Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im cooking a miniature traditional Thanksgiving meal, and will freeze part of it. Its one of our favorite meals.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I ordered our dinner for 2 from an upscale deli in the neighborhood last week. Today we went to Costco only to find Thanksgiving dinners at a fraction of the price. Ah well, I supported a local restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Complete dinners from a local restaurant (curbside pickup) this year. No need to make 2020 any more complex than it’s already been!

I keep thinking about Bing Crosby’s Thanksgiving dinner in the movie Holiday Inn!
Same here! Well, from a local sports bar, in our case, instead of a deli or restaurant. Here's what I posted about it on another thread. Should have posted on this thread, but oh well, for me perfect posting is an amazingly slippery and elusive goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We determined that a nearby sports bar is serving food from its usual menu on Thanksgiving, so we are tentatively thinking of getting food to go for just the two of us, from there, to eat at home. Probably shrimp tacos, gumbo, or a club sandwich. Their shrimp tacos and gumbo are "to die for", but also I never had a club sandwich that I didn't like. Anyway, something like that. Not the traditional Thanksgiving feast, no turkey or pumpkin pie, but we can do that another year when everyone can get together.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #63

Seems like this thread should be folded into the Thanksgiving For 2 thread. No?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #64

Missed that one. Merge away!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Missed that one. Merge away!
I forgot about it as well. The two threads are now merged.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I am cooking a HUGE turkey (lots of leftovers for the freezer and great stock too). Plus steamed broccoli, either acorn squash or sweet potato with a gingerbread crumble, possible some corn with dill, cranberries, and a made from scratch pie. But I may make the pie and the sweet potato on Wednesday to make Thursday a relaxing day and to end the day with the house cleaner than when I started.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Cornish hensthe saddest turkey ever! But we are stuffing w Boudin having Gumbo, corn macque choux and pecan pie.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Well have an all vegan meal with a small piece of turkey for DH and DIL. I made the stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy today. Tomorrow will prep mushroom Wellington, Brussels sprouts, potatoes. DS is making bread and pumpkin pie. Well eat outside on the patio (S. Texas) with toddler grandson. Same family members we are with almost daily. Goal is no leftovers. Quite a change from last years repast of 35 extended family and friends.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Hmm, I'm skipping the apples in my stuffing this year but love the thought of "apple salad". Would you care to share the recipe?
(Its my take on traditional Waldorf Salad)
I use whatever sounds good, or what I have on hand.

Chopped apples- I like crisp, more sweet/tart so use honey crisp, or Ice Apples (I can only get at a local garden center here in Nov/Dec-- they are basically fuji apples left on the tree until frost--makes them very sweet and crisp)

chopped celery

grapes (or raisins, have used dried cranberries too--prefer grapes)

chopped pecans or walnuts, (have used unsalted macadamia nuts also)

mini marshmallows (leave out if just DH and I, add if kids/grands are here)

bottled poppyseed dressing is easiest or I will make a mix of mayo, lemon juice, a bit of sugar or honey)
Mix and serve.

Simple to make.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #70

its been just us for the last 6-7 yrs now. we keep it simple. we get a half, cooked breast from the deli, baked potstoes, veggies, jellied cranberries and rolls. we split a piece of peach pie from the bakery. my BIL will be in from CA for Christmas.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #71

We had planned to have us plus my parents, my sis and her husband and two of their kids over. Dad got sick on Sunday...doesnt seem like Covid, but were postponing for a while. Meanwhile, I put a brisket on the smoker tonight, as I do every few months. Ill wrap it around 10-11 pm and finish it inside in the oven and rest it in the ice chest all day. We already have dinner for tomorrow, so the brisket will be sliced and vacuum sealed in single meals, and well freeze it (all but enough for Thursday). Well have some for dinner on Thursday with some green beans, salad, and pumpkin pie. Neither of us like turkey, and weve put our normal fare (ham) in the freezer until dad feels better.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #72

We're going all out this year. I've basically been hibernating this year because it's been so terrible. But we are going to go full out this year, for three of us -- DW and me, plus her dad who lives with us downstairs. We have a 15 pound turkey, and we are even going to make our own whipped cream with *heavy* whipped cream (sorry, Doc). And on Friday, we are going to start doing Christmas like we haven't done in a long time. We need something to make us feel almost normal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We're going all out this year. I've basically been hibernating this year because it's been so terrible. But we are going to go full out this year, for three of us -- DW and me, plus her dad who lives with us downstairs. We have a 15 pound turkey, and we are even going to make our own whipped cream with *heavy* whipped cream (sorry, Doc). And on Friday, we are going to start doing Christmas like we haven't done in a long time. We need something to make us feel almost normal.
Good to see you posting again, Ziggy! It's been such a tough, terrible year for everyone and I'm glad to see you back here again.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Good to see you posting again, Ziggy! It's been such a tough, terrible year for everyone and I'm glad to see you back here again.
Thanks. I've had a lot of stuff going on. Not only the usual 2020 fatigue, let alone wanting to avoid all the online politics, but also, as many of you know, DW is the pastor of our church. I have been so buried in church IT and audio-visual projects that it made my head spin. I had to lead our move to livestreaming worship services, AND recommending build-out of a permanent solution. And then, yeah, configuring all the equipment and software and all the testing. Seriously, "w*rking" for pay was less taxing than this. But last month I think we finally nailed it all down and got to a place where we are in good shape. But then I had to start "producing" for Advent and Christmas services. I've learned more about A/V equipment and using audio mixers than I ever thought I would!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Thanks. I've had a lot of stuff going on. Not only the usual 2020 fatigue, let alone wanting to avoid all the online politics, but also, as many of you know, DW is the pastor of our church. I have been so buried in church IT and audio-visual projects that it made my head spin. I had to lead our move to livestreaming worship services, AND recommending build-out of a permanent solution. And then, yeah, configuring all the equipment and software and all the testing. Seriously, "w*rking" for pay was less taxing than this. But last month I think we finally nailed it all down and got to a place where we are in good shape. But then I had to start "producing" for Advent and Christmas.
Eek, makes me tired just reading about it! Glad you are making some headway in the project though. Advent and Christmas will be behind us soon, but then of course there's Palm Sunday and Easter.... You have a lot of responsibilities on your plate, that's for sure.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #76

Quote:
Eek, makes me tired just reading about it! Glad you are making some headway in the project though. Advent and Christmas will be behind us soon, but then of course there's Palm Sunday and Easter.... You have a lot of responsibilities on your plate, that's for sure.
Yeah -- but with each "production" we learn lessons that make the next one a little easier. At least that's what I'm telling myself!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going to do the traditional dinner for a small group but just 3 of us will eat together. We will box up dinner for some other family members and deliver them (meet them at the door and leave.) Did the same thing at Easter and everyone really seemed to appreciate it. You get a few minutes to say hi and visit without going in and lingering too long.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

No changes for our multiple family Thanksgiving get togethers around here. Life is to short to live in a false fear.
schellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Darwin rides again...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to my nephew's hunting camp in AL for Thanksgiving. Our family of 6 gets together there so he can go hunting. Really a pretty setting near a lot of old southern homes. (Think Forest Gump). Should be pretty safe as we plan to eat on the back porch with everyone scattered out. I'll be wearing my mask except when I'm stuffing my face. Only staying for the afternoon.