The Cheap Thrill-Airport Security Measures run Wild

Maybe the other screener was more knowledgable and knew when he saw a fake claymore... :rolleyes:

Yeah, because a fake claymore is much less likely to cause a reaction than a leather belt buckle in the shape of a pistol, or a cupcake, or playdoh. No, I suspect it was just a miss. Or maybe the other screener didn't know what a claymore was?

Yeah, because a fake claymore is much less likely to cause a reaction than a leather belt buckle in the shape of a pistol, or a cupcake, or playdoh. No, I suspect it was just a miss. Or maybe the other screener didn't know what a claymore was?

Notice the sarcastic icon next to my post:confused:

Notice the sarcastic icon next to my post:confused:

I wasn't sure that was a sarcastic icon, although I was thinking it might be. I haven't paid attention to the icons recently. But I figured even if it was sarcasm a few additional sarcastic points wouldn't be amiss.

Well I will start driving 6 hours each way rather than fly. We will see which I prefer, but I have had about enough.

Well I will start driving 6 hours each way rather than fly. We will see which I prefer, but I have had about enough.

When the scope'n'grope machines were first installed, we decided not to fly until they are removed, barring any emergency reason arising that might force us to do so. Being retired, we can do that and we haven't flown since that time.

We are more concerned about the invasion of privacy, but inept screening is also a valid reason to drive.

Had to fly to Baltimore a couple weeks ago. Got the full body scan only to then get the pat down after a tissue was detected in my pants pocket.

When they say EVERYTHING comes out of the pockets ... they mean it.

I'm with you. But be careful, the TSA is trying to get you killed.

Other passengers may substitute car travel for air travel. But this too has its consequences, since car travel is much more dangerous than air travel over all. According to the Cornell study, roughly 130 inconvenienced travelers died every three months as a result of additional traffic fatalities brought on by substituting ground transit for air transit. That’s the equivalent of four fully-loaded Boeing 737s crashing each year.

From The Hidden Costs of Extra Security - NYTimes.com

Also, they're not satisfied with just making airports unbearable in the name of security theater, they want to take their show on the road.

News Release April 13, 2012

And

TSA VIPR teams—for Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response—conducted over 9,300 random searches in 2011, on cruise ships, at NASCAR races, on buses, and at train stations.

You can run, but you can't hide. At least not in the land of the free.

I don't get the train station gig. Only a dumb terrorist would choose a station.

I wonder if many of the searches of vehicles aren't for drug interdiction.

Last edited:
I don't get the train station gig. Only a dumb terrorist would choose a station.

You are assuming they are trying to increase safety, as opposed to appearing to increase safety. Also, I think there's a power aspect to it. As in, let's get as big as we can, take over as much territory as we can, and get some serious job security going. Sadly personal liberty gets it in the @ss in the process.

Clearly the terrorists have already won. We get irritated at the folks "protecting" us more than we do at the reason we are being "protected". I'm not suggesting I have the answers, but I think it's obvious that the folks we pay to protect us don't have much clue either. YMMV

Those of you who drive to avoid the "problem" are lucky indeed. Once I reach my mainland destination, I plan extensive travel. THEN I'll avoid air (and bus and train) travel until I recross the Pacific. Not many other options when it comes to vast distances over water. For those who might suggest a cruise ship, I have two words for you: Costa Concordia. Actually, I have no idea if there are any cruise lines making scheduled visits to the Islands. I know there are always one or two lines in and out of the harbor for the rambling and gambling set. I just don't think they actually "go" anywhere. YMMV

Train stations are the entry point for train bombings, though:

2006 Mumbai train bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 11 July 2006 Mumbai train bombings were a series of seven bomb blasts that took place over a period of 11 minutes on the Suburban Railway in Mumbai, the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra and the nation's financial capital. The bombs were set off in pressure cookers on trains plying the Western line of the Suburban Railway network. 209 people were killed and over 700 were injured.

TSA VIPR teams—for Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response—conducted over 9,300 random searches in 2011, on cruise ships, at NASCAR races, on buses, and at train stations.
Gotta love the acronym. You can just see some bunch of wannabe soldiers sitting around trying to come up with a cool name. "How about VIPER teams?" "Yeah, cool! Now all we need is to expand the acronym". See also "USA PATRIOT Act" ("Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism").

In the UK, the government emergency [-]underwear changing station[/-] response office is named after the #1 meeting room of the Cabinet Office. That's "Cabinet Office Briefing Room A" or COBRA. Hey, let's have a COBRA meeting. That sound you can hear is the frightened terrorists' teeth chattering, Scooby-Doo style.

team searched all the folks getting OFF the train here:

This one made my blood boil .... talk about illeagal search and seizure. Need a team of lawyers for a class action suit ... else this crap will never end.

There is no apology that can be accepted for this violation of the Constitution.

I flew home last night via an airport that uses contractors rather than the Testicle Search Administration to do security. Far more professional and respectful than the TSA.

To make a snarky comment about those TSA x-ray machines is sooo tempting...

To make a snarky comment about those TSA x-ray machines is sooo tempting...
Actually, I wonder if those machines are used as frequent as most expect them to be.

As an example, DW/me flew from Newark to San Fran, and on to Maui two weeks ago, with nothing more than a normal "belt scan".

The same was on the return trip, this past Monday.

Even though most of our travel is to ex-US locations several times a year, we have yet to go through a "body scanner", even though they have been in use for more than a couple years.

Just reflecting on our experience...

I don't mind the concept of a TSA, my complaint is about their 'theater', how they accomplish their mission. You don't see that nonsense from their Israeli counterparts.

Couple weeks ago DW and I flew to Chicago. I was prepared to set off the alarms with my knee replacement and large stent in my abdominal aorta. The ID cards I carry for that purpose were ready. At our airport in Tampa I was surprised they had the latest and greatest full body scanners. I was also surprised they made us take off our shoes as I thought they had suspended that part of the check. Anyway, no alarms went off and everything went well. On the return trip from O'Hare, I again had the ID cards ready. No full body scanners which surprised me. I set off the alarms and I had to step off to the side for the pat down. Got my cards out for the agents but they didn't care to review them. They called a supervisor for this search. Offered to show him the ID cards and he didn't care to see them. Wanted to know if I wanted a private screening or if it could be done right there, which is what I opted for. The pat down was no big deal and didn't feel it was anything to get upset about. I just don't know how anyone could object to this search if they are all done as mine was. I say no big deal.

JOHNNIE36 said:
The pat down was no big deal and didn't feel it was anything to get upset about. I just don't know how anyone could object to this search if they are all done as mine was. I say no big deal.

Alas, they are very inconsistent. There appear to be some significant training problems.

Several years ago I drove a car down to San Diego for my son to use while in college. I was flying home, that is, one way and not a round trip, as an unaccompanied male. That appeared sufficient to put a SSSS on my boarding pass. At Gate 1 at San Diego International, I was pulled aside for the secondary screening. Shoes and belt in the bin, empty pockets, stand on the painted footprints, arms out. The usual drill, while the rest of the passengers board the plane and wonder about the suspicious person.

There's a TSA agent in front of my going through my carry on bag, and another behind me with that big metal detector wand. Now, I've lost about 35 pounds from the previous year at this point in time, so my clothes are sort of loose. Sure enough, after holding "the position" for a little while with no belt, my pants start to slip. The agent in front of me shouts "Pull your pants up!", and I lower my arms towards my pants. The agent behind me hits my side, on the rib cage using the metal detector wand as a club, and shouts "Arms out!". My pants fall to the floor. Both agents start screaming, and I'm struck in the back with the metal detector wand. I don't dare move, as I've already been struck twice, and I don't know if one of the other agents in the area might have a weapon aimed at me.

Finally the agent in front of me says I can go, so I look around, see that nobody is ready to whack me again, pull up my pants, grab my shoes and bag and run for the plane in my socks. The ground crew has already removed the rear stairs, but the front stairs are still there and the door is open. (Gate 1 didn't have a jetway. It's an old school, walk on the field to the plane gate.). I left my belt at the gate with the TSA professionals.

If anyone wonders why I have a poor opinion of the TSA, this is the reason why.

Alas, they are very inconsistent. There appear to be some significant training problems.

Several years ago I drove a car down to San Diego for my son to use while in college. I was flying home, that is, one way and not a round trip, as an unaccompanied male. That appeared sufficient to put a SSSS on my boarding pass. At Gate 1 at San Diego International, I was pulled aside for the secondary screening. Shoes and belt in the bin, empty pockets, stand on the painted footprints, arms out. The usual drill, while the rest of the passengers board the plane and wonder about the suspicious person.

There's a TSA agent in front of my going through my carry on bag, and another behind me with that big metal detector wand. Now, I've lost about 35 pounds from the previous year at this point in time, so my clothes are sort of loose. Sure enough, after holding "the position" for a little while with no belt, my pants start to slip. The agent in front of me shouts "Pull your pants up!", and I lower my arms towards my pants. The agent behind me hits my side, on the rib cage using the metal detector wand as a club, and shouts "Arms out!". My pants fall to the floor. Both agents start screaming, and I'm struck in the back with the metal detector wand. I don't dare move, as I've already been struck twice, and I don't know if one of the other agents in the area might have a weapon aimed at me.

Finally the agent in front of me says I can go, so I look around, see that nobody is ready to whack me again, pull up my pants, grab my shoes and bag and run for the plane in my socks. The ground crew has already removed the rear stairs, but the front stairs are still there and the door is open. (Gate 1 didn't have a jetway. It's an old school, walk on the field to the plane gate.). I left my belt at the gate with the TSA professionals.

If anyone wonders why I have a poor opinion of the TSA, this is the reason why.
You should have gotten their names and charged them with assault and battery.

Back
Top Bottom