Join Early Retirement Today

The Christmas Tree
Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

The Christmas Tree

It has been years since we had a real Christmas tree, so when I saw this:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ree-2018-11-13
At $81.00 it was a bit of a shock, as I remember paying about $3 to $5.

Look around, I found that you can buy an artificial tree for up to about $1999.00, but that doesn't begin to compare with the Abu Dhabi Emirates Palace tree that is said to cost $11 million.
https://www.arabianbusiness.com/abu-...ee-368303.html

Gives new meaning to LBYM.

Take a look at Amazon... (prices high to low). Good deal with Amazon's guaranteed 30 day return policy..

Any stories you'd like to share?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't have a Christmas tree this year. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling from them anymore. When I saw the one at the market today, it looked thrown together quickly to fit the season. It feels forced. Maybe the news does not make me feel in the holiday spirit.

Call me scrooge, but I'm going to be nicer and pay attention to people. If they look sad, I'm going to reach out. I usually try to be that way: but this season has lost its luster with me. I just don't buy into it anymore.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
At $81.00 it was a bit of a shock, as I remember paying about $3 to $5.
What were you driving at the time, a Model T Ford?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is a northerner and insists on buying the real deal from a tree farm every year. What is it with you northerners and your trees??

I secretly love it. The enthusiasm is contagious. Every year I feel like we’re the Griswolds.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDub View Post
DW is a northerner and insists on buying the real deal from a tree farm every year. What is it with you northerners and your trees??

I secretly love it. The enthusiasm is contagious. Every year I feel like we’re the Griswolds.
When the kids were young, getting the Christmas tree was a full afternoon "event". Drive to the local tree farm. Walk around with a saw and tape measure and select a tree.. preferably as close to 11' as possible since the peak of the great room was 12'... saw it down... drag it to the parking lot (or preferably have it dragged by the farm tractor to the parking lot)... put it on top of the car (or later and a lot easier, in the truck)... drive home without losing it off the top of the car (had at least one close call)... bring it in the house without wrecking much... then enjoy a well-deserved hot chocolate together. Elapsed time... 2-4 hours.

Today... take it out of the closet and put it up... elasped time.. 5 minutes!

I'll admit to missing the former though.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

We still get a live tree just a smaller tree than we used to get . They are usually around $40 or less at Home Depot . I am sure our tree days are numbered .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

DW still loves to have a tree in the living room (sigh), but she found one that only takes up half the usual floor space so it fits well in our condo. It's called a flatback tree and it goes right up against the wall. Still in great shape after five years and looks like it will last.

Here's an example:
Flatback tree

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 4.43.40 PM.png
Old 11-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

We shifted to an artificial tree early on in our married life. The thought of bringing a bug infested fire stick into the house didn’t appeal to me after our first year together. Plus, even at $40, an artificial tree has a good chance of paying for itself. They look so much better these days that I’m very satisfied with the look. BTW, a tree as full and as tall as our artificial tree wold be much more than $40. Probably closer to $100. DW is decorating ours now. I put it up Saturday.

If it were up to me, I’d have a couple small table top trees and call it good.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
....It's called a flatback tree and it goes right up against the wall. ...
Your flatback tree reminded me of something. The 11' tree that we liked to get was against a ~6' wide wall that separated our living room from our kitchen. We were concerned with that tall a tree that the kids might get into it or the cats, so I ended up wiring it to the wall so that it wouldn't tip over.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny story, years ago I went to a tree farm and bought a nice tree for $20. My dad was with me and being a cheapskate, told the salesman he only wanted a 3' tree. The guy wacked off the top 3' of a $20 tree and charged my dad $20!
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

That is funny!

Old 11-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We have a real Christmas tree if we’ll be home on Christmas—have never owned an artificial one. Finding a couple of needles hiding under a rug or behind a piece of furniture in July always makes me smile.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #13

We still buy a "real" tree every year and love it. As we travel we make a point to buy an ornament as a souvenir, so decorating the tree lets us review fond memories.

We like to get our tree around the end of the first week of December but it's getting harder to do that. A few years ago we went to Lowe's only to find they were completely sold out and had no plans to get any more. This year I saw some cut trees at Food Lion two weeks before Thanksgiving! How do they expect people to keep a tree fresh that's going to be six weeks old at New Year's?

As a former fire protection engineer, I would like to remind people to keep their natural trees watered:

GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What were you driving at the time, a Model T Ford?
Probably 1964... We were driving a 53 Nash Rambler or a 1954 Renault Dauphine. We're into classic cars.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I have a Christmas tree story...

My SIL and BIL were a classic pair. Way back into the '70's, we all lived on Cape Cod and lived a fun, creative life. Gordon had a great job selling school books to schools and had taken a year to sell a multi million dollar contract to the Boston School District. The then first lady mayor of Boston cancelled the sale and cost Gordon a $75K commission. They moved to PEI to start a new life, and bought some waterfront property for $13K... 12 acres of trees.

The story: Christmas Trees on the Cape

We weren't there, but , yeah... we were, when we heard about the great Christmas Tree Caper. Our version: They had just bought on PEI, and decided to make a killing selling Xmas trees on the main Route 28 on Cape Cod. Bought a truck... and up to the PEI property to cut trees and bring them back to sell. Stopped at the border because they had no permit to bring in trees to the US. Came back, bought trees in Maine and back to the rented land on Rte.28 to sell them... Gordon the salesman and Les in a Santa Suit waving the motorists in to buy. Toward the end, (as the story goes) only junk trees left, which had been thrown down the hill in the back. Leslie waves in a couple, with a young boy. As they look over the poor quality trees that are left, Gordon brings the little boy down the hill to show him the "poor little Christmas tree that wouldn't have a home for Christmas". Enuf said... Gordon... salesman extraordinaire.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #16

Artificial triplets.
4' in the family room on top of the fish tank/coffee table (rich folks have aquariums, we have a fish tank).
2' in the den (now fashionably referred to as a man cave, but ours shall remain a den).
1' on the dining table.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have a artificial tree that is a foot tall. We downsized the tree this year)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We like to keep our place uncluttered and uncomplicated to allow for spontaneity, travel, whatever, that geezers are entitled to. But we still love traditional stuff too...... So we do the traditional things with the kids and grandkids keeping our own home pretty much unburdened with holiday "stuff."

The kids live about a half hour from us and lead very busy lives with two working parents and 17, 16 and 13 year old youngin's. At Thanksgiving, DW and I do the grocery shopping and meal planning even using their kitchen to do prep work the day before (while they're all at work and school). For Christmas, we take the grandkids to buy a real tree, do the decorating with them and organize a lot of the activities and holiday meals.

At our house? A wreath on the door and a few strands of lights thrown out on the evergreens in front of the house. Simple........ And little to do to "de-holidaze" the place before we leave for Florida in mid-January. Yet, we're fully immersed in the whole family, holiday experience which we love.

It seems to be a win-win for us and the kids.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When our kids where in the scouts, their troop used to sell trees that is where we got them from. After that, we'd go and cut our Christmas tree for many years. There are 2 tree farms within 5 miles of where we live, and a couple of friends lived on properties that had many pine trees and would invite us to come by and cut one down if we wanted to.

Once the kids got too old for this and/or began moving out, Dw and I decided the two of us were too old for the cut your old tree process and bought an artificial tree that has stayed in good shape for close to 10 years. But we will still go to the nearby tree farms for an evening on walking through the trees, watching other families cut trees down, drink hot cocoa/cider, maybe by a few wreaths, and just enjoy the evening.

Now that I have extra time I am debating getting a couple of small artificial trees for the family room and my man cave area. We already have lots of extra ornaments and light strands accumulated over the years.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We had to cut this Christmas tree down, planted by original house owner 50 years ago. Felt bad to cut it down, but was at risk of hitting the house during a storm.

Not sure why it shows up sideways in the reply, but if you select the pic, it shows up correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (517.3 KB, 81 views)
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote