The Cheap Thrill-Airport Security Measures run Wild

Flying has become a major hassle not to mention the fear of terrorism. I see some opportunities for enterprising companies involved in alternative forms of travel. I'm guessing car and RVs will gain in popularity. Travel by boat, bus and trains too...at least until the security surrounding these forms of travel is elevated to the level in airports.

IMHO:

Attachments

• tsa-bozo.png
    tsa-bozo.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you M Paquette for this careful assessment.

I won't even get dental x-rays unless I have a symptom, and only then of that region. They can feel away, I am more comfortable with idiots than with radiation.

My guess is that this issue will not easily blow over. Perhaps 50% of traverlers are women, women are both health conscious and also have a pretty clear sense of personal space violations. I can imagine some mother who shows up with her 13 year old daughter. The girl has needed radiation for medical treatment recently, so her cumulative dose is climbing. What will Mom do?

Stay tuned.
Ha

Uh yeah, +1 anxious mother here! my darlin had a CT scan earlier this year and I'd much rather her not get anything else scanned for casual stuff. Her dentist assistant wanted to do xrays on her follow up visit to check teeth that were growing in - and she had just had her semi-annual check up about 1.5 months earlier - I explained to her that she won't be having them - dental assistant said, oh, it's hardly any radiation. I explained to her, "that's nice, my daughter has had enough cumulatively..." she had no idea what to do" I told her - I'm sure her dentist can simply look in her mouth... :nonono: Later, dentist looks in her mouth, says she's fine...no teeth pulled, no xray needed... :cool:

I find it ironic that what might finally scupper this ludicrous, ever-escalating series of security measures against the statistically insignificant threat of being killed by terrorists, is public anxiety over the statistically more or less equally insignificant threat of cancer from a backscatter scan. Both are roughly as likely as dying during a one-minute automobile ride.(*)

Or, as a headline-without-article in The Onion put it a few years ago, "Lottery customer concerned by threat of asteroid impact". :rolleyes:

(*) In other news, the One. Millionth. Person to be killed in road accidents worldwide this year, was last month. Worldometers - real time world statistics

I had trouble with TSA in FLL when flying with my (then) collage age daughter. A couple of male agents wanted to take her behind a separate sectioned area for additional screening. I objected and insisted a female agent conduct any screening. I never lost my temper or said anything inappropriate (I did raise my voice) but absolutely insisted on female security. Things got tense, I was pushed and threatened with arrest. A supervisor finally showed up, asked a female agent to screen my daughter, and lectured me on how fortunate I was to be allowed to return home instead of jail – on a later flight.

These security procedures are out of control. We enjoy a lower risk for a few hours but neither passengers not anyone else in the US are at any less risk overall. I suspect the money spent could have a greater effect if allocated to other aspects of US security.

I quit flying several years ago. I prefer trains or my car.

These security procedures are out of control. We enjoy a lower risk for a few hours but neither passengers not anyone else in the US are at any less risk overall. I suspect the money spent could have a greater effect if allocated to other aspects of US security.

I am not at all sure that the current whole body scans or intensive frisking are having any actual impact on the risk level of air travel.

The biggest risk reduction, admittedly based on anecdotal evidence, would appear to be from the use of armored, locked cockpit doors, combined with increased passenger awareness and willingness to intervene in suspicious on-board behavior. This would appear to be far more effective than spending hundreds of millions of dollars to embarrass and inconvenience air travelers further using methods of questionable usefulness.

EU/US/FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM : UNDERWEAR BOMBER COULD HAVE EVADED FULL BODY SCANNER | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com
In a discussion on deploying full body scanners, an issue the EU is also debating, a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official admitted the bomber, who hid explosives in his underwear, could have gotten past security even if subjected to a full body scan. "We cannot say with certainty that we would have found it," the DHS' Patricia Cogswell told Democratic Congressman Bobby Scott (Virginia) at the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, on 24 March.

The machines only scan... um... skin deep. The same methods criminals have used to smuggle weapons, drugs, and cell phones in prison could be used to hide hazardous materials.

Each machine purchased requires a local operator, a remote operator to examine the image, and of course support and maintenance. These funds could have easily paid for a trained dog and handler, for example.

Hmm... I wonder if I've posted enough on this to make the No Fly list yet?

I don't quite think you are at that level. Just the "full body cavity search" list at this point.

The machines only scan... um... skin deep. The same methods criminals have used to smuggle weapons, drugs, and cell phones in prison could be used to hide hazardous materials...................

So the question is how much plastic explosive can a terrorist shove up their......uh...you know...........:blush:

And what will the TSA do to screen us for that? :confused:

I had trouble with TSA in FLL when flying with my (then) collage age daughter. A couple of male agents wanted to take her behind a separate sectioned area for additional screening. I objected and insisted a female agent conduct any screening. I never lost my temper or said anything inappropriate (I did raise my voice) but absolutely insisted on female security. Things got tense, I was pushed and threatened with arrest. A supervisor finally showed up, asked a female agent to screen my daughter, and lectured me on how fortunate I was to be allowed to return home instead of jail – on a later flight.

That's what scares me the most. We can put up with the less intrusive (if you can call it that) scan, but in their opinion, they can say additional screening in needed. In a perfect world, they are just doing their job. But this screening stuff reeks with privacy violation for the sake of safety.

.... Things got tense, I was pushed and threatened with arrest. A supervisor finally showed up, asked a female agent to screen my daughter, and lectured me on how fortunate I was to be allowed to return home instead of jail – on a later flight.

The TSA folks don't seem to be on the same page with the existing more minor procedures. In MichaelB's daughter's case, the procedures say: "If you are asked to undergo a personal screening you will be provided a security officer of the same gender except in extraordinary circumstances. In some cases you may have to wait for a security officer of your gender to conduct the screening. You will be advised if the wait will be more than a few minutes."
(TSA: The Screening Process)

But the supervisor can always claim there were the undefined extraordinary circumstances. And threaten arrest, apparently.

If TSA were to do Israeli style behavior observation based on profiling, what would all the Police dept. rejects do for a living? The well established and obviously successful Israeli profiling method takes skill and fast ability to process behavior information into a further interview go/no go decision.

It does not take much brain power to look stern and direct people to step into the machine and give the order to put 'em up an spread em.

If they are to continue, the pat down/feel ups could be better done by blind people. Hightened senses they have. Besides the physical contact, persons under high stress emit unique chemicals/odors not present in normal or slightly stressed individuals. The few totally blind people I've known had remarkable olfactory auditory and tactile skills.

That's what scares me the most. We can put up with the less intrusive (if you can call it that) scan, but in their opinion, they can say additional screening in needed. In a perfect world, they are just doing their job. But this screening stuff reeks with privacy violation for the sake of safety.

And that's only if they bother to follow their own rules and guidelines. Unfortunately, the TSA is a fairly ineffective organization, with poor leadership and reactive, rather than proactive policies. Combining this with the fairly high annual turnover of front line employees (20%), the use of 'secret' procedures, and the attraction that wearing a uniform and being in a position of coercive authority over others has for certain people, and you have a recipe for a disaster where that front line contacts the public.

Most police and sheriff departments follow IACP guidelines in psychological screening as part of hiring new officers, as hiring the 'wrong' person can be a serious problem for a department from a morale, legal, and public relations angle. That is, you really don't want to hire someone who wants to be an officer for all the wrong reasons.

The TSA doesn't apply quite the same standards to it's hiring practices (no psychology screen beyond the aptitude test). As a result, the organization is attractive to the folks that are drawn to wearing a uniform and being in a position of authority over others. These folks get hired, along with some other perfectly fine folks, and put on the front line in contact with the public.

The TSA does track violence in the workplace as of late 2007. Now, you'd think that with all those millions of passengers that you'd see the odd violent episode break out.
(Agency spokeswoman Kristin) Lee said attacks and threats against screeners are “rare” and the database has records from about 240 incidents. Most are screeners in conflict with other screeners. About 30 incidents involve people such as passengers or airport workers attacking or threatening screeners, Lee said.
Seven out of eight incidents are between TSA employees.

TSA has hired quite a variety of interesting folks. These folks may not behave as well as one might expect. One might try to say that a few bad apples can be expected in any organization, but that's really just a case of slothful induction, as the organization is inadvertently designed to be a magnet for such people.

The most dangerous people you encounter during your aviation experience may be the ones in TSA uniforms.

Unfortunately, the TSA has all the power, even if, ultimately, you could "win" in this situation. They can in fact deny you boarding a plane for no particular reason other than they get pi$$ed at you for showing any resistance. If you had been arrested, i'm certain you could eventually be vindicated - but at what cost? It seems obvious that this has become a power play and all the stops will be pulled out to force us all into the sheep chutes to the jet way. I've heard that the "don't touch my junk" guy may be assessed a fine for his comment. How you could infer that he broke a law, I don't know, but that doesn't prevent TSA (et., Al) from pressubg the issue to thwart future push-back.

I'm guessing that this will all come to a head, sooner, rather than later - perhaps as early as the TG holiday rush. How it plays out will set the stage for the way things are done in the future. If enough folks are willing to push back, things will change. Otherwise, the virtual strip search or the molestation will become SOP and be enforced with draconian methods.

We all want to be safe, but it's clear that the typical governmental response is in play here. Gag at a gnat (back-scatter X ray vs touching the junk) but swallow a camel (apparently, exempting certain religious "orders" from either of these invasive screenings.)

Don't know how this will play out, but I do believe it is up to the flying public which way it will come out. Can you imagine if 25% of folks cancelled their holiday travel plans in protest? The air carriers would do the rest and this would all be a bad memory by 2011. My guess is that folks will eventually just submit, as they usually do to other government intrusions. As always, we have the ultimate power over how our gummint treats us. We get the treatment we deserve.

Wonder if "don't touch my junk" will become the new "don't tase me bro!".

Sadly, the "don't touch my junk" situation reminds me of when I was in a Catholic grade school. Because the boys were making too much noise during recess while in the bathroom, the nuns would come walking in and not caring at all if we were using the bathroom and showing our junk at the time. In their minds, the nuns weren't doing anything wrong as they were just enforcing the rules.

How's that go again? Oh yeah...

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson

My husband has artificial knees, the frisk is his only option when flying. We just moved and he went to get a physical from a new (to him) physician. After that and reading about the new procedure he commented that TSA will feel him in places his physician didn't touch.

IMHO, this is much TOO MUCH!

So the question is how much plastic explosive can a terrorist shove up their......uh...you know...........:blush:

And what will the TSA do to screen us for that? :confused:

When the TSA agent is waving me to a private room with a latex glove on one hand and a tube-a-lube in the other hand, I'll know that my air travel days are over :eek:

To be continued I'm sure with Thanksgiving coming up. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out...

Maybe we should flood Youtube with a video of "Leave my Junk Alone..." instead of "Leave Brittany Alone.." :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom