The best career & ER advice we'll ever get...

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I haven't even read Marshall Goldsmith's book yet and I'm already starting to like the guy.

"First, take a deep breath. Take a deeper breath. Now, imagine that you are 95 years old and you are just about to die. Here comes your last breath. But before you take your last breath, you are being given a wonderful, beautiful gift: the ability to travel back in time and talk with the person who is reading this column. The 95-year-old you has been given the chance to help the you of today to have a great career and, much more important, to have a great life."

The Best Coaching You Will Ever Get

95-year-old W2R: "The most important thing is to NEVER marry. Just pursue your career. You'll be glad you did."

59-year-old W2R: "Sorry! Too late. BTDT, got the divorce, no t-shirt."

95-year-old W2R: "Hmmph. Ok. Well, you should DEFINITELY retire right now. You really want the time more than you want things, and you don't need to wait for that lifetime health coverage because (...something indistinguishable...)"

59-year-old W2R: "Yeah, right? what if I/you got sick?"

95-year-old W2R: "One last thing: wait until 66 to claim Social Security benefits! Bye, now!"

I thought the idea was to listen to the older wiser self, and not starting an argument?

Anyway, the article is nice, but not practical in my view. If I were smart, wise, experienced as my 95 year old self, then I would not be needing "his" advices in the first place. If I were not, then I would be listening to my current self, which doesn't do much good.

95 year old martha: Look at this you young twerp, you made it to 95. You aren't going to die tomorrow, so you better plan ahead. BTW, my knees hurt. You might want to drop a few pounds. What happened to going to the gym every day? I glad you ate the string beans for lunch, but lay off the bread.

Before I beam up, I thought you might want to know that the future is in pl. . . .

52 year old martha: **** me, I make it to 95.

I liked the article, Nords. This reminds me of Covey's "Begin with the end in mind..." from 7 Habits.

This reminds me of the times I ask myself, "why do you get so wrapped up in what's ahead and not immerse yourself in enjoying right now?" So easy to overlook the riches we have today... family members who are still alive and healthy for instance. Some day they will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom