Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which team do you want to win $1m on Sunday, May 6, and why?
Dustin & Kandice 6 40.00%
Charla & Mirna 8 53.33%
Eric & Danielle 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Race: which team are you rooting for?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Amazing Race: which team are you rooting for?

I love this show! Exotic places, teamwork, luck and ingenuity.

I am rooting for Charla and Mirna because:

a. they are always respectful in their treatment of other competitors and the people they meet around the world
b. they work very well as a team
c. Charla is one spunky lady and a win for this team would be such a boost for people with physical challenges
d. girl power

What do you think?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Amazing Race: which team are you rooting for?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree for all of the reasons that you listed. I did not care for them at first, because of the yelling. However, I really respected them when they did not yield anyone during the race. If they don't win, then my second vote would be for the other 2 women. The couple that is left, argue too much for me and I don't care for the female's I can't do this attitude sometimes.

I love the Amazing Race due to the traveling to the exotic places and the challenges involved.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I voted for Dustin and Kandice because they are competent and methodical. I like the show because they have been to most of the countries where Uncle Sam sent me to live (they haven't made it to Iran for obvious reasons).
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I voted for the guy and girl team but only by default.

The midget, honestly I just can't stand her and her much taller cousin irritates when she puts on that phony foreign accent. Who does she hope to impress while overseas? The so-called beauty queens are cute enough but are so full of themselves. I don't think humility and modesty is a word in their vocabulary.

Question and I must have the answer: Whatever happened to that black couple? They seemed to have simply disappeared some weeks ago. Maybe I missed an episode but I can not recall them coming in last and being eliminated.

johanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Uchenna and Joyce lost out a while back. Never felt they should have been in the race since they had already won once.

I like Charla as she is willing to take on any challenge but Mirna has grown increasingly rude both to her cousin and others.

Voted for Dustin and Kandice as they have done a solid, consistent job without ragging on each other.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanne
The midget, honestly I just can't stand her
For the record, Charla has Achondroplasia. It's a genetic condition. Many people would consider the term "midget" to be derogatory.

Quote:
Whatever happened to that black couple? They seemed to have simply disappeared some weeks ago. Maybe I missed an episode but I can not recall them coming in last and being eliminated.
Uchenna & Joyce were great competitors. They took a chance on a tight flight connection but missed it because their first plane landed late. (Just like real life!)
Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf42
Uchenna and Joyce lost out a while back. Never felt they should have been in the race

I seem to remember they made a late connection. Vienna perhas. Well behind the others. Can you tell me if they ever completed that particular leg of the race? It was at least a month ago they were gone.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
For the record, Charla has Achondroplasia. It's a genetic condition. Many people would consider the term "midget" to be derogatory.

Uchenna & Joyce were great competitors. They took a chance on a tight flight connection but missed it because their first plane landed late. (Just like real life!)
my apologies .. I did not mean to offend. At my advanced age I still use old-fashioned words like lame, deaf, dumb, cripple. I am told I shouldn't.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I seem to remember they made a late connection. Vienna perhas. Well behind the others. Can you tell me if they ever completed that particular leg of the race? It was at least a month ago they were gone.

They arrived at (Hong Kong or Macau?) at night, several hours after everyone else. There was no hope. Their fist "clue" led them directly to the pit stop.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
They arrived at (Hong Kong or Macau?) at night, several hours after everyone else. There was no hope. Their fist "clue" led them directly to the pit stop.
Thanks .. I thought they never got beyond Europe.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #11

I loved Danny & Oswald, however now that they have been eliminated I hope the Beauty Queens win. They have run a good race, and haven't really leached off any of the other teams.

At first I didn't like Charla and Mirna, they annoyed the crap out of me. However, I have come to love Charla and respect her for her efforts. Mirna, I dislike intensely, I feel she is false and everytime she opens her mouth with those stupid accents she puts on I feel like slapping her. I hate the way she has put Charla down when the going has gotten tough. It's not as if Charla chose her condition and the hardships it gives her.

If Eric and Danielle win, I would be disappointed as they are the least deserving. The lack of respect shown by Danielle in muslim countries when she was running around in those tight pants with her boobs hanging out and if she cries/whines one more time. Eric is so immature with the way he has carried on with his lack of respect for Danielle and his behaviour when they have been yielded. He needs to get a grip, it's a race for $1m, it's a game and he takes everything so personally.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
I loved Danny & Oswald, however now that they have been eliminated I hope the Beauty Queens win. They have run a good race, and haven't really leached off any of the other teams.

At first I didn't like Charla and Mirna, they annoyed the crap out of me. However, I have come to love Charla and respect her for her efforts. Mirna, I dislike intensely, I feel she is false and everytime she opens her mouth with those stupid accents she puts on I feel like slapping her. I hate the way she has put Charla down when the going has gotten tough. It's not as if Charla chose her condition and the hardships it gives her.

If Eric and Danielle win, I would be disappointed as they are the least deserving. The lack of respect shown by Danielle in muslim countries when she was running around in those tight pants with her boobs hanging out and if she cries/whines one more time. Eric is so immature with the way he has carried on with his lack of respect for Danielle and his behaviour when they have been yielded. He needs to get a grip, it's a race for $1m, it's a game and he takes everything so personally.
Danny and Oswald probably had the most personality of the whole bunch. Most pleasant team I would think.

Mirna with that phony accent just isn't funny so I must agree with you here.

I support Eric and Danielle but by default only. Not that I particularly like them.

One thing I have noticed about the amazing race, this current series and those of the past, is that some teams tend to think of themselves as smarter or more savvy than the competition. If truth be told some teams will lose out or be eliminated early just because of bad luck: A late flight, a taxi driver who gets the directions all wrong or can not understand the lingo for example. IOW circumstances beyond their control.

There is usually the same old tired script which works every time. A couple when exiting will profess their undying love/ admiration/affection, for one another and will claim the experience has made them better and stronger. I find that bit amusing and corny.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I go with the blonds....

As other have said, Mirna accent etc just irritate me... and they are doing the dirty tricks just as much as any of the others... not letting people on the internet... using the 'midget' card at airports...

The blonds are the least irritating team there... but like a few others, Euchen and Joyce were my first choice because they were from Houston and didn't bicker much... then Danny and Oswald when it was down to 4....

So, blonds by default as the least irritating team left... them being good looking is just a plus...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

meh-stopped watching amazing race a few seasons ago, but Charla's probably one of my favorite competitors ever (don't give a rat's A$$ about Mirna). As for the "short stature card"--you gotta use whatever advantages you have, IMHO. :-)
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
meh-stopped watching amazing race a few seasons ago, but Charla's probably one of my favorite competitors ever (don't give a rat's A$$ about Mirna). As for the "short stature card"--you gotta use whatever advantages you have, IMHO. :-)

Hey, don't get me wrong... I don't have any problem with them using their 'short' card, but they then talk about how they are not like the others who are playing dirty tricks... they do just like most of the teams... at least the blonds fess up on the end of the show talks....

But that fake accent has to GOOOO
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #16

I'm so glad that it's not just me who is bitching about that fake accent. I have to agree that in their soundbites Charla and Mirna do carry on about being above all the dirty tricks yet they have been sighted harassing airline staff. I thought it was classic last week when they were on the air force plane and Mirna is telling them to hurry it up.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Mirna also annoys me, and yes, the funky pigeon baby-talk is really almost offensive. Like if they talk to the cab driver like he's a Polish 5 year old, he'll understand them? But I really respect Charla for getting this far with the additional obstacles she has to overcome.

Go Charla!
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

There are some people online who have threaten to make t-shirts that say "Free Charla".

I found it amusing that the Polish taxi drivers didn't want to cooperate with Mirna, authentic Eastern European accent and all, even though it was taking food out of her mouth. I liked in the last episode, how Mirna asked their latest taxi driver how he said "airport" and he replied, "airport"
Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #19

yeah, C&M team are annoying!

even if the blondes are mean - they have been consistant! and the other couple is a mess...

watching the race is not relaxing by any means, but fun!

who would you run it w/ if you had the chance?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I admire the heck out of anyone who can do that and be civil and nice to people along the way = one reason I really appreciated Danny and Oswald and Uchenna and Joyce. Me, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of those people who didn't behave well under the pressure, so no, I probably wouldn't do it.
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote