Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Dark Side Of Early Retirement
Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Dark Side Of Early Retirement

Quote:
Yours truly wishes to finish up no later than 45, as I believe working for 20 or so years is a long enough time. I’ve done the math with various living and return scenarios and it can be done. But the question is whether it’s a good idea? Perhaps not.
The Dark Side Of Early Retirement | Financial Samurai
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The article lists the following "dangers of early retirement":

1) Oops, you change your mind.
2) You run out of money.
3) You lose touch with friends and family.
4) You may find it difficult to start your own family.
5) You lose your own self-respect, and the respect of others.

This is followed by sections entitled "Careful who you listen to" (we ER's are dangerous folks, crooning a siren song to recruit the innocent, dontcha know), and "Early Retirement is Selfish".

Not exactly the type of article that would go over big on this board, I suspect...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh...it's all about what makes you happy. If you're not happy, fix it.

Meanwhile here's another tune....

Old 12-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Why did the author put a question mark at the end of "But the question is whether it’s a good idea" (which is not a question)?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Another "dark side" of ER is that it leads to short attention spans and a lack of corporate memory:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-er-50019.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Interesting read, I like to hear all points of view...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
short attention spans and a lack of corporate memory
Oops.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Oops.
Hey, I started that previous thread, but when I read this thread I didn't remember any of it until I came across the notorious troll's comments...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
This song is downright tragic.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #11

The article started out rationally enough. The author pointed out that, yes, skills do get rusty, social ties with one's old social circle do get difficult get to maintain. I noticed that latter point just on vacation. I'm off between Christmas and New Years, but a lot of my friends aren't, so I'm getting no responses to some of my emails. However, a vacation is not like ER or Lifestyle Design where there is sufficient time to pick up a new hobby with a new social circle. Still, what the author pointed out are valid concerns.

Where he lost me completely was at the selfish argument. I wish a few of my co-workers would be a little more selfish and spend a little more time analyzing what makes them such miserable human beings who insist on contaminating their surroundings with negative energy. There is an old Chinese proverb that states, "To rule your country, you must first rule your family, and to rule your family, you must first rule yourself." Instead of running around the world worrying about earning other people's respect through outwardly selfless acts, a lot of folks could use a bit of time to make sure that they are happy with themselves first. Then they can contribute immediately to the greater good by stop being assholes.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
"Is That All There Is?"....a personal favourite of mine. Last year I heard it lip synced numerous times in a blood (fake) stained bar by a guy in a tuxedo playing one of the witches from MacBeth
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
The article started out rationally enough. The author pointed out that, yes, skills do get rusty, social ties with one's old social circle does get difficult get to maintain. I noticed that latter point just on vacation. I'm off between Christmas and New Years, but a lot of my friends aren't, so I'm getting no responses to some of my emails. However, a vacation is not like ER or Lifestyle Design where there is sufficient time to pick up a new hobby with a new social circle. Still, what the author pointed out are valid concerns.
If you are young, it is hard to replace your work social life. People employ various strategies which IMO are not exactly replacements-hobby or club affiliations, and an SO. Also, classes, book clubs. From my experience, all these places are easy to use for date/mate hunting, but not that easy to use for finding same sex friends. If you are a really good snow boarder or similar, and you have a car there should be fairly easy same sex friendships.

Most younger people have plenty friends from work. What are usually in flux is boy/girl activities, so that is where most of the low hanging fruit is found. But this is not completely without its own set of difficulties.

Young people seem to have 2 things on their minds- career and getting laid. There often is not a lot of time or life bandwidth to broaden much beyond these preoccupations.

Ha
Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Spoken like a man that has to go to work tomorrow.

He missed one good reason... because I can afford to FIRE. Tired of the old gig... time to try something different!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Young people seem to have 2 things on their minds- career and getting laid.
That describes the young me exactly. Except for the career part.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you are young, it is hard to replace your work social life. People employ various strategies which IMO are not exactly replacements-hobby or club affiliations, and an SO. Also, classes, book clubs. From my experience, all these places are easy to use for date/mate hunting, but not that easy to use for finding same sex friends. If you are a really good snow boarder or similar, and you have a car there should be fairly easy same sex friendships.

Most younger people have plenty friends from work. What are usually in flux is boy/girl stuff, so that is where most of the low hanging fruit is found. But this is not completely without its own set of difficulties.

Young people seem to have 2 things on their minds- career and getting laid. There often is not a lot of time or life bandwidth to broaden much beyond these preoccupations.

Ha
I find that most of my guy friends I meet through the kinds of activities that you would term mate hunting activities. I suppose there is enough of a comrades in arms mentality that we guys get to bond through our, ahem, strike outs. LOL. There is also enough experience with the guys my age (late 30s to late 40s) that we realize that the prize isn't worth hurting our male friendships. However, I find work male friends are competing for real, immediate payouts that I tend to keep them only as work friends. I only let in a few to my social life after they have proven cool enough to be both work and social friends.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Where he lost me completely was at the selfish argument.
He did such an outstanding devil's-advocate job in the article that most readers missed the irony & sarcasm.

I think he also did a great job of shutting down H0ku$ in mid-rant...

Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish a few of my co-workers would be a little more selfish and spend a little more time analyzing what makes them such miserable human beings who insist on contaminating their surroundings with negative energy. There is an old Chinese proverb that states, "To rule your country, you must first rule your family, and to rule your family, you must first rule yourself." Instead of running around the world worrying about earning other people's respect through outwardly selfless acts, a lot of folks could use a bit of time to make sure that they are happy with themselves first. Then they can contribute immediately to the greater good by stop being assholes.
+1

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #19

Quote:
He did such an outstanding devil's-advocate job in the article that most readers missed the irony & sarcasm.

I think he also did a great job of shutting down H0ku$ in mid-rant...
Hmm...finding that blog is like finding all your buds have other favorite drinking holes other than Cheers.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Hey, I started that previous thread, but when I read this thread I didn't remember any of it until I came across the notorious troll's comments...

Which one? :-)