Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a nice couple weeks, stayed w*rking but... Despite my manager not removing my root level security I refused to make any system changes. Used word and email only.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Don't say anything negative, there is nothing to be gained. Just smile broadly as you walk out the door.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

On my last day there was nobody in the office as usual. One of the sales guys drove me home.

No biggie.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

No danger, but a long experience. Two years of shutting down 2400 sales units... 1984-1985. Office in Chicago, flying to every state except Nebraska... sometimes away from home for a few weeks at a time.
It was sadness, instead of danger, 'cuz I was going through the notification process, with many, many people I had worked with over 20 years. Lots of mom and pop operations, and about 500 company catalog stores, with 5 to 20 employees. Many of these people I had hired along the way.

The only saving grace was that when all of the store were closed, I'd be out of a job. Knew that from day 1. Lots of emotion, but it was done by choice. Hearing the news from a friend was easier than just getting a phone call or a notice from headquarters. The best part was where the mom and pop operations meant changing a lifestyle at a mostly later age, I was able to help relocate many of these couples with letters of recommendation, or resettling them in an allied profession.

The 2 years gave me time to plan and operate my own business, and...meant no more commute into Chicago.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I let my boss and a couple practice leaders who I regularly did work for that I planned to leave in early November and said that I was flexible on the timing and wanted to leave in a way that we all could be happy with. From there we just worked out a date and exit plan. As it worked out I had a lot of projects that were wrapping up and for those that would extend beyond when I would be there we transitioned them to other people.

I stopped working in late December and was "on vacation" other than to respond to some occasional emails or phone calls. My last day on payroll was the following February 1 as I recall... that resulted in my being on their health plan through the end of February.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
The dangers of ‘checking out’
Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The dangers of ‘checking out’

Checking out to me means “i am soo ready to be done” I will not
Say anything negative to anyone - not my style
Not finish my work - again not my style
As to training anyone I cant teach what took me so many years to learn. Though I’ve tried.

We are a big group they managed before I came I suspect they will be just fine after I’m gone
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well, your attitude is certainly already out the door.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote