal and will take servings over to DS and DD houses.
I already bought ingredients a few weeks ago, just a change in gathering plans.

Menu:
12 lb turkey
Sage and apple Dressing
Sweet potatoe
Mashed potatoe
Gravy
Apple salad
Pumpkin and Pecan pie
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My best holiday memories were Thanksgiving night.

My grandmother would make four big pans of yeast rolls cooked in butter, and we'd stuff rolls with the leftover turkey and ham .

My cousin and I would embarrass ourselves putting down so many rolls. And I still use her roll recipe that I make on holidays.
YUM! My Grandmas yeast rolls were the best, also!
Old 11-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #23

We're still debating whether to simply cook a chicken & mashed potatoes, or make some beef stew in the 8 quart crock pot. An advantage of the stew is that it makes the whole house smell good for most of the day. And two gallons of beef stew will last us for a very long time.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just the 2 of us this year also.
I have no idea what the wife is dreaming up but know it will be good.
Usually meet at my sisters with up to 35 people (yeah it's a lot but I have 5 brothers and sister, married, all with several kids) and have to cook (2) 25-30 lb turkeys.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #25

Heritage breed, pasture raised turkey from a local farm. Just a 12 pounder and will be smoked/cooked on the rotisserie in the Big Green Egg. The other thing I always look forward to is DW's pumpkin pie; there is simply none better. Most likely supplemented with a pint of Graeter's ice cream, the best in the world.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
Administrator

I had planned to cook dinner for friends we've been bubbled with (weird new verb) and host at my house but with our rew regs this is no longer allowed. I can live with that BUT I have already purchased 2 14 lb turkeys (frozen). That seems like a lot of turkey but traditionally we have cooked both of them and everyone takes substantial leftovers home. They make soup, pot pies, sandwiches, etc.

I was super organized this year and layed in the birds, a bag of sweet potatoes and the stuffing ingredients early... sigh. On the bright side I also purchased some especially nice wines to go with... more for me
Old 11-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Been cooking for 2 for years now. Turkey breast, smoked in the egg with mashed potatoes & gravy, veggie of choice, done. Followed by hot turkey sammies and my fav turkey & bacon clubs for the days after.

Easy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

These great plans are starting to make me hungry.

Dressing is a particiular favorite of mine for holidays.

Cooked in the bird, then overflow in casserole dish.

How do you do it?
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
For two people, I've just got two words:

Cracker Barrel

Recipes from where I grew up that tastes exactly like what my grandmother cooked. We eat "dressing" in the south--never stuffing.
and don't forget the dirty rice!
Old 11-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We’ve ordered 2# smoked turkey breast, 1 qt mashed potatoes, 1 qt broccoli casserole and 1 pt cranberry-apple compote from a fav BBQ restaurant nearby. DW will make a dessert, I’ll chill & pour champagne. A sad year, but giving thanks anyway, next year will be much better!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #31

It will be just two, or perhaps 3, of us. Thinking of trying a Marcella Hazan recipe of a whole, boned chicken with a beef and parmesan stuffing.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

We are going to DD's house as she is cooking a 14 lb bird. Her MIL will join us. I am bringing pumpkin pie. Easy this year!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #33

Oh, the order! We got a whole turkey, cornbread stuffing, sweet glazed carrots, green beans, bacon mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, extra gravy, and bread pudding with Grand Marnier sauce! :-9
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone tried a turkey in an instant pot (pressure cooked or air fried)? Got 12 pounder. Not sure if it will even fit.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It's a work in progress for us.

We have done T-Day (and Christmas, and Easter, and a bunch of other holidays/birthdays) for DW's side of the family for many years now ( ~ 20 people). Planned on cutting that down this year to just us and the kids, their spouses, and g-kids. DD has a 3 year old and a 3 week old, so she offered to have it so they don't need to pack up everything and drive both ways.

So we will figure out what we can cook ahead and bring and what she can/wants to make. Her hubby likes to smoke stuff, so this might work out well.

Our son and his wife and kid (our g-kid) will probably go to her folks, since this is all in opposite directions. Our other DD is the COVID floor nurse, so she might stay isolated form us even if she has the day off. She's nearby to the party, so she might stop by and stay outside so we can at least say "Hi!".

It's all kind of weird, but we will manage, it'll be OK.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm staying in. Only "traveling and gathering" I'd do is via Zoom.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Not worth the risk of either infecting someone or getting infected myself. In other words, live to celebrate holidays another day.

Got a turkey drumstick waiting for me in the freezer .
Old 11-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #37

If I can find some Alaskan King Crab, that's what I'm having this year. It'll make me feel good that I won't have to share, taking the sting out of sheltering in place.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Anyone tried a turkey in an instant pot (pressure cooked or air fried)? Got 12 pounder. Not sure if it will even fit.
Doesn’t sound like it would fit properly to me.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Gardein Stuffed Tur'ky with gravy, acorn squash with lots of butter (no vegans here), mixed green salad, homemade key lime pie with whipped cream. The traditional Thanksgiving dessert in my family is Indian pudding - cornmeal, molasses, butter & spices cooked with whole milk. But it's just we two, and we haven't had a homemade key lime pie in years.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s just me and the cat, but I’m not sad about it. Quite the contrary, I’m looking forward to a few days off. Normally if I’m by myself and not invited elsewhere on Thanksgiving (wouldn’t go this year even if I had been invited), I just eat normal everyday food. But for some reason, I’m feeling nostalgic for the traditional T-giving spread.

Because I don’t have the interest in cooking a giant meal for one, I ordered a turkey breast meal from one of the two grocery chains in the area. I chose the chain that is higher end and has good prepared food. I got the turkey breast meal; it comes with your choice of sides, rolls, and gravy. I got the mashed potatoes and dressing. It comes with a pound and a half of turkey and supposedly serves four so I thought I could pig out and still have enough for leftovers for a meal or two.
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote