Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
(Cue all the people who look down on FB and proudly state that THEY don't use Facebook. Save it. None of us care, and that's not what this is about. It never is.)

LOL. I don't use Facebook. I thought I was the last holdout. Is there more like me? Is it like that TV show Last Man on Earth. I have to find the other person and procreate.

Just thinking I am under represented on the FAANG stocks. No Facebook. No Apple. Almost no Amazon. Small Netflix user, But all in on the Google world
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #142

I've followed every post on this interesting thread. There are a lot of things worse, in life, than being banned by Amazon. But OP clearly got a screwing, here. I'd be "ballistic" if this happened to me, for the simple reason that no definitive explanation was given to him with no right to give them the "true facts."

I'd like to say I will stop using Amazon entirely, but realistically that likely won't happen. But I guarantee I will be checking jet.com and other internet shopping sites, based solely on this thread.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I've followed every post on this interesting thread. There are a lot of things worse, in life, than being banned by Amazon. But OP clearly got a screwing, here. I'd be "ballistic" if this happened to me, for the simple reason that no definitive explanation was given to him with no right to give them the "true facts."

I'd like to say I will stop using Amazon entirely, but realistically that likely won't happen. But I guarantee I will be checking jet.com and other internet shopping sites, based solely on this thread.
I, too, would have a tough time without Amazon -- the only other main source is B&H. Except for minor (less than $10) items, I go through a pretty thorough comparison check.

To give some idea of our purchases is this screen shot I sent to my cousin (who is on staff at Hope Center) -- and this includes only those purchases that I remembered to use Smile:

HOPE Donations.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
LOL. I don't use Facebook. I thought I was the last holdout. Is there more like me? Is it like that TV show Last Man on Earth. I have to find the other person and procreate.

Just thinking I am under represented on the FAANG stocks. No Facebook. No Apple. Almost no Amazon. Small Netflix user, But all in on the Google world
Facebook? What's that?? A book about faces? Sounds silly to me. I've used a handbook before - - - only to find it contained zero hands. Go figure.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

I have read through this whole unbelievable thread. I use Amazon almost weekly and this whole scenario is terrifying and sad that Amazon would do this to a customer.

The one thought I had here that I don’t see is the fire stick. I know for TIVO and prime, I need to enter my password. I wonder if somehow someone has hacked into that to get to your account and use it for bad stuff. I think I also saw that the router had the default password open, which would also leave your information open to hacking.

I am so sorry this happened to you and hope that you can get it resolved. Amazon shouldn’t be allowed to throw away good customers like this.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #146

As I've said before I've seen the rise of Amazon since their early days and have been a long time supporter but over the last couple of years I'm no longer enamored by their shady business practices and arrogance. They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope! if I'm a regular member and I tried to order a product that was close to their $25 minimum for free shipping they immediately lowered the price in the cart as an 'instant discount' just so my total doesn't meet the minimum and I'm forced to buy additional items...while they threw-up their Prime membership offer crap all over my screen. The same item if I added in my Prime account there was no price-fixing.
Another trend I've noticed is where if I add an item in my cart but don't buy it they'll raise the price by $5-15 the next day. Then lower it back down to the original just so you're psychologically pressured to buy it before the price goes up again. I checked with my other non-prime account...same item, no price change!
They seem to think they're untouchable and above the law and are willing to screw the very people who've made them what they are. While I don't plan to completely ban them I'm simply no longer renewing my Prime Membership (hit them where it hurts them the most) and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
As I've said before I've seen the rise of Amazon since their early days and have been a long time supporter but over the last couple of years I'm no longer enamored by their shady business practices and arrogance. They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope! if I'm a regular member and I tried to order a product that was close to their $25 minimum for free shipping they immediately lowered the price in the cart as an 'instant discount' just so my total doesn't meet the minimum and I'm forced to buy additional items...while they threw-up their Prime membership offer crap all over my screen. The same item if I added in my Prime account there was no price-fixing.
Another trend I've noticed is where if I add an item in my cart but don't buy it they'll raise the price by $5-15 the next day. Then lower it back down to the original just so you're psychologically pressured to buy it before the price goes up again. I checked with my other non-prime account...same item, no price change!
They seem to think they're untouchable and above the law and are willing to screw the very people who've made them what they are. While I don't plan to completely ban them I'm simply no longer renewing my Prime Membership (hit them where it hurts them the most) and will definitely order more things from Walmart.com, Jet.com, Google Express and ebay.com (I buy a lot of new items on Ebay all the time for cheaper than Amazon).
Seems to me that they are playing by the "laws" of capitalism.

I personally have no issue with regulations but for those that do and that feel that capitalism is the answer to all issue--not saying that you do but it is a real thing in this country-- then the correct answer is that they can do what the market will bear and benefit or suffer the consequences.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When they find out about your secondary account, and price checking, they'll ban both of your accounts for good. I'm sure there is something in the fine print about your checking up on them.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #149

Quote:
They've been playing games with their prices based on the type of membership you have etc. Case in point, I created a secondary account just to see if it was my imagination. Nope!
Interesting. I only shop Amazon when I'm NOT logged in (with Prime) and after clearing all cookies. If I find something I want, I'll exit the browser (to clear the cookies) and only then order it with my Prime account (or use my cell phone, same account.)

I've never noticed a difference in price. But I also don't give them the opportunity (cookies) to track my searches and adjust accordingly.

For the record, lots of companies do this. The airlines are the best example. Try searching for a flight, then come back later (same browser) and check the price and seat availability. You'll probably notice a big difference.

I use Amazon a lot. My personal experience with them is head and shoulders above other on-line options, including eBay. I've never had the kinds of hassles and dishonesty (like inflated "shipping" charges) I've had to deal with elsewhere. It's not that I'm a huge fan, and I take this whole thread seriously, as a caution. At least for now, I'll probably keep shopping there.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Seems to me that they are playing by the "laws" of capitalism.

I personally have no issue with regulations but for those that do and that feel that capitalism is the answer to all issue--not saying that you do but it is a real thing in this country-- then the correct answer is that they can do what the market will bear and benefit or suffer the consequences.
They're a public company. I call it the car-dealer salesman tactics...no one appreciates them and then on top of that the arrogance to ban customers without providing a reason. Amazon - the new soup nazi.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #151

While we're discussing "free market" and "capitalism," allow me to add some perspective.

You can't have a free market unless you have a marketplace. A marketplace runs under a set of rules. Thousands of years ago, maybe everyone would meet at the town square on (say) Saturday morning. There had to be a way to allocate space for each vendor. There had to be a currency, or at least an agreed-upon set of valuations. There had to be some way to resolve disputes.

Today, the rules are more complex. You can't put lead in the children's toys you're selling. Your manufacturing process can't poison my well water or pollute the air. You can't extract a shared resource (like oil) without paying for it somehow.

The point is, "free market" doesn't mean "no rules." It means the same rules apply to everyone. Sellers are free to compete under those rules, or not. That's what drives efficiency and innovation. Lack of rules quickly breeds a kleptocracy.

Be very careful when a politician tries to conflate the two. They're not doing it for you, but for some special interest.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if this article has anything to do with the OP issue, however while reading about the fraud outlined, this thread quickly came to mind.

Man gets 10-year prison sentence after exploiting common consumer refund tool
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

I have been using Walmart.com a lot more than Amazon recently. I find the Walmart prices to be lower, free shipping if the order is over $35, fast shipping (most in 2 days), easy to deal with customer service, easy returns (can return to the Walmart store). I can find most everything I need on Walmart.com. For specialty items I use Ebay. I would encourage the OP to check out Walmart.com. Amazon is not the only game in town and if they treat their customers like dirt they will lose a lot of customers.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #154

I recently posted a question about Gopro. I ordered it yesterday, via Google Express. My small contribution to the anti-Amazon movement.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #155

I never understood the Amazon obsession. I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. Also, I will never pay an upfront annual fee for shipping like Amazon lures millions of customers to do. With Ebay and Walmart.com for most items and RockAuto for auto parts, I don't see a need for Amazon.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I never understood the Amazon obsession.
For me, pure convenience. One place, has just about everything, good pricing (maybe not always the best), and it shows up at my door in two days with one click. It’s also nice to only have my credit card loaded in one place. For all other purchases, I enter my information with each purchase.

Though I do share the concern about Amazon being too big and controlling, and I’m really concerned about what the OP is going through, so I’m more inclined now that I’m retired to spend a bit more time on other options.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. ...

Even considering the 5% rebate with the Credit/Store card? Can you give an example of "most"?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #158

I've got a couple of recent examples:

Neutrogena facial soap 3 pack. At target it's 3.95, amazon all $9 and up.
Cafe Bustelo decaf: $4 at Target, amazon sells 3-packs for $29 or single for $10

Anecdotal, sure but it's not hard to find cheaper prices on things, especially since prices change all the time. Most sellers use a re-pricer to automate up and down throughout the day with ebbs and flows and competition.

Many times the differences are inconsequential when factoring in convenience and time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never understood the Amazon obsession. I usually check Amazon's prices when searching for a product, but most always can find the same product cheaper elsewhere. Also, I will never pay an upfront annual fee for shipping like Amazon lures millions of customers to do. With Ebay and Walmart.com for most items and RockAuto for auto parts, I don't see a need for Amazon.
It's not factual that you can always find the same product cheaper elsewhere.

I don't see this as being obsessed with Amazon. Use any vendor as an example. You become a customer, give them your business. Participate when then expand their platforms, IE Fire stick, Prime Video, E-Reader and buy content from them. They send you a please drop dead notice but don't even say please. The issue for me isn't what they sell but how they feel free to treat any customer like dirt because they have so many customers.

It's like the real word problems we are having today,. If everyone doesn't matter, then no one matters.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
...I've never noticed a difference in price. But I also don't give them the opportunity (cookies) to track my searches and adjust accordingly.

For the record, lots of companies do this. The airlines are the best example. Try searching for a flight, then come back later (same browser) and check the price and seat availability. You'll probably notice a big difference.
So, if I search for a flight, the strategy is to delete the cookies if want to come back later and check the price? It's as if the website is seeing me for the first time?