Join Early Retirement Today

"That's not leather, that's vinyl." What is with some people?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"That's not leather, that's vinyl." What is with some people?

Today we had to get our (clean) basement carpet cleaned, per the warranty requirements.

We have a leather-covered sectional/sleeper. After shifting this item for cleaning, the cleaner decided it wasn't leather after all, but vinyl. And he so informed us, in the most definite way imaginable. "I have that same material on my boat."

Not only was he wrong (unless vinyl smells exactly like leather), but...what purpose did this pronouncement serve? As nearly as we can tell, he didn't damage the covering, so why pretend it is made of something cheaper than it is?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pet peeve of the day:

Have you shopped for a purse recently at mid-market stores? I'm trying to replace a leather bag for someone. Real leather, probably purchased at Macy's or the like 20 years ago. I went through the entire purse departments at Kohl's and Penney's. Not one purse was marked with the material composition. And not one was leather. All were vinyl made to look like leather. I will try Macy's mid-week, but I am not hopeful.

This is part of a larger trend. The US used to get all the quality merchandise. It's going somewhere else now. We have been demoted on the consumption scale. At least we can still buy leather shoes...for now.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

They might want to appear interesting for the growing number of vegans.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

In our case, the furniture IS made of leather.

So the question is not "why aren't more things made of leather these days" (answer: they are; they just cost more) but "Why would a carpet cleaner feel called upon to comment on our furniture, especially given he was wrong"?

Never mind. I guess the cleaner falls in the same category as the fellow-tour-travelers in my other post, who just had to ask us impertinent personal questions. It was because they felt like it, and people nowadays do what they feel like, even when it's rude.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #5

My guess is that he wanted to impress you by showing off his "knowledge" of fabrics.

My second guess is that he failed.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have a RV with a huge "leather" couch. The leather is actually a veneer glued onto a cloth backing, and it's starting to peel. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled to have to purchase new furniture, but the replacement will be "naugahyde".

The auto industry has been charging us for leather seats for many years, however it's often just a few pieces of the seating that's actually leather. The rest is Naugahyde.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have a RV with a huge "leather" couch. The leather is actually a veneer glued onto a cloth backing, and it's starting to peel. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled to have to purchase new furniture, but the replacement will be "naugahyde".

The auto industry has been charging us for leather seats for many years, however it's often just a few pieces of the seating that's actually leather. The rest is Naugahyde.
I hope you realize you are risking the ire of all those folks from PETA. Don't expect them to stand by idly while more Nauga die just so you can have new furniture for your RV.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Corinthian leather is the way to go.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #9

My point is that lots of people are buying products they think are leather that are not. While Amethyst is better educated on the subject and more discerning than most people, there are plenty of people that are not. This guy's comment is probably true in other cases, just not in this one.

Leather handbags were sold everywhere until ten or fifteen years ago. Then Target and the other mass merchandisers started selling bonded leather bags, which was a thin veneer of leather glued to fabric. It appeared in low end office chairs and other low end furniture. The stuff did not wear well and consumers did not like that.

Now we have vinyl, which has been engineered to look and feel like leather. No more leather seats in your Lexus, unless you buy the upgrade. No more leather bags unless you want to pay over $100.

I guess the Chinese upper classes that are beating us economically are consuming all the world's leather and selling us the vinyl junk. It's just one of many areas our consumer economy is shifting downward on the world scale.

I would be very cautious today buying any leather furniture. Fifty years ago, if you bought high quality leather furniture, it might still be around. Nothing you buy today is that level of quality, but you will pay the high price anyway.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We just had some remodeling done and omg the comments we heard from the delivery people, a couple of the tradesmen, the installers. Who asked them to weigh in on the unusual floor plan, the advanced age of the house, why we don’t just move, the paint color, etc., etc.? I don’t know if they were just trying to make conversation or to show off their superior knowledge.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #11

There are many varieties of processed animal hide that can still be legally called leather. Today, many automotive leather seats and furniture are actually some form of those leathers with a plastic coating. (PVC aka Vinyl). Surprised? I was.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In our case, the furniture IS made of leather.

So the question is not "why aren't more things made of leather these days" (answer: they are; they just cost more) but "Why would a carpet cleaner feel called upon to comment on our furniture, especially given he was wrong"?
Maybe he was trying to determine if he needed to protect your furniture in a different way while cleaning your carpet.

Maybe your furniture is Bonded Leather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
what purpose did this pronouncement serve?
Some people are poopy. They like to elevate themselves via knocking others down. Maybe not even intentionally, maybe this twit really did think it was vinyl. But even if...who cares? Who does that? Who tells a near stranger (or a client!) that something they own isn't as good as they think? Why? You and I ask because we don't think that way.. but others do:

You know the type: You show up to dinner in your favorite new outfit, and they point out a stray thread. You get a new car, and they cite some criticism off consumer reports for the model you've picked. You're planning a trip to Europe, they remind you of a recent violent incident there.

Must be a sad way to go through life, always zero'd in on something negative.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We just had some remodeling done and omg the comments we heard from the delivery people, a couple of the tradesmen, the installers. Who asked them to weigh in on the unusual floor plan, the advanced age of the house, why we don’t just move, the paint color, etc., etc.? I don’t know if they were just trying to make conversation or to show off their superior knowledge.
Wow! That's crazy. And disappointing

I've never gotten that kind of snarkiness from anybody I'm paying to work on the house or make a delivery. House is 40 years old with original cabinets, so we qualify for some "feedback."
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Maybe he was trying to determine if he needed to protect your furniture in a different way while cleaning your carpet.

Maybe your furniture is Bonded Leather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather
That's my guess. Vinyl might not mind a little moisture wicking in from the carpet, nor would it mildew as easily. Leather is a different animal (<-- see what I did there ).

Perhaps the tradesman is simply a competent tradesman and making comments to reflect what's on his mind - being awesome at his job and not destroying the client's property.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Try good consignment stores for gently used leather purses. Or pay big bucks.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If he'd been right, I would have agreed with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

Perhaps the tradesman is simply a competent tradesman and making comments to reflect what's on his mind - being awesome at his job and not destroying the client's property.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure it's bicast leather - we wouldn't have spent the $$ for full-hide furniture nine years ago. Bicast is split leather that has a vinyl sealer/strengthener on it, although it's interesting that after nine years, it still smells like leather. Not strongly, but a good leather scent nonetheless. No smell of plastic/vinyl at all.

Interesting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow! That's crazy. And disappointing

I've never gotten that kind of snarkiness from anybody I'm paying to work on the house or make a delivery. House is 40 years old with original cabinets, so we qualify for some "feedback."
It was mostly from young guys who probably live at home. We just smiled but were thinking, “Yes, a 130-year-old house often has some unusual attributes that we know and love well. It’s well-built, paid for, has some of the best schools in the state in walking distance, and we have all the money we’ll ever need in the bank. But sure, tell us what you think.” I think Amethyst’s “it’s vinyl” guy was trying to one-up her. Unsolicited opinions are the new unsolicited advice.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #20

Pleather is the slang term I have heard the bonded leather called. Full grain leather is getting harder to find, agree on that.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture, leather versus vinyl, people's foibles