Thanksgiving side dishes by region

I like my mashed potatoes with lumps. Also unpeeled especially if the potatoes are Yukon Golds.

+1

I use a funky looking "masher" that DBIL gave me long ago - it looks sort of like a plastic washing machine agitator with a handle. You put it in the pot of drained cooked potatoes with butter and a little milk and just turn it from side to side. Hard to describe but it makes potatoes just the way I like them.

I like my mashed potatoes with lumps. Also unpeeled especially if the potatoes are Yukon Golds.

My mother would probably keel over dead if we ever intentionally made mashed potatoes with lumps and skins (she is a hard-core whipped potato fan) but Yukon Gold is an absolute requirement. We've never had any other kind...EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Here at our home in Texas, in addition to fried turkey we have smoked brisket. Brisket along with traditional holiday meals isn't all that unique around here. Half the family is vegan, so all side dishes are too. This includes sausage cornbread stuffing, smashed white potatoes, roasted vegetables rolls and lots of gravy. The omnivores can't tell the difference since there are so many plant based meat alternatives available these days. It is possible lots of homemade beer and Texas red wine might help with the omnivores' enjoyment of the sides😏

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For the past 35 years I've had 2 Thanksgiving meals although not always on same day, it depended on everyone's schedule. One "Rebel or Dixie" meal with DW's family and a "Yankee" dinner with mine.

The Rebel meal had cornbread dressing, GB casserole, and both pumpkin and pecan pies.

The Yankee meal had sausage stuffing, broccoli casserole and only pumpkin pie.

DW and I have a new tradition days after the feast: Homemade apple/hickory smoked bacon, leftover turkey, and lettuce sandwiches, washed down with my newest chardonnay. There oughtta be a law.....it's obscene.

Well since I am from outside of Philly, but my wife is from Newcastle UK I kinda get a mixed Thanksgiving and Christmas meals as they are normally served for several friends, and I am the only Yankee at the table. :)
My wife normally makes 2 Turkey Crowns (just the nice white breast meat) but this year we couldn't get them in KSA so she actually got 2 whole turkeys and cooked and stripped em! :) Got loads of white and dark meat and also she boiled up the bones for a great stew that lasted several days! :)
Sides were:
mashed potatoes
roasted potatoes (nice and crispy outside)
brussel sprouts and chestnuts
2 types of stuffing (some British boxed version, not as good as Stove Top but I take what I can get!)
cranberries made from real ones for everyone else and a canned jelly for me! :)
sweet potatoes
roasted carrots and parsnips
gravy
apple pie, carrot cake and a raspberry meringue roulade
It works out good cause she like to cook, and I LOVE to eat! :)

People cook so much better now. Growing up it wasn't Thanksgiving without this menu (most dishes served only on Thanksgiving): sweet potatoes slid right out of the can into a baking dish and heated up with a dab of margarine and brown sugar sprinkled on top (we were too poor for marshmallows--fortunately)--so awful in terms of taste, texture, and presentation.

Sounds like DH's family. about 10 years ago we actually got *most* of the family together (he's one of 6 kids) and all but 1 of the grandkids together at MIL's house. So it was a shared menu/cooking event. I got strong pushback when I wanted to make cranberry sauce from berries - they wanted to see the ribs from the can... We ended up serving both and the folks of my husband's generation went for the canned cranberries. Same with the potatoes... They wanted potato buds instant... Even though I make a killer garlic mashed potato dish. That one my potatoes actually won out. (Side by side comparison shows potato buds for what they are - GROSS).

Do folks have mashed potatoes (with a masher) or whipped potatoes (with a mixer). I prefer whipped because of the smoothness but many people prefer mashed.

I use a mixer - but leave some lumps in. Lots of diced garlic that was cooked in melted butter while the potatoes boiled, usually some milk or cream, and some grated parmigiana. This year I reduced the milk and parm, and added some goat cheese... It was beyond yummy.

Interesting. We fit the Midwest with rolls, but also go with the green bean casserole. I like the Southeast with the mac and cheese though.

Mmmm. LOVE the green bean casserole!

I use a mixer - but leave some lumps in. Lots of diced garlic that was cooked in melted butter while the potatoes boiled, usually some milk or cream, and some grated parmigiana. This year I reduced the milk and parm, and added some goat cheese... It was beyond yummy.

If you could put amounts down so that I have a complete recipe, I would be most appreciative. That sounds divine.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You know, I made such a good squash side this year--a gratin--that I am going to make it year round. So easy, too--carmelized butternut squash and onions, fresh rosemary, croutons, sharp white cheddar cheese. Reheated with left over turkey for several lunches and was great! I felt inspired to look up the health benefits of butternut squash and found it is quite healthy.

For those who balk at peeling a butternut squash just pop the whole thing in the microwave for three minutes and the peel comes off easily. Better yet buy it precut at Trader Joes with an eye popping markup price.

Back
Top Bottom