The Arcimoto, the Electric Fun Utility Vehicle

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was looking for potential EV investments and ran across the Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicle. It's an rechargeable electric "trike" that can be used for recreational purposes. They have a range of 100 miles and a top speed of 75 mph.

They also make versions for delivery companies, The Deliverator, and also one built for emergency response teams.

This thing looks like a blast to drive around. I can see them being rented for use at warm weather resorts. I'm wondering if they would catch on at retirement communities?

https://youtu.be/D-UAlCWRBXM

https://youtu.be/Z3Zdm3bkll8

I just read the Electrek review. Very interesting. Base model costs $11,900.

Eek, a golf cart that goes 75mph, and is aimed at the elderly market...what could possibly go wrong? :facepalm:

Was looking for potential EV investments and ran across the Arcimoto Fun Utility Vehicle. It's an rechargeable electric "trike" that can be used for recreational purposes. They have a range of 100 miles and a top speed of 75 mph.

They also make versions for delivery companies, The Deliverator, and also one built for emergency response teams.

This thing looks like a blast to drive around. I can see them being rented for use at warm weather resorts. I'm wondering if they would catch on at retirement communities?

https://youtu.be/D-UAlCWRBXM

https://youtu.be/Z3Zdm3bkll8

Hi, the introductory price of $19,900 is indeed crazy. Nevertheless, we bought one. (1) It is a full electric vehicle that is far less in cost than any other li-ion battery vehicle (2) It is super fun and easy to get in and out of for those quick trips (3) If you are in Oregon it costs $17,400, and if you are low/moderate income in Oregon it costs $14,900 after a secondary rebate is issued (4) It is fully made in Oregon where 100 people are fully employed (5) There is no other small footprint 2 person all electric grocery go-getter available. We love ours but realize it is still in beta. No way is it perfect, but then neither is our 2017 Subaru Impreza. Yes, it is a motorcycle with no ABS, no airbags, no full doors. But it does have 2 seat belts per seat and the roof is crush tested. Side impact? Probably won't do well. But otherwise it is super fun and makes driving less of a PIA with having to wait for the engine oil to warm up and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. Even with gas at $2/gallon, it looks like our first 600 miles cost $20 extra on our electric bill (mostly hydro electric and windmills). So not too bad.

Hi, the introductory price of $19,900 is indeed crazy. Nevertheless, we bought one. (1) It is a full electric vehicle that is far less in cost than any other li-ion battery vehicle (2) It is super fun and easy to get in and out of for those quick trips (3) If you are in Oregon it costs $17,400, and if you are low/moderate income in Oregon it costs $14,900 after a secondary rebate is issued (4) It is fully made in Oregon where 100 people are fully employed (5) There is no other small footprint 2 person all electric grocery go-getter available. We love ours but realize it is still in beta. No way is it perfect, but then neither is our 2017 Subaru Impreza. Yes, it is a motorcycle with no ABS, no airbags, no full doors. But it does have 2 seat belts per seat and the roof is crush tested. Side impact? Probably won't do well. But otherwise it is super fun and makes driving less of a PIA with having to wait for the engine oil to warm up and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. Even with gas at $2/gallon, it looks like our first 600 miles cost $20 extra on our electric bill (mostly hydro electric and windmills). So not too bad.
They look like a blast and have a very unique market. I can see many urban dwellers using such a machine.

Who waits for engine oil to warm up? :facepalm: Does it require you to wear a helmet? ( I recall that the woman driver in the video was not wearing one. Is a motorcycle license required? (i suspect not).

Who waits for engine oil to warm up? :facepalm: Does it require you to wear a helmet? ( I recall that the woman driver in the video was not wearing one. Is a motorcycle license required? (i suspect not).

I often think about the fact that for +90% of my trips, I could use something smaller than my full size car. A couple bags of groceries, and I'm set most of the time. So something like this has its attractions.

But I won't give up my full size car, because when I need/want it, I need/want it! And there's not enough room for this and my car in a garage slot, so it effectively takes up a whole slot, even though it uses only half of it.

But most of those trips still involve a 55 mph stretch, I'm not comfortable with the safety of these things. And no heat (other than seat/grip heat), and no A/C? That ain't gonna fly. No full doors? And they still cost over half of a full size vehicle, even with these compromises. So it always comes down to - interesting, but no thanks.

If I were an urban dweller, it might be more tempting. But then again, I think of my Son and his wife, they live in the city. But each of them regularly takes their cars out to the suburbs for work or social events, and that involved expressway driving, so it's still a tough sell.

-ERD50

.... and not spewing carbon into the atmosphere. .... (mostly hydro electric and windmills). ....

Yes, Washington state does have a large % of its electrical energy supplied by hydro. But we always need to look a bit deeper than the surface.

Washington state also exports electricity to other grids that rely more on fossil fuel. So when you use an extra kWh in WA to charge an EV, that's a kWh that wasn't available for export. So that outside grid needs to throttle up a fossil fuel plant to provide that power. So in effect, you are using fossil fuel to power that EV, even though it appears that the source was hydro.

-ERD50

Gravel Roads?

Do you ever drive this on non-paved roads? If so, what has been your experience?

Thank you.

IMHO, a good used Prius is a better buy. And a lot safer.

I can't see the Government letting a 75mph vehicle just skip all the safety requirements needed for a normal car unless one never drives it on public roads, sidewalks, trails, etc.

Aimed at the older market, but doesn't have a/c? That lets out Florida and Arizona, where their prime customer (old with spare money) abounds.

Back
Top Bottom