Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We only need one car except for when DH goes to visit his fam, he could fly but prefers to drive. Picking up a rental would be a 30 mile trip.
Apparently our second ride needed to be a pickup...who knew? It gets its workout going to the transfer station every week or two. But by gum, when we need wheels to ever pickup goats or sheep or something, we will be ready!
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We never have a car that is over 3-4 years old, so the "If one Breaks" scenario is mitigated. They come with free towing, maintenance and fixing, so if it ever occurred it would be a minor inconvenience. So far so good going on 15 years. We may go back to a SUV some time, but quite enjoy nice sedan.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
This is exactly our situation. I don’t have a spreadsheet tracking our movements but I’m pretty sure the times we need to go opposite directions at the same time are rare.
It was super easy for us to figure out. Shortly before retiring, I had gotten a new SUV replacing a 12 year old car. Our second nicer car sat in the garage unused for many months after I retired. DH doesn’t care to drive. Most of our away from home activities were done together. So it was obvious.

Full-time RVing - can only tow one car.

Back to a house, never got a second car. At home now DH uses his bike for most of his activities and we don’t go out much - mostly just to run errands which we do together.

The only time we ever need a backup now is every two or three years some car work that requires a long wait at a dealer across town. It’s more convenient then to have the nearby Enterprise pick us up and rent us a car for day. That works out beautifully.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I think what we might do long term is keep two cars but the second one can be inexpensive. We helped one of our kids buy an under $10K car this year - low maintenance, good MPG and should be good for another 100K miles, so I can see keeping a car like that for a backup car.

The second car comes in handy for us when one is getting repaired or one of the kids flys home to visit and borrows our second car.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not fully retired. My last car only increased 3,000 miles each year. So after it was totaled in an accident, I decided to go car free.
My wife has a car. I think we will have one car in retirement.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
But by gum, when we need wheels to ever pickup goats or sheep or something, we will be ready!
We have hauled both, along with hay, firewood, scrap metal, appliances, lumber, bags of quikrete, dirt bikes, and even a camper.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
$300 a month is a lot of money I think i deserve a new fishing rod don’t you. Was anyone else surprised?
A new rod, definitely, but are you sure you don't also deserve a nice new Shimano reel?
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And to really test it out and get comfortable with the new rod, say a week in the Keys or appropriate waterway?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
And to really test it out and get comfortable with the new rod, say a week in the Keys or appropriate waterway?

That’s the plan Sarasota early spring...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote