Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity"
Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity"

The things one finds on the Internet...

This is from an essay first published in 1976 by the Italian economic historian Carlo Cipolla.

The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

"The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person."

"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses."

"Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake."
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOL! This fantastic. The entire site looks good also. I realize that I have been mistakenly classifying some people as morons when they are actually helpless. Likewise, some I took to be low level crooks (bandits) may have in fact been simple cases of stupidity. I expect this essay to be very useful to my cognitive processes, though it may not do anything very good for my personality.
I can now solidly and with no chance of being wrong assign my sister to absolute stupidity. Everywhere she goes she sows havoc, all the while deeply suffering within herself.
Ha
Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Administrator

This is amazing. A gem. What an incredible find. M Paquette, a gold star!
Quote:
The Third Basic Law assumes, although it does not state it explicitly, that human beings fall into four basic categories: the helpless, the intelligent, the bandit and the stupid. It will be easily recognized by the perspicacious reader that these four categories correspond to the four areas I, H, S, B, of the basic graph (see below).
Now we have an alternative to Myers Briggs personality types.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is amazing. A gem. What an incredible find. M Paquette, a gold star!

+1 Amazing! I love it.

Finally I understand why some people drive the way they do. Specifically, I now understand why some will cross four lanes of traffic at right angles on a busy street at rush hour in order to make a u-turn, when they could accomplish the same thing without bringing all traffic to a halt by simply turning right and going around the block.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish my wife was still here to read this. She was the best read of stupid people and people with with less than good character than anyone I've ever known.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
That was exactly the thought I had when I saw that section and the great diagrams. It's an amazing piece of work. My cats are clearly in the Intelligent Bandit slice.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
My cats are clearly in the Intelligent Bandit slice.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent! Lets move this over to the political forum and have some fun.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Excellent! Lets move this over to the political forum and have some fun.
My thoughts exactly
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a fun article. Thanks! And it leads to many more articles (Favia's Reality Cracking Lab) if you go to the link at the top of the page.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Administrator

Very funny. Life is a constant battle against stupidity. Unfortunately, I think stupidity is winning.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The Third Basic Law assumes, although it does not state it explicitly, that human beings fall into four basic categories: the helpless, the intelligent, the bandit and the stupid. It will be easily recognized by the perspicacious reader that these four categories correspond to the four areas I, H, S, B, of the basic graph (see below).

Perhaps one should realign the categories, and rename "Bandit" to "Thief" - an identical but modern word.

The categories are thus The Stupid, The Helpless, the Intelligent, and the Thief. Corresponds to the acronym S.H.I.T., which sums up the characteristics quite appropriately.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
Very funny. Life is a constant battle against stupidity. Unfortunately, I think stupidity is winning.
Stupidity = entropy?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Stupidity = entropy?
Uh oh. This implies that there could be an information-theoretic definition of stupidity. Such a definition necessarily implies that algorithmic mechanisms must exist to model stupidity. From there we are but one step from...