The Cheap Thrill-Airport Security Measures run Wild

Them 18 month old babies would be my top suspects. Take them all off planes, interrogate them, put them on no-fly lists, and the world is a safer place. Thanks Janet.

Them 18 month old babies would be my top suspects. Take them all off planes, interrogate them, put them on no-fly lists, and the world is a safer place. Thanks Janet.

Weapons of Messy Diapers

Weapons of Messy Diapers
"Government regulations prohibit tampering with WMD detectors in the lavatories, ...".

"Ladies and gentlemen, at this time all cell phones and portable electronic devises should be turned off. Please insure your seatback trays are in their upright and locked position and for those of you traveling with an 18 month old, insert them from toe to armpits in the plastic bag provided to you at takeoff, as it is against federal regulation to poop during landing."

April Statistics On Airport Screening From The Department Of Homeland Security:

Terrorists Discovered
Transvestites
Hernias
Hemorrhoid Cases
Enlarged Prostates
Breast Implants
Natural Blondes

In addition, TSA discovered that Geraldo Rivera seems to have [-]a pair[/-] junk

*sigh*

Of course, anything that goes well has to turn messy. Now my employer is bitching about reimbursing me for milage. Hey morons: you saved at least $300 because I drove instead of flying. Tell you what, I will just stop going on business trips and save you really big money...

*sigh*

Of course, anything that goes well has to turn messy. Now my employer is bitching about reimbursing me for milage. Hey morons: you saved at least $300 because I drove instead of flying. Tell you what, I will just stop going on business trips and save you really big money...

I had a similar experience back when I was still a wage slave. I travelled on business and stayed with a relative so we could have time to visit while I was in town. Saved the company over $1K in hotel costs. When I put in the expense voucher for the trip they couldn't seem to figure out how to deal with it. At first they were insisting my cousin bill me for the room and then they could reimburse me. I finally got past it all, but it took over 3 months to resolve. Bureaucrats! And in private industry, too.

I agree with what you've said but I am not above tilting at windmills. There has to be some way to get rid of the TSA, but, short of a major change in politicians I don't know what it is. There are many examples of the sort of thugs that are part of TSA. I get the impression that it is a legal occupation for those that would otherwise be mugging people at gunpoint.
If we ever get a major change in US politics, it will be toward more governmental terrorism, not less. At least that is what history suggests.

Ha

Last edited:
*sigh*

I just retired in time so I never had to deal with the recent TSA groping and so on. All I had to do was remove my shoes, limit the size of fluid substances, remove my laptop and put it in a separate tray, and so on.

However, my agency was just as adamant about not reimbursing me for mileage. I even proved that the reimbursement (for me to drive from here to Houston, where I had to travel frequently) would be less than the cost of the airline tickets, plus they wouldn't have to provide me with a rental car.

Very annoying! And on other trips to places for which air travel was impossible, I had to drive one of their vehicles instead of my own. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine why they were so awful about this, unless they were concerned about one of those "appearance of wrongdoing" things.

Last edited:
I worked things out with my immediate boss to document savings, but it probably will eventually be problematic. They got me for well under market wage, cannot live without me and cannot replace me. It would be wise not to bust my chops. All the more so given I am fully vested at the end of next year.

TSA in the news:

They arrested a TSA Security boss at a NJ airport because he was using a dead man's idently and had been for 20 years. He was an illegal Nigerian and the dead man was his room mate back in 1992. Hmmmmm?

The TSA also gave 88 year old Henry Kissinger a complete pat down while he was in a wheel chair. HERE.

Very annoying! And on other trips to places for which air travel was impossible, I had to drive one of their vehicles instead of my own. :rolleyes:
"Back in the day", we were never allowed to use our personal cars, regardless of the length of the trip (100 or 3K miles).

It had to do with liability coverage and the fact that you may be traveling with a few company folks without having enough insurance coverage to cover any possibility.

It was not a problem at all. They had 5-10 parking spaces where rental cars (from the local airport agency) would always be available for your use. You just had to give a phone call to the on-site travel agency to arrange to have one delivered to the lot in the morning, and your personal car was watched over by building security while you were gone

"Back in the day", we were never allowed to use our personal cars, regardless of the length of the trip (100 or 3K miles).

It had to do with liability coverage and the fact that you may be traveling with a few company folks without having enough insurance coverage to cover any possibility.

I travel alone and carry a $2MM umbrella on top of my auto policy. I don't think this is an issue.

I used to complain about not getting airline miles because my new company allowed me to use the private jet. Then they forced me to fly commercial. I certainly missed showing up a 6:55 for a 7:00 departure, having someone grab my bags for me and flying direct to my obscure location. It was a full day adventure going the commercial route. And don't dare be late!

I travel alone and carry a $2MM umbrella on top of my auto policy. I don't think this is an issue.
It still can be an issue. Legally if you are traveling on official company business with your own vehicle, your employer, not you, may be liable. But if their own liability insurance does not cover their liability when you use your own vehicle, they have little option but to prohibit using your own vehicle. This may or may not apply to your employer's situation, but just because you may be willing to assume liability doesn't mean the legal system will transfer it or that anyone hurt will go after you instead of the deeper pockets of your employer.

It still can be an issue. Legally if you are traveling on official company business with your own vehicle, your employer, not you, may be liable. But if their own liability insurance does not cover their liability when you use your own vehicle, they have little option but to prohibit using your own vehicle. This may or may not apply to your employer's situation, but just because you may be willing to assume liability doesn't mean the legal system will transfer it or that anyone hurt will go after you instead of the deeper pockets of your employer.

In fact, there would be so many layers of insurance coverage that the biggest fight would be over who ends up picking up what. This is just another control mechanism to infantilize employees.

Not reimbursing for mileage shows an absence of common sense, but also a certain lack of intelligent leadership. Even if the staff attorneys have advised to the potential for liability a line executve should thank him or her and then include personal car reimbursement anyway.

Another update. Looks like those TSA agents looking for cheap thrills will need to look elsewhere.
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration will remove airport body scanners that privacy advocates likened to strip searches after OSI Systems Inc. (OSIS) couldn’t write software to make passenger images less revealing.
TSA will end a $5 million contract with OSI’s Rapiscan unit for the software after Administrator John Pistole concluded the company couldn’t meet a congressional deadline to produce generic passenger images, agency officials said in interviews. Naked-Image Scanners to Be Removed From U.S. Airports - Bloomberg
Here's info on the new scanners Scanning the Scanners: A Side-by-Side Comparison - ProPublica

Back
Top Bottom