The Dishwasher that Refuses to Die

Another free fix:

RqRWX6X.jpg

The rack was rusting through in places (and gave some plates permanent rust stains), so I added the rubbery green cords I happened to have in the junk box. Problem solved.

-------------

But we are getting a new fridge soon. It has more space and uses less energy than our current one.

Based on what's in your dishwasher, in my kitchen cabinets, and under RobbieB's delicacies, it appears that Corelle dishes are common to many ER members. Perhaps we need a new poll, something like

1. Still have my (or my parents') Corelle dishes, pattern___________
2. Had Corelle dishes for many years, but finally replaced them in_____ (year).
3. What's Corelle?

That individual plate in Al's dishwasher, the one with the brownish ring on the edge...we have those now and have had them since as long as I can remember.

I still have some of my ex's Correlle dishware. At the time she wanted all new stuff and gave it to me, it was a pretty big set. When DW's niece was setting up her first apartment after college she gave most of it to the niece, and this gave DW an excuse to go out and buy new dishware. We still have a few pieces, like a couple of large bowls.

I still have some of my ex's Correlle dishware. At the time she wanted all new stuff and gave it to me, it was a pretty big set. When DW's niece was setting up her first apartment after college she gave most of it to the niece, and this gave DW an excuse to go out and buy new dishware. We still have a few pieces, like a couple of large bowls.

I'm surprised your DW kept that "tainted" stuff around that long. :LOL:

Hell yeah on the Corelle! A fairly new convert here, but for easy cleaning, light weight, very compact stacking, and (most important) holding up to my dropping or smacking them into our cast iron sink - they are the bee's knees. Our cabinets are full of hand thrown dishes, WW2 Navy stuff, nice earthenware - but the Corelle is the go-to. BTW - it's not just dishes - had to message Al, 'cause I think all ER guys of a certain age look alike:

http://imgur.com/MaPDEDK

Last edited:
I'm surprised your DW kept that "tainted" stuff around that long. :LOL:

So was I, a little bit. I think we'd been married a couple of years before the discussion of the source of the dishes came up. She leans toward the pragmatic side though and just didn't see that as relevant.

Based on what's in your dishwasher, in my kitchen cabinets, and under RobbieB's delicacies, it appears that Corelle dishes are common to many ER members. Perhaps we need a new poll, something like

3. What's Corelle?

Had Corelle dishes (bought them when safeway was getting out of selling them in 1976). Only one piece has broken in the 40 years. Plus since they are plain white they work great in the microwave. Still have 4 place setting in the box that I bought in 1976. (bought them out of 3 4 place settings at the time)

I bought mine at Best Products (anyone remember them?) around 1979 or 80 I think. The pattern is "Old Town Blue." Same as RobbieB's. A couple of pieces broke and one of the medium plates is chipped.

Have a couple of other pieces from other patterns that got left at this house by someone or were picked up cleaning out tenant stuff. I think there may be a full boxed set in the storage unit in Arizona, along with all the leftover tile, carpet, and laundry appliances.

The thing with the Corelle plate is that they are resistant to breaking, but when they do break (and it's more likely when they're old), they shatter in billions and billions of little needle-like particles.

Another thing: In that picture I'm wearing my $6.95 Zenni Optical reading glasses. They're the best thing for working on projects, because you don't have to tilt your head back to see close things (as with bifocals).

I also wear them when I'll be reading for hours.

Oh yeah. One reason I'm dreading ceramic tile in the kitchen. Most of the time when I drop a dish on the (linoleum) floor it bounces.

The other times (20%) it explodes. It doesn't just break like glass, it explodes and bits go everywhere.

I'm thinking many more explosions on the harder surface.

3. What's Corelle?

Sorry but I think you should add the option of who would not be caught dead with corelle in their kitchen.

Sorry but I think you should add the option of who would not be caught dead with corelle in their kitchen.

There might be a few folks checking that box, but my guess is that the middle age and up LBYM demographic here has or had Corelle in their houses. Big time wedding present for young couples starting out in the early 80's.

I guess you all didn't get the same memo my wife got a few years back; ditch the Corelle Ware! She explained to me that food tastes much better when served on Fiesta Ware! And tasted so much better when I found out that they were all "seconds" from the factory warehouse sale!!

Ours are the plain white ones, we like them a lot. They stack efficiently, they are very hard to break, do just fine in the microwave, and --maybe this makes me a Philistine--I think they look good. Simple, uncluttered, unpretentious.

The thing with the Corelle plate is that they are resistant to breaking, but when they do break (and it's more likely when they're old), they shatter in billions and billions of little needle-like particles.

Very true. I forget how I managed to do it but I broke an item of Corelleware once and was surprised at the number of pieces. And every one of them had very sharp edges!

Back
Top Bottom