The Cheap Thrill-Airport Security Measures run Wild

Yep. First instinct of every organism is survival, and a bureaucracy is an organism. And they're doing pretty well, because they manage to get people to believe that what they are doing will actually mitigate the risks addressed in the very next post:

Well, what should the government do then? You are saying that the screenings don't mitigate the risks, so then what should be done to mitigate the risks?

With all this hassle, it sure looks like I got into RV traveling at the right time!

Well, what should the government do then? You are saying that the screenings don't mitigate the risks, so then what should be done to mitigate the risks?

This has been asked and answered in many forums and news programs. No one wants to hear it, but by all accounts it's effective.

Simply adopt a system similar to that used by Israel. They use info from your passport, interviews, intelligence and (probably) gut feel. You could call it profiling, but that's a loaded word. I would call it "screening". If you Google it, you could find some details. The idea is that you screen the people instead of the stuff they bring onto the plane. (How will we ever screen for internal devices - give everyone a cavity search:confused:?)

TSA types say the USA is too big to do Israeli style screening. What a cop-out response. No, we couldn't start doing it tomorrow, but we could eventually - and we probably will if there is another significant, successful attack which can't be caught by our current "new and improved" methods. Are there "issues" with such tactics. In a word "yes". But the Israeli system has been very effective and is carried out in the most likely target in the world. I wouldn't say we've been very successful by the various methods we've evolved over the years (think, 9-11).

Another good thing about the Israeli "system" is that it can be modified very quickly. Scanning machines and pat-downs are a one-size-fits-all approach that probably work for many threats, but not for ones we haven't seen yet. (Again, think cavity devices). Once these methods fail, there's no easy fix - okay, I guess strip searches and cavity exams, but, sheeeesh!

With all this hassle, it sure looks like I got into RV traveling at the right time!

Yes. Us too. The biggest problem we currently have with air travel, right now, is trying to decide what to do with all the miles we have built up in those silly Milage Programs.

Count me in. If all of this nonsense does not reduce or go away, I may be splurging on a much nicer camper than I otherwise would have when it comes time to buy a new one.

Crappy logic here. Might as well arrest everyone now.

I will pick on your amusement park example for a moment though. That is private property. They can pretty much do what they want as a condition of entrance, and I have no problem with that.

No, that is not crappy logic. Check him just like you check everyone else. It only makes sense. Just like they should be checking congressmen when they fly commercial. Just like they should be checking TSA employees when they arrive for work (which I've seen first hand that they do not)

And as a far as I know, none of the airlines in the USA are government owned ...so I'm not sure where you're going with the comment on amusement parks?

No, that is not crappy logic. Check him just like you check everyone else. It only makes sense. Just like they should be checking congressmen when they fly commercial. Just like they should be checking TSA employees when they arrive for work (which I've seen first hand that they do not)

Yes, it is crappy logic. You are stating that because some people go bad, all people might, and all people should have their rights impinged as a result of this possibility. IMO that fits the general definition of a hasty generalization:
Hasty generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as a far as I know, none of the airlines in the USA are government owned ...so I'm not sure where you're going with the comment on amusement parks?

I apologize. Upon re-reading my answer I wasn't clear enough there. My point was that those other areas use metal detectors and bag searches. These are a much different, and less invasive type of search that I feel probably does pass the 4th amendment "smell" test.

I specifically picked on amusement parks because they are not privately owned, thus not subject to all standards our gov't is. Privately owned facilities have much broader lee way in setting up admittance rules than a gov't owned facility. TSA searches may well meet our legal standards there, because they are not being imposed on us by the gov't. Your other examples, schools, sports arenas, and courthouses tend to be owned by Uncle Sam or his close relative, Stanley State. They have to follow tighter standards then privately owned facilities.

I love how this is considered "breaking news" :)
With plenty of followups!

Next time I'm standing in the passenger-screening line I'll try to decide how many of these people I want to see standing around in their Speedos and bikinis...

.. I'll try to decide how many of these people I want to see standing around in their Speedos and bikinis...
That's it! No more air travel for me. It's all RV'in from now on.

I read that that RV'ers are next to be subjected to full body scans and pat-downs at roving checkpoints around the US.

Get within a hundred miles of the country's perimeter and you are so subject. See an earlier post regarding th government's assertion that that 100 mile buffer is all "border" and within their control for seriously reduced 4th amendment rights.

Get within a hundred miles of the country's perimeter and you are so subject. See an earlier post regarding th government's assertion that that 100 mile buffer is all "border" and within their control for seriously reduced 4th amendment rights.
I live within 20 miles of the Canadian border and will not be surrendering any of my rights.

I have to agree with this. I've been to many places in the world and currently don't have an overseas place I want to visit.
3rd world countries are all looking alike and the tourist traps in all countries have become tiresome.
I don't know if this is being jaded, aging or just 'been there and seen it'.
Currently, I see my RVing being focused in the USA and Canada.

I have to agree with this. I've been to many places in the world and currently don't have an overseas place I want to visit.
3rd world countries are all looking alike and the tourist traps in all countries have become tiresome.
I don't know if this is being jaded, aging or just 'been there and seen it'.
Currently, I see my RVing being focused in the USA and Canada.

+1

And I thought it was just me.

+2 This is exactly how I feel about traveling overseas. I went to so many different countries with my family when I was young, that I really have no desire to travel overseas any more.

I don't have or want an RV (yet! :LOL:), but I enjoy our trips by car. Barring an emergency I do not have any reason or desire to fly. This is especially true given the recent scope&grope procedures. :rolleyes:

Hey, since we are all talking RV now, I recall that our recent 1-month RV trip was the longest travel we have ever done. And you know what? It was the only trip where at the end, we did not miss home and wanted to keep goin'.

I don't have any plans to buy an RV but with the hassle that flying has become, I sometimes think (or am I only fantasizing?) about doing all my traveling on the train after I graduate. I have four nieces' graduations to get to (assuming they all go to college)—two of these will be before I retire, so I won't have enough time to get there and back by rail. Then there are a couple of overseas places I'd like to go—I've never been to New Zealand, and I'd like to visit the UK again. Going to NZ would mainly be just to see the sights (although I believe I have distant relatives there), so I could think about just taking a cruise for that trip, but going to the UK I'd want to stay for a while, revisit some places I went before and some I missed the first time around, do some genealogical research, and visit my ancestress' hometown of Tavistock, which I've never seen. I don't know if there is any way other than flying to get across the ocean for that kind of a trip. Are there cruises that let you wander around on your own for a month or two, and meet the ship at a scheduled time and place for the return trip? Are there still ocean liners that sail on a schedule?

I just returned from a trip and both the airports that I flew from had the scanners but it was not a big deal . Very few people were scanned and I saw no one pulled aside for a pat down .Security moved quickly even with the busy holiday season traffic. These scanners are only at 69 airports so if you really wanted to you could avoid them but frankly I think the media has really overreacted on this issue .

TSA: Frequently Asked Questions

Back
Top Bottom