Join Early Retirement Today

The Arcimoto, the Electric Fun Utility Vehicle
Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Arcimoto, the Electric Fun Utility Vehicle

Was looking for potential EV investments and ran across the Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicle. It's an rechargeable electric "trike" that can be used for recreational purposes. They have a range of 100 miles and a top speed of 75 mph.

They also make versions for delivery companies, The Deliverator, and also one built for emergency response teams.

This thing looks like a blast to drive around. I can see them being rented for use at warm weather resorts. I'm wondering if they would catch on at retirement communities?

https://youtu.be/D-UAlCWRBXM

https://youtu.be/Z3Zdm3bkll8

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #2

I just read the Electrek review. Very interesting. Base model costs $11,900.

Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Here's a review which states the cost is closer to 20K.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/...cs-price-speed
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Looks fun, but I would not want to get into an accident in it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Eek, a golf cart that goes 75mph, and is aimed at the elderly market...what could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Was looking for potential EV investments and ran across the Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicle. It's an rechargeable electric "trike" that can be used for recreational purposes. They have a range of 100 miles and a top speed of 75 mph.

They also make versions for delivery companies, The Deliverator, and also one built for emergency response teams.

This thing looks like a blast to drive around. I can see them being rented for use at warm weather resorts. I'm wondering if they would catch on at retirement communities?

https://youtu.be/D-UAlCWRBXM

https://youtu.be/Z3Zdm3bkll8
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Interesting. Here's a review which states the cost is closer to 20K.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/...cs-price-speed
For that price, you might as well just get a car.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, the introductory price of $19,900 is indeed crazy. Nevertheless, we bought one. (1) It is a full electric vehicle that is far less in cost than any other li-ion battery vehicle (2) It is super fun and easy to get in and out of for those quick trips (3) If you are in Oregon it costs $17,400, and if you are low/moderate income in Oregon it costs $14,900 after a secondary rebate is issued (4) It is fully made in Oregon where 100 people are fully employed (5) There is no other small footprint 2 person all electric grocery go-getter available. We love ours but realize it is still in beta. No way is it perfect, but then neither is our 2017 Subaru Impreza. Yes, it is a motorcycle with no ABS, no airbags, no full doors. But it does have 2 seat belts per seat and the roof is crush tested. Side impact? Probably won't do well. But otherwise it is super fun and makes driving less of a PIA with having to wait for the engine oil to warm up and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. Even with gas at $2/gallon, it looks like our first 600 miles cost $20 extra on our electric bill (mostly hydro electric and windmills). So not too bad.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Hi, the introductory price of $19,900 is indeed crazy. Nevertheless, we bought one. (1) It is a full electric vehicle that is far less in cost than any other li-ion battery vehicle (2) It is super fun and easy to get in and out of for those quick trips (3) If you are in Oregon it costs $17,400, and if you are low/moderate income in Oregon it costs $14,900 after a secondary rebate is issued (4) It is fully made in Oregon where 100 people are fully employed (5) There is no other small footprint 2 person all electric grocery go-getter available. We love ours but realize it is still in beta. No way is it perfect, but then neither is our 2017 Subaru Impreza. Yes, it is a motorcycle with no ABS, no airbags, no full doors. But it does have 2 seat belts per seat and the roof is crush tested. Side impact? Probably won't do well. But otherwise it is super fun and makes driving less of a PIA with having to wait for the engine oil to warm up and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. Even with gas at $2/gallon, it looks like our first 600 miles cost $20 extra on our electric bill (mostly hydro electric and windmills). So not too bad.
They look like a blast and have a very unique market. I can see many urban dwellers using such a machine.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who waits for engine oil to warm up? Does it require you to wear a helmet? ( I recall that the woman driver in the video was not wearing one. Is a motorcycle license required? (i suspect not).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Who waits for engine oil to warm up? Does it require you to wear a helmet? ( I recall that the woman driver in the video was not wearing one. Is a motorcycle license required? (i suspect not).
I often think about the fact that for +90% of my trips, I could use something smaller than my full size car. A couple bags of groceries, and I'm set most of the time. So something like this has its attractions.

But I won't give up my full size car, because when I need/want it, I need/want it! And there's not enough room for this and my car in a garage slot, so it effectively takes up a whole slot, even though it uses only half of it.

But most of those trips still involve a 55 mph stretch, I'm not comfortable with the safety of these things. And no heat (other than seat/grip heat), and no A/C? That ain't gonna fly. No full doors? And they still cost over half of a full size vehicle, even with these compromises. So it always comes down to - interesting, but no thanks.

If I were an urban dweller, it might be more tempting. But then again, I think of my Son and his wife, they live in the city. But each of them regularly takes their cars out to the suburbs for work or social events, and that involved expressway driving, so it's still a tough sell.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. .... (mostly hydro electric and windmills). ....
Yes, Washington state does have a large % of its electrical energy supplied by hydro. But we always need to look a bit deeper than the surface.

Washington state also exports electricity to other grids that rely more on fossil fuel. So when you use an extra kWh in WA to charge an EV, that's a kWh that wasn't available for export. So that outside grid needs to throttle up a fossil fuel plant to provide that power. So in effect, you are using fossil fuel to power that EV, even though it appears that the source was hydro.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gravel Roads?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #12

Gravel Roads?

Quote:

Do you ever drive this on non-paved roads? If so, what has been your experience?

Thank you.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

IMHO, a good used Prius is a better buy. And a lot safer.

I can't see the Government letting a 75mph vehicle just skip all the safety requirements needed for a normal car unless one never drives it on public roads, sidewalks, trails, etc.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Aimed at the older market, but doesn't have a/c? That lets out Florida and Arizona, where their prime customer (old with spare money) abounds.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote