Join Early Retirement Today

The Beach Boys - unplugged LOL
Old 11-07-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Beach Boys - unplugged LOL

https://youtu.be/4XidgJdRs74
This was originally posted in another thread but it is so funny I think it deserves more eyes on it. Hopefully those who need a good laugh will appreciate it. Thanks to the OP for posting it in the other thread...so so funny.
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2022, 05:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha! The actual recording of the lip-sync session probably did sound a lot like this! They even got Mike's wimpy nasal voice right. (There are actual videos of Brian making fun of Mike's singing. Brian clips his nose and wheezes, mocking Mike.)

Those early videos are visually cringe worthy. Murry pushed the boys into TV appearances in order to get them publicity. Brian clearly hated being shown visually and has zero acting ability.

But this video is all in fun. If you need a palette cleanser, and maybe even shed a tear, I like this fan video that aggregates some of behind the scenes takes of recording "God Only Knows".

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ha ha! The actual recording of the lip-sync session probably did sound a lot like this! They even got Mike's wimpy nasal voice right. (There are actual videos of Brian making fun of Mike's singing. Brian clips his nose and wheezes, mocking Mike.)

Those early videos are visually cringe worthy. Murry pushed the boys into TV appearances in order to get them publicity. Brian clearly hated being shown visually and has zero acting ability.

But this video is all in fun. If you need a palette cleanser, and maybe even shed a tear, I like this fan video that aggregates some of behind the scenes takes of recording "God Only Knows".
Great reply....many thanks....

That was a very interesting video too. Who ever put that together did an excellent job. Inspired me to break out my The Beach Boys The Greatest hits Volume 1 CD and enjoy it today. So much fun music...
Old 11-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Search for a documentary called “The Wrecking Crew”. It’s all about the band in The Beach Boys video, part two. They played on almost every hit record - Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, the Monkees, Beach Boys, you name it in the late 60’s into the 70’s. Some went onto solo careers like Glen Campbell. A lot of those hit records were not the actual bands.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Search for a documentary called “The Wrecking Crew”. It’s all about the band in The Beach Boys video, part two. They played on almost every hit record - Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, the Monkees, Beach Boys, you name it in the late 60’s into the 70’s. Some went onto solo careers like Glen Campbell. A lot of those hit records were not the actual bands.
Yep. The wrecking crew were everywhere on 60s hits. There are equivalent session groups centered on Nashville/Memphis and NYC.

As Brian got more particular, he added more and more class A musicians after the first few albums.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Also "Muscle Shoals", about the recording studio in Alabama. The house band was "The Swampers", and they are the heart and soul of so many great hits, one of the biggest was their jamming that brought out Aretha Franklin's soul on "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)" .

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, The Swampers. Even called out in "Sweet Home Alabama."

I always get a kick out of Sam and Dave calling out Steve Cropper ("Play it, Steve!") in Soul Man and then the Blues Brothers redo the song and keep the call out because Cropper was playing with them too! He was part of the talented Stax house band group.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

https://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
i believe that many of the bands that play on recordings are studio musicians and not the band that toured. exceptions that I'm aware of are Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks (hey..I'm a country fan. If it ain't country, it ain't music). at least two groups of studio musicians found success by forming their own bands...Toto and The Band.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Bands differ in how much help they hire for album recordings. It also depends on the producer. But yeah, there are a lot of session musicians out there substituting for members. And if not that, they frequently add extra musicians to fill in the sound.

It's kind of funny when you think about it. So much music we hear is not by the people pictured on the album. There seems to be no problem. But substitute a vocal performance? Well, it becomes an international incident. One look no further than Milli Vanilli.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i believe that many of the bands that play on recordings are studio musicians and not the band that toured. exceptions that I'm aware of are Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks (hey..I'm a country fan. If it ain't country, it ain't music). at least two groups of studio musicians found success by forming their own bands...Toto and The Band.
Clint Black was another country singer.

A majority of Bruce Springsteen's albums too, although curiously according to Wikipedia -

"The E Street Band established its reputation among studio musicians in the 1970s and the 1980s with its significant contribution to the Springsteen albums Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River and Born in the U.S.A. However, unlike such backing bands as the Silver Bullet Band or the Heartbreakers, the E Street Band never received a full credit on a Springsteen studio album. Only individual band members were credited. Even though the band did all or nearly all of the playing on these albums, each was released solely under Springsteen's name. Indeed, the E Street Band is not even mentioned as such in any of the literature for these albums until an inside liner note for The River, and then a cover "Performed by" credit on Born in the U.S.A. Later albums such as Tunnel of Love and Greatest Hits did name the band and list the members."

But, I digress.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:54 PM   #13

Here is another video made by the same person....LOL.

Original
https://youtu.be/wvUQcnfwUUM

Spoof
https://youtu.be/ZlN5Kkxr17w
Old 11-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Along same lines, try to find (IIRC) "The Making of Pet Sounds" which has overlap with The Wrecking Crew" video. All good historical stuff that verifies the genius of Brian Wilson.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote