Join Early Retirement Today

The Blue Angel?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Blue Angel?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/24/bu...nted=1&_r=1&hp

Senior man falls for siren, becomes destitute, now wants to be made whole by banks brokers from whom he borrowed money or with whom he did transactions.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

please please please please please, if anyone here notices me giving away a million bucks (unless you know i got 10 other million safely stached away), just shoot me.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
I do feel sorry for Mr. Pyle BUT.......
Old 12-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I do feel sorry for Mr. Pyle BUT.......

if he is mentally competent, he should be held accountable for his actions like anyone else. To allow a person to get out of contracts entered in good faith, just because of his or her age, is discriminatory. If that were the law, contracts with older people wouldn't be worth the paper they were written on. Soon, nobody would be doing any business with seniors.

I still would like to see a mental status test on this gentleman.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
please please please please please, if anyone here notices me giving away a million bucks (unless you know i got 10 other million safely stached away), just shoot me.

I think the same (for me) every time I read one of these stories.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sad. Unfortunately there isn't a bright line between competence and incompetence. Some people, either as they age or otherwise, are just vulnerable to scams.

At least he has step children that love him and will care for him.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I think the same (for me) every time I read one of these stories.
Another childless person here. Maybe an assisted living home for elderly ERs? Cribbage anyone? I know Lazy will charm the nurses. Ha can teach us to Salsa.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Give me a million bucks, I'll be happy to shot you. Actually since you give a million bucks, I'll put you out to pasture in what every fashion you so desire. Die of a heart attack in wild sex orgy in Thailand, hang glide off everest, pass out peacefully from your choice of recreational pharmacuticals.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
if he is mentally competent, he should be held accountable for his actions like anyone else. To allow a person to get out of contracts entered in good faith, just because of his or her age, is discriminatory. If that were the law, contracts with older people wouldn't be worth the paper they were written on. Soon, nobody would be doing any business with seniors.
That'd be interesting-- no one under age 18 or over 75 could enter into a legal contract.

A lot of fun, too!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When I hear the word deserve when it comes to money, I worry. The guy even admits to being a fool but still thinks that he should get his money back. No fool like an old fool.