Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Thanksgiving is simple for me:

My house
My menu
My favorite dessert
Shut up and eat!
What about Packers vs Lions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be not be with any family, for probably the first time (I can't remember if I was with family or not when I was 18) on Thanksgiving. DH is visiting with DD and her family in CA. DD's birthday is on the 23 and she wanted us to come visit them. I am planning on going to the Salvation Army and volunteering. I called them and they said to be there at 10:00 am. I had 5 different invites to go to other relatives' homes for Thanksgiving, but it just did not feel right, since DH is not here.

When my DD and her family moved to CA, we arrived in San Diego the day before Thanksgiving. They were staying in a furnished apt, until they could buy their house. Boxes were everywhere and it was quite a mess. The hotel across the street had a church group that had fixed Thanksgiving dinner for anyone who did not have a place to eat. They had posted signs in the apts where we were staying, since there were a lot of single military guys living there. My DH and SIL said they were going to go eat dinner there. I could see quite a few homeless looking types milling around waiting for the doors to open. I kept saying that I was not going to go eat there. I finally agreed to go and it was quite nice. There were tablecloths on the tables, flowers and "real plates and silverware". I was expecting paper products and was embarrassed that I was going to eat there. Remember, that I grew up very poor for part of my childhood, and never wanted to go back to feeling that way again. The people were very nice and we ate and then DH and I volunteered to help in any way we could. We cleaned up tables, waitressed for people that needed help, talked to people and generally enjoyed ourselves. It turned out to be such a good experience. I am hoping that volunteering at the Salvation Army will be another good experience.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Will be alone as usual: Turkey leg quarter(custom cut) wild rice, asparagus, champagne.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #44

Will be joining my brother and his family and some friends and it is always a good time.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
We'll be enjoying a great meal out here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We will certainly be eating Thai food, but will be taking time to reflect on a great last year and all that we have to be thankful for in our lives.
warrentalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the perks of my job is that the program I work on hosts a Thanksgiving dinner for our grantees the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, and our whole family is invited. So I get a great Thanksgiving spread without lifting a finger. And then I get the next day off (while the kids have to go to school) to relax. It is actually one of my favorite holidays because I don't get a day all to myself very often.

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #47

I will help feed the homeless with the Salvation Army this year. I will bring a few pies to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just wondering how folks are planning their Thanksgiving meals this year.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanksgiving has been erratic for me in my lifetime. As a kid and later in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s it was good. After I moved out of my parents' house, I was still close by and loved the smell of the turkey cooking in the oven when I first entered the small house. I would yell out, "I smell BIRD!" She was great at preparing the meal. Some years, we had more relatives over (maybe 10 people in all), other years we had it on the Friday because my mom ran in some half-marathons the day before Thanksgiving so she needed to rest up. Then she gave me a ton of her terrific turkey soup to take home along with some leftovers. Her birthday was November 27th so we also had a birthday party for her that weekend, sometimes on Thanksgiving itself. It was a fun time.

But after she died in October, 1995, Thanksgiving took a big downturn. Besides losing her, her birthday party, the meal, the turkey soup, and the leftovers, the following year my dad and I made the 4-hour trip to my brother's place where he and his wife lived. It went very badly for me and I did not go back there for 7 more years. I eventually returned and it has gone reasonably well. Not as good as before, but well enough to keep going. Since 2005 my ladyfriend has joined us for the weekend trip which has helped. The gathering is small, sometimes a few of my SIL's relatives joins us, sometimes not. Her pleasant mom always joins us, her dad is deceased, they have a young son, now 7, who joins us. I give the food a B+ which is good but not great. No turkey soup, either.

Good to get out of New York for a few days but good to get out of there a few days later, too. Then my ladyfriend and I have our own Thanksgiving dinner a week later. She makes turkey soup which is very good but not like my mom's ace soup. Still rates an A-minus along with the A-rated meal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #49

My daughter and her Brazilian husband invited me to their place for Thanksgiving this year. It will be quite an international Thanksgiving. I believe there will be about 10 people invited from several different countries.

This will be my daughter's first experience with a turkey and the trimmings. Seems like a girl's first turkey is a rite of passage into adulthood. Oh...my daughter is a vegan too!!
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

For those of us thinking about deep frying a turkey, here is a very good safety video starring William Shatner. Please pass it along to anyone you know who might benefit from it.

Deep Fried Safety with William Shatner | Yahoo TV - Yahoo! TV
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #51

Where's the Turkey?
Veggie thanksgiving

Wild rice stuffed mushrooms
Roasted vegetables
Scalloped potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Cranberry sauce
Stuffing
Rolls
Pumpkin cheesecake

at a neighbors home.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #52

Thanksgiving dinner will be at my sister's, with two of her husband's adult kids coming in from of NYC and Atlanta. It's kosher with vegetarian options. So no dairy products since it's a meal with meat. We're bringing mashed potatoes so we make it without milk or cream (kosher) or chicken broth (vegetarian). We're also bringing 2 or 3 pies which I will purchase.

It will be a smaller gathering than previous years since our Mom died and Dad is still in rehab in the nursing home. We will pack up goodies and take them to Dad. He doesn't care about kosher or vegetarian, he'll eat anything!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were supposed to cook, but our kitchen is still in the process of being renovated. We will be taking the kids, my parents, and a friend of the family out for Dosa (south indian food) and then having football/appetizers back at our place.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Will be alone as usual: Turkey leg quarter(custom cut) wild rice, asparagus, champagne.
Just remember, "alone" does not mean lonely (at least in my case, it dosen't).

Regardless, have another glass of champagne, for me ...

I've never been "into" any holiday's (including birthdays) so for me, it's just another day I have to "suffer" with relatives (DW's) that I'd rather not see.

It's a very depressing time of the year, in my case (it's a long story - not fit for a public forum).

Take care...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

My granddaughter(8) and I are going to serve Thanksgiving dinner at a local school that will be set up for those with no family or who are unable to provide the meal for their own family. After that we'll go home and try a totally new meal for Thanksgiving. Grill steaks with salad and scolloped potatoes....mmmmm
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #56

DW and I travel to "the city by the bay" each year to celebrate with good friends. Always crab served there at Thxgiving.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #57

Thanksgiving dinner is all set for this "bah humbug" guy. For various reasons, this year will not be our normal Thanksgiving. Everything has fallen apart with the family, first time in 39 years. DW and I were trying to find a place to go out and have a dinner and found it at Ruby Tuesdays. One of my favorite places but didn't know they would be open on Thanksgiving day. Called and they said it was just another day to them. Sign us up. I love their salad bar. On top of that we have a coupon for buy-one-get one. Can you beat that? Perfect for two old retirees who are always looking for a deal. Not really "bah humbug".

Here's wishing all the forum members a Happy Thanksgiving.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhhh...for this year I'm thinking chocolate and wine.

With the events of late, I'm not in the mood to cook. We have a friend ask us to come to her house for dinner, but we declined. Just not ready for a crowd don't ya know.

She told us she would bring some food to our home. I said that was fine as long as she would just slip it under the door.... Ahhhh, but seriously, I appreciate her thinking of us. She's a great cook and I'm sure she'll bring us all kinds of yummies.

...and there's always chocolate and wine.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.....
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not overly fond of domestic turkey and have a feeling I'm going to be sick of it in a couple of weeks. The cook was able to procure a 20 pound bird for $3.74 total. Something about ad matching....

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to warrentalbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ahhhhh...for this year I'm thinking chocolate and wine.
This sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving. Spending time with the person you love most sounds like the perfect holiday and opportunity to regroup from a stressful time. I am convinced that chocolate and wine could be used to solve all the world's problems, or at least make you smile for awhile.

Happy Turkey Day.
warrentalbot is offline   Reply With Quote