The Earnest Shackleton Expedition

A subject near and dear to my heart. Loved Endurance and have also read more than a few books on early arctic exploration. Especially interested in the Franklin expedition and the many subsequent explorations which were sent to shed light on the possible fate of the men who served on the HMS Erebus and the HMS Terror. The wood desk in the Oval Office is made from wood claimed from the HMS Resolute, which is one of the ships sent in 1850 to find the Franklin expedition. The Erebus and Terror were both recently found - the story keeps unfolding!

I enjoyed the AMC series...

And these days you can do a similar passage through the Arctic for only $24K on a cruise ship :)

new_cenamnwp1911_northwest-passage_ra_desktop710x625_uk.png

How did I miss this amazing story of survival? The Earnest Shackleton expedition to navigate the South Pole in the early 1900's. Their ship was crushed by the ice due to early cold temps and what followed was incredible. And they had a photographer on board to capture tons of film. Its about 25 minutes long but well worth the time.

I believe he spells it "Ernest"?

Visited the Fram polar ship museum in Oslo last month. Just incredible how sturdy that wooden ship was. Since it made both Arctic and Antarctic expeditions, it had to be. The crew was pretty damn tough too!
That sounds like an amazing museum. And agree about the crew - I often think that arctic explorers were like the astronauts of their time.

I enjoyed the AMC series...
Me too - even though it was a fictionalized tale, I was eagerly awaiting its release and admit I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was neat to see how they represented the ship, the arctic environment and the psychological toll that being ice-bound can bring.

Back
Top Bottom